Options

Any ideas what will replace Bid and Price drop?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 40
Forum Member
Ok I'm going to be the first one to ask!

Due to the demise of Bid and Price drop (such a shame.... Lol :p) that leaves space on freeview for 2 new channels... But who will take them?
Sony? JML? More from CBS?

Comments

• Options
    David_AylingDavid_Ayling Posts: 819
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ok I'm going to be the first one to ask!

Due to the demise of Bid and Price drop (such a shame.... Lol :p) that leaves space on freeview for 2 new channels... But who will take them?
    Sony? JML? More from CBS?

i would go with sony movie channel. to replace bid. but as price drop is on com 7. i would go with one of these to chartshow tv or sony movie channel +1.
  • Options
    MarkynottsMarkynotts Posts: 5,255
    Forum Member
    They currently have a "technical problems" screen showing with the channel music playing in a loop. Apparently normal service will resume shortly - or not
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 40
    Forum Member
    KPMG have already announced that the company is kaput
  • Options
    Fairyprincess0Fairyprincess0 Posts: 30,087
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Both channels with 'technical difficulties'.... Pull the other one.
  • Options
    hyperstarspongehyperstarsponge Posts: 16,707
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Price Drop is only on Freeview HD so not much interest there. The SD slot however will have a bidding war :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've wanted bid tv to go for ages..... Jewellery channel/ gems tv next, please.....
  • Options
    AngusMastAngusMast Posts: 5,153
    Forum Member
    LCN 23 will be allocated to local TV in Wales and Scotland

I think ITV will gain LCN 26 under the associated channel rules.

After that it gets a bit complicated
  • Options
    fmradiotuner1fmradiotuner1 Posts: 20,500
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ITV Encore is meant to be coming soon?
  • Options
    robotrobot Posts: 1,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

But not on Freeview......
  • Options
    mseven1mseven1 Posts: 995
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

On Sky I think ITV Encore is going to be on channel 123 using the already ready channel "ITV4 Plus" on channel 193
  • Options
    EastEast Posts: 926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sony Movie Channel would be welcome.
  • Options
    1andrew11andrew1 Posts: 4,088
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ITV will be Sky only at launch and unlikely to ever be on a non-pay platform. However, ITV Be is set to join Freeview. http://www.itv.com/presscentre/press-releases/itv-launch-itvbe#.U1B36KKRj9s
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    1andrew1 wrote: »
    ITV will be Sky only at launch and unlikely to ever be on a non-pay platform. However, ITV Be is set to join Freeview. http://www.itv.com/presscentre/press-releases/itv-launch-itvbe#.U1B36KKRj9s

They might join freeview when they get a high amount of viewers and free to air would make more money through advertising than being part of a subscription
  • Options
    linkinpark875linkinpark875 Posts: 29,703
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I remember they came at a time when Freeview had about 25 channels. I always felt they took up good space. I don't mind teleshopping at night but it was a waste of space.

What should replace it? CBS Action and CBS Drama or CNBC or The Vault.
  • Options
    RadiogramRadiogram Posts: 3,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've wanted bid tv to go for ages..... Jewellery channel/ gems tv next, please.....

Yesssss.....more job losses please. Deary me.
  • Options
    linkinpark875linkinpark875 Posts: 29,703
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Radiogram wrote: »

The chances are when a new channel replaces it they might hire extra staff anyway.

Plus these shopping channels could stay on air but only on Sky not Freeview.
  • Options
    JacquicrosslandJacquicrossland Posts: 757
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Now that they are showing Classic Doctor Who from tonight, I'd love to see the Horror Channel take a space to go with their freesat, Sky and Virgin places. Alternatively a classic music channel such as Vintage TV.
  • Options
    JacquicrosslandJacquicrossland Posts: 757
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    . I always felt they took up good space. I don't mind teleshopping at night but it was a waste of space.

But there should be a couple of general entertainment channels at night for those who work shifts or get up at the crack of dawn. ITV used to do this in its regions many years ago. Rolling news is often just a repeat on a loop as ITN News used to do. And Teleshopping is just the same product on many different channels.
  • Options
    1andrew11andrew1 Posts: 4,088
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mseven1 wrote: »
    They might join freeview when they get a high amount of viewers and free to air would make more money through advertising than being part of a subscription
    The whole point of ITV Encore is to get another revenue stream - pay TV - on top of advertising which is under threat. It's not a Film4 situation this time round, times have changed.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I obviously don't mean it quite like that. I just mean if it became a choice between loosing peoples jobs, and spending money on a freeview slot, then they should choose the latter rather then the former....
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But there should be a couple of general entertainment channels at night for those who work shifts or get up at the crack of dawn. ITV used to do this in its regions many years ago. Rolling news is often just a repeat on a loop as ITN News used to do. And Teleshopping is just the same product on many different channels.

The horror channel would be perfect for this....
  • Options
    gottagogottago Posts: 14,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The chances are when a new channel replaces it they might hire extra staff anyway.

They're not going to hire anywhere near as many staff as a shopping channel would.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I remember they came at a time when Freeview had about 25 channels. I always felt they took up good space. I don't mind teleshopping at night but it was a waste of space.

What should replace it? CBS Action and CBS Drama or CNBC or The Vault.

What channel goes there would need a broadcasting licence for freeview and have the money to pay to be listed on freeview.

It depends if a company does buy the channels or the company, it is possible for the company to be bought still.
    1andrew1 wrote: »
    The whole point of ITV Encore is to get another revenue stream - pay TV - on top of advertising which is under threat. It's not a Film4 situation this time round, times have changed.

It depends on how much Sky will be paying ITV from the subscription. Sky wants more and high quality channels so that they can make their subscriptions more appealing. If Sky don't make being a subscription channel appealing for ITV Encore then ITV might decide to go free to air like what happened with channel 4's channels
  • Options
    Pink KnightPink Knight Posts: 24,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The only channel that Freesat has over freeview for me is a horror channel.
    Was thinking of freesat, but if it appeared on freeview I wouldn't bother.
  • Options
    Ivor FannyIvor Fanny Posts: 969
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i think it will be replaced by

http://cockshopping.webeden.co.uk/