Options

what was wrong with the Prism advert though?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 26
Forum Member
i don't quite see what L_S or his advisors were getting at with that one

i thought the start with the rock music (what tune is that, btw?) was really good, the voiceover KINDA worked, good slogan. the actors/models walking in could have looked a bit classier but for a rush job it was pretty solid

what's the glaring flaw?

was just thinking how i'd do one of these adverts. Fosters, Carlsberg, Jack Daniels, WKD have all had great campaigns... but maybe for a one-off ad you don't have the same possibilities

Smirnoff CGI one is ace but the budget is probably £10 million :D

i think i would have done something with focus on 'light' (hence Prism) with classical music. the piano 1m10s into this piece
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JlMHjo7Jwhk
always made me think of sunlight breaking through the clouds or curtains. maybe a long shot through a window of traffic moving at night, the focus slowly changing until we see a bottle of Prism and a couple at a table (in front of the window), the piano melody starting at just that moment. then the slogan on screen and chris saying 'Yeeeah' :p

Comments

• Options
    allafixallafix Posts: 20,690
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What was right with it? The opening shot which he spent so much time on was truly terrible, then the three punters prancing past the camera like idiots. Why didn't they walk in together?? The only good thing was his strapline, which wasn't unique to the ad. I saw no comparison with the wit of the WKD or Smirnoff ads.

Stella had a rather cheesy bar scene, but it was OK visually. Neither ad was great, but at least hers appeared to be a decent attempt.
  • Options
    chewstickchewstick Posts: 610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Brando wrote: »
    i don't quite see what L_S or his advisors were getting at with that one

i thought the start with the rock music (what tune is that, btw?) was really good, the voiceover KINDA worked, good slogan. the actors/models walking in could have looked a bit classier but for a rush job it was pretty solid

what's the glaring flaw?

was just thinking how i'd do one of these adverts. Fosters, Carlsberg, Jack Daniels, WKD have all had great campaigns... but maybe for a one-off ad you don't have the same possibilities

Smirnoff CGI one is ace but the budget is probably £10 million :D

i think i would have done something with focus on 'light' (hence Prism) with classical music. the piano 1m10s into this piece
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JlMHjo7Jwhk
    always made me think of sunlight breaking through the clouds or curtains. maybe a long shot through a window of traffic moving at night, the focus slowly changing until we see a bottle of Prism and a couple at a table (in front of the window), the piano melody starting at just that moment. then the slogan on screen and chris saying 'Yeeeah' :p

i think budget had a lot to do with it. it all seemed very rushed. Interestingly both finalists didn't go and oversee the taste of their drink, as Lord Sugar said surely the most important thing on the agenda.

ultimately Chris should have gone and over seen the colour, if he felt it was so important to be clear,
    One of the other factors missed with the Prism pink colour, when they said men wouldn't drink it,what about Gay Men?
    thought Stella was extremely clever with her move to the country part of her speech. i also thought Lord Sugar looked extremely unhappy when the presentations for the drinks were going on. maybe he felt a little embarrassed, as i did, but when your stood in front of corporate people who know the business inside out it must be very hard. I know because i froze once doing a speech at a corporate meeting, especially when the questions came flooding in, incidently they was much more probing than the ones put to Chris and Stella.
  • Options
    daniellehdanielleh Posts: 7,852
    Forum Member
    The opening shot of a drink being mixed for about 10 seconds, the cheesy voice over and the lack of any sort of plot made it useless. It looked a bit like a very low budget version of those awful West Coast cooler ads. The only thing good about it was the song, Elbow - Grounds for Divorce!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 202
    Forum Member
    The girl walking into an empty bar and waving at people was great, particularly on the last scene where the camera pans and there is no one else around them.
  • Options
    JepsonJepson Posts: 3,221
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Having people serially walk into a bar is naff. Particularly if the bar is empty.

Does anyone remember those grotesquely embarrassing cinema ad's where there was a (reasonably) professionally made ad and then a completely different voice would be dubbed on at the end with the name of a local shop/curry house?

One of the most cringeworthy examples of that was a generic clothes shop advert where a girl was commenting on her friends clothing as they walked into the bar one by one.

It was absolutely dire and the second part of Chris's ad immediately brought it back to mind.

But I don't think it was a bad attempt given the limited time he had. I've see worse 'real' ad's.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 336
    Forum Member
    Most of the advert was spent watching 3 people walking into the bar rather naffly , where as in the other one the name of the drink was spocken at least 4/5 times in the first 20 secs.......
  • Options
    Aaron_ScotlandAaron_Scotland Posts: 8,487
    Forum Member
    mrlimbo wrote: »
    Most of the advert was spent watching 3 people walking into the bar rather naffly , where as in the other one the name of the drink was spocken at least 4/5 times in the first 20 secs.......

Exactly, I was watching people enter a dead bar, The other advert had people enjoying the product.
  • Options
    Raven123Raven123 Posts: 3,468
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was far too long, most of it was unnecessary, the acting was terrible.

I like someone's idea of elegance and the piano, like a film noir peice, that would have worked.

Urbon wasn't much better, it had a plot, that was the main thing, the cock up in that was how the girl knew what Urbon was, but none of the others did, it should have been the bar man recommending it to them.
  • Options
    JustinCredibleJustinCredible Posts: 19,647
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The only thing that could have made the Prism advert worse would have been a girl dressed as an octopus.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,431
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    For me, the aim of the brand wasn't clear enough. Urbon clearly showed it wanted to bring burbon to young people, in particular women, whereas Prism (despite being more creative) didn't really have much aim.
  • Options
    iainiain Posts: 63,929
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's all relative - compared to most ads they do on the show, it was one of the better ones, but compared to a lot of ads in the real world, not great. But then, most ads in the real world aren't conceived and produced by someone with no ad experience in 24 hours.

Iain