How do media know that a suspect has been arrested?

From time to time, one reads reports in the media that a suspect has been arrested. I know that from time to time the police make a statement to the media that a suspect has been arrested (without naming the suspect), but I also know that this does not always happen. Does anybody, especially anybody who has any knowledge of the police and/or media, know how information about police investigations, especially arrests, is provided, by official or unofficial means, to the media, and how these stories tend subsequently to develop?

Comments

• U96U96 Posts: 13,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Going on the current Policing standards.I'd have to say it's all about paid informers within the Police.
    It's all about the money,money,money.....
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,341
    Forum Member
    The media (Mainly the dai;y sun, daily star and daily mirror's) definition of suspected/allegations-
    GUILTY even before coming to trial or before the investigation by the proper legal authority's over.
    The recent JS case is a good example.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    From time to time, one reads reports in the media that a suspect has been arrested. I know that from time to time the police make a statement to the media that a suspect has been arrested (without naming the suspect), but I also know that this does not always happen. Does anybody, especially anybody who has any knowledge of the police and/or media, know how information about police investigations, especially arrests, is provided, by official or unofficial means, to the media, and how these stories tend subsequently to develop?

The police press officer releases a statement. There are no unofficial means. Some press speculate a lot.
  • U96U96 Posts: 13,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    motsy wrote: »
    The media (Mainly the dai;y sun, daily star and daily mirror's) definition of suspected/allegations-
    GUILTY even before coming to trial or before the investigation's over.

The Witchfinder General would be proud.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7
    Forum Member
    woodbush wrote: »
    The police press officer releases a statement. There are no unofficial means. Some press speculate a lot.

Sorry, I could have been more clear. When I say "unofficial" I don't mean unofficial police sources, I mean information given, or even sold, to the media by neighbours, passers-by, family, friends, and colleagues of the suspect or of witnesses, and even corrupt witnesses. I think it unlikely that unofficial sources such as these do not exist. In fact, I *know* that they exist. Look at the arrest of Christopher Jefferies. Most, indeed almost all, of the information published by the media was sourced unofficially, not from police sources.
    Forum Member
    GUILTY even before coming to trial or before the investigation by the proper legal authority's over.

I'm not talking about trial by media. I just want to know how the information reaches the media.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,837
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do you remember when that lady in Bristol got strangled by a Dutch man and the media printed a front page story about how her landlord did it with full page pic? I wonder how much compensation he got, if any
  • ribtickleribtickle Posts: 6,361
    Forum Member
    Maybe in some high profile cases the media listen in to police radio frequencies with scanners, and this way they're alerted to someone being picked up and brought in for questioning.

If that person doesn't emerge from the police station after a certain length of time, as seen by reporters who are then assembled outside, they conclude the person must have been charged/not released on bail, or they get confirmation of that after pestering the sergeant.
  • little dilbertlittle dilbert Posts: 115
    Forum Member
    The filth tell them, the scummy po po.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry, I could have been more clear. When I say "unofficial" I don't mean unofficial police sources, I mean information given, or even sold, to the media by neighbours, passers-by, family, friends, and colleagues of the suspect or of witnesses, and even corrupt witnesses. I think it unlikely that unofficial sources such as these do not exist. In fact, I *know* that they exist. Look at the arrest of Christopher Jefferies. Most, indeed almost all, of the information published by the media was sourced unofficially, not from police sources.

He received substantial damages from the media. Once he was arrested the police said nothing.

You can't stop family and neighbours speculating and saying things, that's what the media rely on. They just hope they are right. Often they are not..

Look at the Philpots, what a huge support they had. Now charged with murder.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The filth tell them, the scummy po po.

They don't.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do you remember when that lady in Bristol got strangled by a Dutch man and the media printed a front page story about how her landlord did it with full page pic? I wonder how much compensation he got, if any

The news tells you Eight newspapers paid damages.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/greenslade/2011/jul/29/joanna-yeates-national-newspapers
  • little dilbertlittle dilbert Posts: 115
    Forum Member
    They don't.

Yes they do.
    Forum Member
    I had hoped that this thread would not degenerate into an opportunity to bash the police. I have had a lot to do with the police recently, and I can say that every single officer and civilian with whom I have had to deal has been great. I certainly don't believe that they will be tipping off any journalists as to the progress of their investigation.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes they do.

They don't release the name until they have been charged. The press may well name them though.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had hoped that this thread would not degenerate into an opportunity to bash the police. I have had a lot to do with the police recently, and I can say that every single officer and civilian with whom I have had to deal has been great. I certainly don't believe that they will be tipping off any journalists as to the progress of their investigation.

The Met police did, That's why some have been arrested and bailed.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,341
    Forum Member
    They just hope they are right. Often they are not..

If not, they just make it up (why else have all these 'allrgations' abouut JS come up?
    iI'VE GOT BAD NEWS FOR THE NEWSPAPERS, I',M GOING ALONG WITH INNOCENT UNTIL PROVEN GUILTY (BY THE PROPER LEGAL AUTHORITIES)!!
    No doubt they'll make somerthingh up about Me because I OPENLY DARE AND PUBLICLY DARE to dfsagree with them.

GOD HELP A TRIVIAL OFFENDER IF IT COMES DOWN TO TRIAL BY MEDIA!!
    Forum Member
    The Met police did, That's why some have been arrested and bailed.

Again, to be more precise, I meant the specific officers with whom I have been working. I've had the opportunity to build up a good degree of trust with them, and I'd be very, very surprised were any of these specific officers to involve themselves in behaviour of that sort.
  • jsmith99jsmith99 Posts: 20,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    U96 wrote: »
    The Witchfinder General would be proud.

There've been budget cuts - he's now the Witchfinder Sergeant.
    (I think that might belong to terry pratchett).
    ribtickle wrote: »
    Maybe in some high profile cases the media listen in to police radio frequencies with scanners......................

That was in 1960s films; they're all encrypted now. Err...I'm told.
  • Deep PurpleDeep Purple Posts: 63,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In high profile cases the media are all over, and find out plenty in the vicinity.

The Police wont name anyone until they are charged.
  • MesostimMesostim Posts: 52,864
    Forum Member
    If not, they just make it up (why else have all these 'allrgations' abouut JS come up?

Either that or he raped countless girls over several decades.:rolleyes:
  • CryolemonCryolemon Posts: 8,670
    Forum Member

He got quite a bit of compensation IIRC.
  • ribtickleribtickle Posts: 6,361
    Forum Member
    jsmith99 wrote: »

That was in 1960s films; they're all encrypted now. Err...I'm told.

I knew someone 12 years ago whose hobby was listening in via a handheld scanner he kept in his car. It picked the police up perfectly, although sometimes the transmissions were scrambled, but even then some of it was audible, enough to determine addresses, and he had developed the 'ear' for it.

My mother had a Ferguson radio in the 70s with all manner of radio bands on it. It could pick up air traffic, shipping, the crystal oscillator inside the television in the next room so the TV sound came over the radio, and the local police.

But maybe things are different in 2012, if they've gone all digital.
  • jackoljackol Posts: 7,887
    Forum Member
    iI'VE GOT BAD NEWS FOR THE NEWSPAPERS, I',M GOING ALONG WITH INNOCENT UNTIL PROVEN GUILTY (BY THE PROPER LEGAL AUTHORITIES)!!
    No doubt they'll make somerthingh up about Me because I OPENLY DARE AND PUBLICLY DARE to dfsagree with them.

GOD HELP A TRIVIAL OFFENDER IF IT COMES DOWN TO TRIAL BY MEDIA!!

Dont be so paranoid, how the hell do "they" know who you are