Options

The Walking Dead Season 2 (US Pace) [Spoilers MUST be in tags!]

Comments

• Options
    starman700starman700 Posts: 3,113
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would definitely invest in silencers for the guns,then you would not have to worry about attracting extra walkers
  • Options
    2FS2FS Posts: 8,679
    Forum Member
    What I dont get is why they dont make better use of body armour.....

Agree. Especially when they are exploring.

Not much in the way of defences either, aside from a few fences and lookouts.

Some pits and barriers would have been useful, not like the Walkers are smart enough to avoid them.
  • Options
    CroctacusCroctacus Posts: 18,298
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pitchforks would be handy weapons.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 308
    Forum Member
    starman700 wrote: »
    I would definitely invest in silencers for the guns,then you would not have to worry about attracting extra walkers

"pedant mode on"

Actually silencers, or more acurately, suppressors, don't have the effect that the movies would have you believe. They merely reduce the report of the attached weapon to a level where the shooter doesn't need to wear ear defenders. So if the walkers are within earshot, they would still hear the weapon fire. An upside of the use of suppression is that they make the barrel of the gun longer, improving accuracy. But the only "silent" weapons are crossbows, hunting bows and edged weapons.

And on the subject of firearms, the group would be better off using smaller calibre weapons. Reduced muzle velocities on .22 calibre weapons mean that if you put a shot in the brain, the bullet will often bounce around in the brainpan, guaranteeing a kill. Rick's cannon might be spectacular, but it has a high velocity, meaning the shot only destroys the brain at close range. At longer ranges there is every chance that the bullet will pass straight through the skull, actually destroying very little brain matter.

For melee weapons, there is no substitute for blunt force. An edged weapon or spike combined with a heavy weight on the other end would be the best of both worlds. And never underestimate the effectiveness of a well swung sharpened shovel.

" pedant mode off"
  • Options
    Biffo the BearBiffo the Bear Posts: 25,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Actually, a silencer coupled with subsonic ammunition can produce a 'film style' silencer effect - in fact, it's better than the films insofar as it merely generates a 'click'. The obvious downside is that subsonic ammunition has far less power behind it and therefore range. But if you were fighting zombies, it would probably be preferable to be up close to ensure a head shot. And if you were using subsonic dumdums or similar up close with a heavy silencer, they'd be lethal and virtually silent.
  • Options
    StressMonkeyStressMonkey Posts: 13,347
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Actually, a silencer coupled with subsonic ammunition can produce a 'film style' silencer effect - in fact, it's better than the films insofar as it merely generates a 'click'. The obvious downside is that subsonic ammunition has far less power behind it and therefore range. But if you were fighting zombies, it would probably be preferable to be up close to ensure a head shot. And if you were using subsonic dumdums or similar up close with a heavy silencer, they'd be lethal and virtually silent.

No - they go 'phoot' - I've seen the films!!:D
  • Options
    MenoetiusMenoetius Posts: 1,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A silencer, or moderator, fitted to a .22 rimfire rifle using subsonic rounds results in next to no noise. If you used a centre fire rifle, such as .223, .243, .270 etc then the moderator wouldn't do much to help. The zombies would hear these being fired.

Don't know how well a .22 rimfire round would do against a zombie, though. Normally used for rabbits. That being said, a hole in the head is a hole in the head. So they might do the job.
  • Options
    Forum Member

Valid point, but unless they find black powder and start making their own ammunition, it's unlikely they'd come across a gunstore with stock they could get at. Then again I'm from the UK, so I don't know where they would be able to find .supplies.

Thanks for the heads up.... you learn something new every day here.
  • Options
    doom&gloomdoom&gloom Posts: 9,051
    Forum Member
    Since this series lives in the fictional world of television then any silencers used would make the same noise they do in any TV series or film.

Chainsaws have been effective in other zombie films, basically almost anything would be better than a knife because as you're stabbing it in the head it could bite your hand and then it's all over since even a scratch can zombify you.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Then again I'm from the UK, so I don't know where they would be able to find .supplies.

If zombies do appear I should be ok. Give me a shout if you're stuck.

I work at a gunsmiths selling guns and ammo.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Menoetius wrote: »
    If zombies do appear I should be ok. Give me a shout if you're stuck.

I work at a gunsmiths selling guns and ammo.

Thanks.... i'll give you a shout when I need a BFG :D

On a different note, one of the best weapons they could find would be...A library.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    On a different note, one of the best weapons they could find would be...A library.

You'd have to use a silencer in a library.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Menoetius wrote: »
    You'd have to use a silencer in a library.

kinda walked into that one, didn't I :D
  • Options
    Stuart_hStuart_h Posts: 5,311
    Forum Member
    loracan wrote: »
    I've got a hoe in the shed, I can get that sharpened if the need arises!

Would a strimmer work ?

(obvioulsy with a long power cable)

:D
  • Options
    CorwinCorwin Posts: 16,609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Saw this posted elsewhere.

What a happy show that seems to be.
  • Options
    Jimmy_McNultyJimmy_McNulty Posts: 11,378
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Silencer? Pfft. Where are the miniguns? Sorts the men from the boys.
  • Options
    threecheesesthreecheeses Posts: 23,936
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Corwin wrote: »

How can anyone click 'dislike' on that?:confused:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stuart_h wrote: »
    Would a strimmer work ?

(obvioulsy with a long power cable)

I know a rotary lawn mower strapped to the chest and facing outwards works. Runs off petrol too so mains power isn't needed.

I've got a shovel out the back that could be sharpened but I've no idea where to get guns or silencers from when the outbreak occurs in London.
  • Options
    CroctacusCroctacus Posts: 18,298
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There's a gun shop in Welling.
  • Options
    bigheatherbigheather Posts: 694
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    doom&gloom wrote: »
    Scythes were replaced by tractors long ago so I doubt there would be many about.

You could make a spear by sharpening the end of a branch of wood.

They could tell Carl on no account is he to wander off into the woods on his own and collect suitable branches. Result ... a handy pile of spears :p
  • Options
    AvillerAviller Posts: 397
    Forum Member
    Hardly - once you know that anyone dying will reanimate you just make sure that you take measures to stop it after they die (i.e. shot/spike/whatever to the head of the just deceased).

It's not like there are teeming masses of humans still alive to be turned into zombies anyway. From the looks of things the dead vastly outnumber the living.

In a 'realistic' (as realistic as a scenario about undead people can be) world the zombie threat would be over after a few years as weather and decay takes its toll. Of course you'd still have to be vigilant for walkers that 'weathered well' for quite some time.

After that I'm sure that the few surviving humans would as a matter of course implement measures upon death to prevent any re-emergence of the threat and would be vigilant for any further 'outbreaks' where zombies were able to gather in numbers.

So it does make a huge difference. In a world in which only a bite infects you, you can go about your daily live in a normal manner once the Zombie threat has been eliminated. But if the virus is within you, anything can happen once you bite the dust. I'd say the latter is a rathing discomforting scenario.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 315
    Forum Member
    What I dont get is why they dont make better use of body armour.....

They will make use of
    riot gear
    in the next season ... if they take the lead from the comics (which I think they are doing settingwise, if not deathwise :D)
  • Options
    SquiggleSquiggle Posts: 2,547
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Corwin wrote: »

Okay, that made me chuckle. Nice way to use the theme song to the 80's sitcom, Growing Pains. :D
  • Options
    Fried KickinFried Kickin Posts: 60,132
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've been reflecting on this season and I'm coming to the conclusion that a show like this needs to be on the move every week.
    New towns,new people,new fears,new danger.

Do I really care about Lori getting uppity because Andrea doesn't do the dishes?
    Or if Mike TeaVee is being brought up correctly?
    Am I concerned about a catatonic blonde laying in bed all day long?

I for one hope the move from the farm (assuming there is one of course) isn't just to another low budget location where they can sit around and wait for the odd walker to turn up . :o
  • Options
    Inky BinkyInky Binky Posts: 2,261
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just a heads up for those in the US who plan on recording tonight's season finale to watch at a later time. The runtime is 62 minutes - not the normal 60. So make sure you add the extra 2 minutes when you set up your DVR. I have never used a DVR so I don't know if it does it automatically.