Options

Has Bonfire Night lost it's appeal?

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53,142
    Forum Member
    Remember the tv advert about warning of fireworks and sparklers ? Dont see them much now..they have kids throwing fireworks and a little kid picking up the burnt sparkler..i havent seen it for years
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Orangemaid wrote: »
    Remember the tv advert about warning of fireworks and sparklers ? Dont see them much now..they have kids throwing fireworks and a little kid picking up the burnt sparkler..i havent seen it for years

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KAB37o44aec

Ahhh memories
  • Options
    Vodka_DrinkaVodka_Drinka Posts: 28,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's funny I've noticed I haven't heard as many fireworks on the run up this year. It used to be that you'd hear them from around mid October onwards, but this year that's not happened and I've only started hearing them over the past couple of days. Last night there were loads. I wonder if it's because shops are stricter about who they sell them to now? My brother got I'D when he tried to buy some last year and he was 25 at the time! Let's be honest it was usually chavvy teenagers who set them off ages before Bonfire Night.

I do think that this new custom of letting fireworks off at midnight on New Years Eve has taken the shine off November the 5th though.
  • Options
    StarDeltaStarDelta Posts: 485
    Forum Member
    November 1972 when I last let off fireworks they were free as I worked for Standard Fireworks, mind you everyday there could be an unwanted display on the site. In the rocket packing shed even the lights were outside shining through the windows.
  • Options
    valkayvalkay Posts: 15,726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    StarDelta wrote: »
    November 1972 when I last let off fireworks they were free as I worked for Standard Fireworks, mind you everyday there could be an unwanted display on the site. In the rocket packing shed even the lights were outside shining through the windows.

"Remember, remember the 5th of November, and light up the sky with Standard fireworks".
  • Options
    woofwoof77woofwoof77 Posts: 2,166
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I couldnt give 2 figs about bonfire night. Standing in the cold to see a few coloured lights in the sky...well woopie doo:rolleyes:

my poor dog is terrified , and i also dont like the bangs.

I really wish it would sh*t down with rain here but its as dry as a bone.
  • Options
    danletodanleto Posts: 2,777
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Funny how people moan about the Government and then go and celebrate Guy Fawkes being caught... hypocrites. :)
  • Options
    steve1488steve1488 Posts: 434
    Forum Member
    Bonfire night should be done away with.
  • Options
    teresagreenteresagreen Posts: 16,444
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i've better things to spend my money on, and the local authority don't bother much in these parts.
  • Options
    Elphie_LivesElphie_Lives Posts: 4,455
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I saw plenty of people buying fireworks in the past few days, up the road from me there's a display and as always at Glasgow Green. I can see the display up the road from me from my loft so we always just watch from there.

I like Bonfire night, as someone else said, it's the countdown to Xmas for me.
  • Options
    JAS84JAS84 Posts: 7,430
    Forum Member
    Bonfire Night? My local council cancelled the main fireworks display. Scrooges.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,680
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its as popular as ever where I live, there are a large number of organised displays locally but people still seem to have parties in the back garden on my estate.
  • Options
    topptopp Posts: 2,704
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's all going off around here Has been for last few days. More so than last year. :eek:
  • Options
    Blackjack DavyBlackjack Davy Posts: 1,166
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I blame do-gooders who are always trying to ban fireworks and sanitise everything out of existance. Lewes Bonfire Society carry burning torches and other objects down the street and have huge bonfires - and damn its exciting. That and the American cultural influence - we had never heard of Trick or Treat when we were kids - it's too close to November 5th. Does anyone still do Penny for the Guy anymore? We did when we were kids but I havn't seen anyone do it for more years than I can remember. Seems to have been replaced by american pumpkins and Trick or Treat.

There also seems to have been a concerted effort to if not exactly ban it, but to try and ignore it by the government and any kind of official body. Perhaps they're embarressed because celebrating the death of a terrorist is non-PC? I remember when they used to have firework displays on the BBC on bonfire night - now they seem to pretend it doesn't exist yet they'll quite happily get into the hallow'een spirit with pumpkins and movies on the night.

It's still pretty popular around here. It's been flashes and bangs here for hours. We had our fireworks yesterday, great fun.
  • Options
    davisadavisa Posts: 698
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    "Has Bonfire Night lost it's appeal?"

Not in our household.

Just back from taking my 3 1/2 year old to his first firework display - our local village display so very traditional. His face glowed with such an expression of absolute amazement, excitement and enjoyment I wish I could share it here!
  • Options
    spookyLXspookyLX Posts: 11,730
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Last went to a proper display a few years ago at Crystal Palace nothing since then tbh .

when I was a kid we lived in Germany as my dad was in the Army , We used to go to the Army bonfire on base which was just amazing , huge bonfire , spectacular fireworks and a massive BQ .

In my eyes nothing still can quite compete with them days :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think the idea of both Halloween or Bonfire Night have lost their appeal but people are not happy with what they are becoming. I'm only 25 but the difference from when I was a kid is amazing.

Halloween
    Yesteryear - All us kids would go and camp near a graveyard and tell ghost stories, we knew the theory behind all hallows eve, we'd go on ghost walks and remember legendary spirits
    Today -Adults dressing like superman and going to a party and getting pissed, Children dressing like John Cena, Spiderman or basically anything that isn't a monster/scary, going round knocking on doors for free sweets and egging windows if you don't give em anything.

Bonfire Night
    Yesteryear - going 'Progging' for wood from anywhere for the fire, all the family and friends coming round to the local field/back garden letting off all the fireworks everyone had chipped in for, eating pie, peas and mint sauce, kids waving sparklers, going home smelling of that lovely sulphur.
    Today - barely any local firework displays due to local councils having no money and far too many health and safety nuts worrying about burned fingers. No home displays anymore as nowhere has any community spirit anymore and most neighbours would complain about the noise, smell and the fact your stopping their fat ass's from enjoying Corrie!!

Basically everything is becoming Americanized or being stopped due to half the world being twice as miserable as it used to be.

The nights themselfs haven't lost their appeal, there's just very few communities that have the spirit left that it takes to make the night properly enjoyable
  • Options
    bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    With November 5th coming up, I have noticed a distinct silence around my way, with hardly any bangers or rockets being let off early. I remember years ago you'd have two weeks worth of incessant fireworks going off rightly or wrongly. Even the organised displays seem to be dwindling. Has the health and safety red tape finally put paid to one of our traditions. What does everyone think?

Just not the money around. I remember back in 2006, the amo9unt of fireworks going off were far greater and far noisier. Really loud very deep bangs. Not had that in more recent years.

Tonight is a bit of a damp squib.
  • Options
    SeasideLadySeasideLady Posts: 20,775
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It has around here - hardly heard anything tonight - they must all be happening tomorrow instead. Perhaps Strictly and X-Factor are more of a pull than going to see fireworks on a Saturday night.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It has around here - hardly heard anything tonight - they must all be happening tomorrow instead. Perhaps Strictly and X-Factor are more of a pull than going to see fireworks on a Saturday night.

An unfortunate truth about today's society
  • Options
    Mad Dog123Mad Dog123 Posts: 40
    Forum Member
    Halloween has always been far better than crappy Bon Fire Night.

Oh and people who complain about 'Americanization' need to grow up.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,285
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mad Dog123 wrote: »
    Halloween has always been far better than crappy Bon Fire Night.

Oh and people who complain about 'Americanization' need to grow up.

Why do people need to grow up about stating something that seems to be occuring in our country? It's an observation, not a childish remark.
  • Options
    themealgangthemealgang Posts: 375
    Forum Member
    It's actually shocking the amount of people that don't know the real meaning behind Bonfire Night. If you think about it, today should be quite a patriotic day, so in that sense, it should never loose it's appeal. Fireworks will never get old. They have the power to marvel and wow everyone, and with all the technologies coming in, the possibilities for fireworks in the future are near enough endless.
  • Options
    Mad Dog123Mad Dog123 Posts: 40
    Forum Member
    Why do people need to grow up about stating something that seems to be occuring in our country? It's an observation, not a childish remark.

What's wrong with Americanization? We don't have an interesting culture of our own and that's the truth. What do we celebrate in this country huh? A couple of people having a wedding who'll be king and queen but only because their blood is better than us poor 'commoners'?
  • Options
    Killer GorillaKiller Gorilla Posts: 3,672
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    An unfortunate truth about today's society
    Hardly, TV ratings for Saturday Night light entertainment on TV were far higher in the 70s and 80s.