RTD's Last Weekeday Show

PubcrawlerPubcrawler Posts: 505
Forum Member
✭✭
Fantastic professional programme from Roger as usual filled with great music and tributes :D.
Very emotional :cry: and a perfect end record!
The complete programme will be on his website soon :(.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 446
    Forum Member
    It would be nice if OPs actually included who RTD actually is and what station he is on!

We dont all live in the same location so when people start threads on local radio without actually saying who or what they are talking about it just all seems so pointless.

We're not all mind readers.
  • bigd558bigd558 Posts: 215
    Forum Member
    I agree with everything you said. Even by Rogers high standards last nights was a brilliant show. He is a truly talented broadcaster.

It amazes me that the BBC can cancel something of this quality yet seem to have endless room, and money, for "Celebs" who dont even have basic radio skills.
  • Mapperley RidgeMapperley Ridge Posts: 9,922
    Forum Member
    bigd558 wrote: »
    I agree with everything you said. Even by Rogers high standards last nights was a brilliant show. He is a truly talented broadcaster.

It amazes me that the BBC can cancel something of this quality yet seem to have endless room, and money, for "Celebs" who dont even have basic radio skills.

Mark Forrest, who is replacing Roger Day, has considerable radio experience.
    Forum Member
    Sorry If I wasn't clear I wasn't meaning Mark replacing RTD.

What I mean is that these local radio cuts are about saving money.
    If the BBC stopped hiring "Celebs" and cut a few layers of management, they could surely afford to fund Local radio properly.
    Localness is one of the BBCs unique selling points so managers that think its a good idea to REDUCE local programming and replace it with a networked show are really indicitive of what is going wrong with the BBC.
  • PubcrawlerPubcrawler Posts: 505
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    QuincyMD wrote: »
    It would be nice if OPs actually included who RTD actually is and what station he is on!

We dont all live in the same location so when people start threads on local radio without actually saying who or what they are talking about it just all seems so pointless.

We're not all mind readers.

Sorry, I do apologise :rolleyes:.
    I presume that every one on here is a radio anorak like me :eek:
    RTD is the great broadcaster Roger "Twiggy" Day and his last weekday broadcast was on BBC Radio Kent on Friday night, truly a memorable evening.
    Here is the link to his website and his internet radio station "Uncool Radio".
    http://www.rogerday.co.uk/
  • norderneynorderney Posts: 772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    According to Roger Day's web site the tests for Uncool Radio have been very successful. He says......
    Response to Uncool Radio is unbelievable. My plan is to have a full line up of tests shows very soon and then come January the plan is to broadcast a daily show. Now a very important question for you. As I still have bills to pay I need income to keep the bailiff from the door. Would you be prepared to pay a fee to listen to my shows. I’m not talking mega bucks but say £1-£2 a month. Let me know if you think this is reasonable. The aim is to get so many listeners that I can get sponsorship and then the service can be free.

Uncool Radio sounds interesting but do you think he will get many people paying monthly for it when there are thousands of Internet radio channels from around the world available free of charge?
  • JELLIES0JELLIES0 Posts: 6,709
    Forum Member

So have lots of other BBC music presenters. It doesn't make necessarily them any good though ;)
  • Anthony_RyanAnthony_Ryan Posts: 445
    Forum Member
    JELLIES0 wrote: »
    So have lots of other BBC music presenters. It doesn't make necessarily them any good though ;)
    Mark Forrest was let go from the Classic FM breakfast show as a result of the listening figures for that time slot going down.
    It's possible that he might not last very long in his new national local 7.pm slot and that the BBC will come to realise that they were better off putting Roger Twiggy Day on weekday evenings.
  • Apprentice 2 SAApprentice 2 SA Posts: 2,342
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There is only one RTD. The ex show runner of DW. Now working on W&A.

If you're going to use abbreviations, use them correctly.

LOL

:D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,742
    Forum Member

It depends on your definition of 'considerable':confused:
    You seriously wouldn't compare him and Roger Day.
    It's like chalk and cheese.
    In fact it's an insult to RD.
    The BBC should instead concentrate on getting the annual taxi bill down - what was it again last year?
  • The Magic MonkeyThe Magic Monkey Posts: 1,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ': wrote:
    Hannah;63413683']It depends on your definition of 'considerable':confused:
    You seriously wouldn't compare him and Roger Day.
    It's like chalk and cheese.
    In fact it's an insult to RD.
    The BBC should instead concentrate on getting the annual taxi bill down - what was it again last year?

I've never heard of this Roger Day guy. Must be a local radio chap.

I have, though, heard of Mark Forrest, and have been listening to him on national radio since the 90s.
    First on Virgin Radio, where he was on drive for years, then on Classic FM, where he was on breakfast for years. He has also been on 5Live, deping on Up All Night.

So, I'd sat that Mark does indeed have 'considerable' radio experience, by anyone's standards.

Has Roger Day even been on national radio? Mark has been on three. I am well aware that getting onto national radio isn't everyone's major dream, but can't deny it's an impressive CV.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,742
    Forum Member
    I've never heard of this Roger Day guy. Must be a local radio chap.

I have, though, heard of Mark Forrest, and have been listening to him on national radio since the 90s.
    First on Virgin Radio, where he was on drive for years, then on Classic FM, where he was on breakfast for years. He has also been on 5Live, deping on Up All Night.

So, I'd sat that Mark does indeed have 'considerable' radio experience, by anyone's standards.

Has Roger Day even been on national radio? Mark has been on three. I am well aware that getting onto national radio isn't everyone's major dream, but can't deny it's an impressive CV.

All I can say is if you put both names in wikipedia you get back a lengthy entry for Roger and nowt for Mark.
    As regards national stations, Roger was on Radio Luxembourg, Radio Caroline & Radio North Sea International. They were actually International stations, but we won't quibble:)
    Btw I've no wish to pass any kind of comment on Mark's ability as I've never heard the bloke.
    I was simply replying to Mapperley's 'experience' point and stating that Roger and Mark are in different leagues in that regard.
  • dpbdpb Posts: 12,031
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ': wrote:
    Hannah;63416442']All I can say is if you put both names in wikipedia you get back a lengthy entry for Roger and nowt for Mark.<snip>

All that means is that no-one has wrote a page for Mark. I'm sure there are plenty of popular broadcasters with no Wiki.
  • Val WoodgateVal Woodgate Posts: 196
    Forum Member
    With the content just being the best of local radio across the country I think the new show needs an exceptional presenter if it is to pull in the listeners. Whilst Mark sounds professional enough he certainly sounds a litte dull and nothing really special.
  • radioanorakradioanorak Posts: 4,247
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just listening to programme now.
    It was rather difficult finding the full 4 hours
    Forum Member
    He's been around a long time. On the 60's offshore stations, Caroline and SRE when they had MILLIONS of listeners.

On RNI in the early 70s he beat Tony Blackburn as top Breakfast DJ in the readers poll - Cant remember if it was Melody Maker or Record Mirror, but a national music paper. Since then Rogers had a high profile on major ILR stations like Picadilly and Pirate FM, more recently on Saga then BBC locals across the south.

Its a pretty amazing radio CV by any standards. The only glaring omission is that he has never been on BBC radio 1 or 2. Radio 2 would be perfect for him right now.
    I live in hope
  • Rodney CollinsRodney Collins Posts: 831
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bigd558 wrote: »
    He's been around a long time. On the 60's offshore stations, Caroline and SRE when they had MILLIONS of listeners.

On RNI in the early 70s he beat Tony Blackburn as top Breakfast DJ in the readers poll - Cant remember if it was Melody Maker or Record Mirror, but a national music paper. Since then Rogers had a high profile on major ILR stations like Picadilly and Pirate FM, more recently on Saga then BBC locals across the south.

Its a pretty amazing radio CV by any standards. The only glaring omission is that he has never been on BBC radio 1 or 2. Radio 2 would be perfect for him right now.
    I live in hope

The Poll was our Record Mirror and Roger won by a mile...oh and in the early 70's I did try and get him into Radio 1.
  • mine's a pintmine's a pint Posts: 784
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Poll was our Record Mirror and Roger won by a mile...oh and in the early 70's I did try and get him into Radio 1.

I know Roger's reasons for declining are private and personal , but between the gap of RNI and Piccadilly what would have Roger being doing radio wise ?
  • PubcrawlerPubcrawler Posts: 505
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Can't you get him into Radio 2 Rodney?

It was through Record Mirror that I discovered the world of pirate radio, thanks.
  • MikeBrMikeBr Posts: 7,889
    Forum Member
    I know Roger's reasons for declining are private and personal , but between the gap of RNI and Piccadilly what would have Roger being doing radio wise ?

See 1971 on his timeline:
    http://rogerday.co.uk/item.php?ref=1&sub=4
  • Rodney CollinsRodney Collins Posts: 831
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pubcrawler wrote: »
    Can't you get him into Radio 2 Rodney?

It was through Record Mirror that I discovered the world of pirate radio, thanks.

I tried hard to get four DJs onto Radio 1 in 1973 (two pirates and two from Luxembourg) and although in two of the cases I got the backing of my Controller everything got blocked by 'middle management' who were reluctant to try anything new. I've no doubt the way the BBC operated in those days will come through in the Dame Janet Smith Review.
    As far as Radio 2 now is concerned, others will have a view here on how to suggest someone for their schedule, but one way in is via independent production companies.
  • Mapperley RidgeMapperley Ridge Posts: 9,922
    Forum Member
    Just listening to programme now.
    It was rather difficult finding the full 4 hours

That's because the show is only three hours long.
  • radioanorakradioanorak Posts: 4,247
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I listened to 4 hours from off the Azanorak web site
    On BBC listen again it says programme ran from 18 .00 till 22.00
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12
    Forum Member
    Have alot of respect for him, he always puts the music first rather than his own importance.
    I have met him twice, he did an open evening at Lichfield Garrick 6 years ago he appeared again at the Radio Academy's Celebration of Offshore Radio.