His speaking voice?

Psycho_KittyPsycho_Kitty Posts: 1,670
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Did he really speak with that soft type of voice 24-7?

I ask this, as one of the news presenters were interviewing someone that knew him and they said that he didn't speak with that soft-type voice behind closed doors.

Is it only me that didn't know that?:o

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17,470
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Presumably his voice would have broken at some point, but he seems to have attempted to retain his childhood pitch into adult life.

This is also a factor in his adult singing voice being rather poor, in my opinion.
  • FrostyDemonFrostyDemon Posts: 113
    Forum Member
    His real voice was supposedly the deeper one but its said he liked the idea of people seeing him as something other than "normal" as he then felt he could hide the real him away (and he does seem to have had two completely different sides to him). I thought him using the normal voice at the press conference was a good indication he'd realised that was a mistake and was going to try and have some semblance of normality again as a performer.
  • KnifeEdgeKnifeEdge Posts: 3,919
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It appears his whole life was about illusion and fakery.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14,457
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Many of his friends have said his voice was deeper behind closed doors. MJ was an entertainer, it was all part of his act.
  • You_moYou_mo Posts: 11,334
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    All part of the 'child like', 'innocent' 'gullible', 'naive', 'asexual' etc. etc. persona that the millionaire entertainer and businessman built around his life. It came in useful.
    Forum Member
    KnifeEdge wrote: »
    It appears his whole life was about illusion and fakery.

Think about it from his point of view, he had to do that to have any kind of private life. Most performers have "off time" when they aren't around people and can be themselves, with him he was easily the most reognisable person on the planet - he couldn't go anywhere or do anything privately without loads of people being involved.
  • KnifeEdgeKnifeEdge Posts: 3,919
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Think about it from his point of view, he had to do that to have any kind of private life. Most performers have "off time" when they aren't around people and can be themselves, with him he was easily the most reognisable person on the planet - he couldn't go anywhere or do anything privately without loads of people being involved.

I think there was only one MJ at the end, the lines between public and private had blurred. I dont think he was mentally strong enough to separate the two!
    Forum Member
    KnifeEdge wrote: »
    I think there was only one MJ at the end, the lines between public and private had blurred. I dont think he was mentally strong enough to separate the two!

Yeah agreed. It does all seem to have been a big act that he kept up for years and it simply became too much for him to handle, both mentally and physically. The tour must have privately freaked him out quite a bit but then he needed the money. The whole thing is a catch 22 situation - thats why the timing does seem incredibly suspicious but it doesn't seem like foul play.

I think there is the very very slim possibility that this doctor could have possibly helped him end it all - yes screwing his own life up in the process but then there were people who would do anything for him. The kids being around and the lengths the doctor was trying to take to revive him kinda make that extremely unlikely.
  • RooftopcowboyRooftopcowboy Posts: 7,234
    Forum Member
    meant to have been deeper behind closed doors, and at his press conference to announce the tour it was notably deeper.

i think the voice he used in his 1993 statement about child abuse allegations is his 'real' voice, due to the obvious seriousness of the statement.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 15,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've met people who as Adults speak with supposed Kids voices. Cyndi Lauper is one of them.

It's hardly a crime. His voice was just very soft like his sister's Janet and LaToya and Brother Jermaine and practically the whole Jackson Klan. They all seem quite shy and if you are scared to speak up for yourself most of your life you can develop a habit of speaking a certain way.
  • RooftopcowboyRooftopcowboy Posts: 7,234
    Forum Member
    I've met people who as Adults speak with supposed Kids voices. Cyndi Lauper is one of them.

It's hardly a crime. His voice was just very soft like his sister's Janet and LaToya and Brother Jermaine and practically the whole Jackson Klan. They all seem quite shy and if you are scared to speak up for yourself most of your life you can develop a habit of speaking a certain way.

Jermaine or Latoya said on celebrity big brother, that they were punished for speaking loudly by their father, he wanted them to be 'seen but not heard'
  • Psycho_KittyPsycho_Kitty Posts: 1,670
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jermaine or Latoya said on celebrity big brother, that they were punished for speaking loudly by their father, he wanted them to be 'seen but not heard'

Aww that's sad.:(
  • Pisces CloudPisces Cloud Posts: 30,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You_mo wrote: »
    All part of the 'child like', 'innocent' 'gullible', 'naive', 'asexual' etc. etc. persona that the millionaire entertainer and businessman built around his life. It came in useful.

Agreed.
  • Rio FantasticRio Fantastic Posts: 820
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Here is the explanation.
  • floopy123floopy123 Posts: 6,003
    Forum Member
    I think his real voice was a tad deeper but still very much 'Michael Jackson' sounding. All singers alter their voices when they sing. Listen to Amy Winehouse speak in real life and then hear her sing. World's apart!

I guess he put on a higher speaking voice to appeal to his fans.

Marilyn Monroe's real voice was never heard in any of her films. She had a lower, adult voice in real life. She gave an interview once and she spoke with her real voice.

And there's British comedian Joe Pasquale. His voice is very squeaky and high! You wouldn't believe it's his real voice but it seems to be!
  • glyn9799glyn9799 Posts: 7,391
    Forum Member
    I've got no idea how he spoke behind closed doors, but i thought his voice was quite deep (or deeper than usual) at his o2 press conference in March.

I used to think that he, Janet and LeToya all sounded the same :p