LG Nexus 4 officially announced

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What do devs use instead of a Nexus :confused: It is the reference model phone for developing on the Android platform.

The fact that people also have cottoned on to it being a decent phone has made Google take the less than helpful step to hide the developer options :mad:
  • whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rosetech wrote: »
    What do devs use instead of a Nexus :confused: It is the reference model phone for developing on the Android platform.

The fact that people also have cottoned on to it being a decent phone has made Google take the less than helpful step to hide the developer options :mad:

Devs use ALL phones, not just what the internet denote as a 'DEV PHONE'. :rolleyes:.
  • GormondGormond Posts: 15,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Devs use ALL phones, not just what the internet denote as a 'DEV PHONE'. :rolleyes:.

Indeed devs will need to test their apps on various types of hardware configurations, not just what the Nexus happens to use.
  • Stuart_hStuart_h Posts: 5,311
    Forum Member
    Its because its NOT a dev phone. Its just some spout this BS.

The Nexus used to be marketed as more of a 'dev phone' .... never really top spec but always vanilla android.

I think this image disappeared a few versions ago really though and the popularity of the Nexus 4 certainly suggests its now a mainstream brand.
    Forum Member

its not just the internet. Google themselves used to state that the Nexus range was aimed at developers as it gave them 'plain' Android - get something working on there and then worry about Sense, Touchwiz etc. This isnt just some 'made up internet talk' :rolleyes:

They will also have unlockable bootloaders etc and are (were?) historically sim unlocked.

Not all developers used Android Dev Phones or, their replacement, Nexus phones, but the option of an unlockable phone was there to assist them.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stuart_h wrote: »
    its not just the internet. Google themselves used to state that the Nexus range was aimed at developers as it gave them 'plain' Android - get something working on there and then worry about Sense, Touchwiz etc. This isnt just some 'made up internet talk' :rolleyes:

They will also have unlockable bootloaders etc and are (were?) historically sim unlocked.

Not all developers used Android Dev Phones or, their replacement, Nexus phones, but the option of an unlockable phone was there to assist them.

So from all that you've just said there, says its ONLY intended for android devs and NOT for the average user?

Absolutely nothing? Yep.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

You are seriously saying devs use anything other than Samsung and nexus devices? What are you smoking...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gormond wrote: »
    Indeed devs will need to test their apps on various types of hardware configurations, not just what the Nexus happens to use.

I think you should look at the stats before making comments like that. Nexus 10 covers the tablet view (it can run multiple resolutions). Nexus and Samsung cover the phone market.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stuart_h wrote: »
    The Nexus used to be marketed as more of a 'dev phone' .... never really top spec but always vanilla android.

I think this image disappeared a few versions ago really though and the popularity of the Nexus 4 certainly suggests its now a mainstream brand.
    It wasn't marketed at a dev phone it is a dev phone. Ask any mobile developer for android what they test against and it will be a nexus device. It is the reference model. You don't get that on any other phone. To cover your bases you used to have HTC and Samsung DVD devices, but I only use Samsung now.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You are seriously saying devs use anything other than Samsung and nexus devices? What are you smoking...

Smoking?

Devs use all phones for compatibility reasons. What are you on about?
  • slick1twoslick1two Posts: 2,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The nexus 4 is NOT a Dev phone. Don't you understand, Google actually have a range of hardware in each form factor, using the Nexus branding to go head to head with Apple and other Android OEMs. They are selling them cheap but making money off selling google content. Whose buying google content? the mass consumer of course! NOT developers.

Nexus 4, Nexus 7 and Nexus 10 are a line of google hardware aimed at the consumer market.
  • konebyvaxkonebyvax Posts: 9,120
    Forum Member
    I have a feeling rosetech is a developer but do carry on, guaranteed to be fun this one :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    konebyvax wrote: »
    I have a feeling rosetech is a developer but do carry on, guaranteed to be fun this one :D

This is what developers are using :D
    http://developer.android.com/tools/help/emulator.html

Does anyone really think developers are installing and uninstalling their apps continuously on the hardware when testing? No, they will be using mostly virtual android environments in their dev kits. Also they need to ensure comparability on all the different Android software flavours and hardware configurations. So really and truly apps are going to be tested by beta testers and early adopters on their own handsets to see how well the code holds up. Then of course the devs will receive feedback and will try to improve the apps. Once rooted, any Android phone will work for a dev as they will load custom firmwares on the phone.

There is no such thing as one Android Developer's phone. Testing is done on anything and everything as well as virtual Android emulators etc.

I'm no dev, but i'm just taking an educated guess, this seems to be the most likely situation. But don't quote on me on this. :D
  • alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And obviously you have confirmed why demand was a bit of a surprise.

It's a 'stock Android phone', though to be honest most phones are not far off that anyway.
    It just happens to have the screen size almost everyone now seems to want, does not have, at an unbeatable price.
    Forum Member
    So from all that you've just said there, says its ONLY intended for android devs and NOT for the average user?

Absolutely nothing? Yep.

"aimed at" doesnt equal "solely available for" :rolleyes:

The idea was to give Devs a guaranteed unlockable phone.

Did they all use this ? No.
    Was anyone who wasnt a Dev prevented from buying one ? No.
    Is this still the main purpose of the Nexus ? No (as I have already stated)

I dont really see what your issue with this is ??? :confused:
    Forum Member
    slick1two wrote: »
    The nexus 4 is NOT a Dev phone. Don't you understand, Google actually have a range of hardware in each form factor, using the Nexus branding to go head to head with Apple and other Android OEMs. They are selling them cheap but making money off selling google content. Whose buying google content? the mass consumer of course! NOT developers.

Nexus 4, Nexus 7 and Nexus 10 are a line of google hardware aimed at the consumer market.

^^This

as I have said - The original aim for Nexus products was to give those who wanted unlocked phones with unlockable bootloaders such a thing for development purposes. It wasnt compulsory for developers to own one.

With the last few versions it has moved away from that and become a 'Brand' for vanilla Android devices.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Android_Dev_Phone
  • finbaarfinbaar Posts: 4,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Look it is a devs phone simple as. All nexus phones are. Get one and you are on the bleeding edge of Android and Google use you to beta test the latest builds. This is the thing that attracts me to the line. What is really annoying is people who don't get this simple fact.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is what developers are using :D
    http://developer.android.com/tools/help/emulator.html

Does anyone really think developers are installing and uninstalling their apps continuously on the hardware when testing? No, they will be using mostly virtual android environments in their dev kits. Also they need to ensure comparability on all the different Android software flavours and hardware configurations. So really and truly apps are going to be tested by beta testers and early adopters on their own handsets to see how well the code holds up. Then of course the devs will receive feedback and will try to improve the apps. Once rooted, any Android phone will work for a dev as they will load custom firmwares on the phone.

There is no such thing as one Android Developer's phone. Testing is done on anything and everything as well as virtual Android emulators etc.

I'm no dev, but i'm just taking an educated guess, this seems to be the most likely situation. But don't quote on me on this. :D

The emulator does a decent job, but does not replace testing on real world hardware.

If you were to release apps in the manner suggested you would receive very poor feedback and essentially kill your revenue stream (see feedback for Carbon for Twitter and Sky Go as recent examples)

The best way to physically test is against stock android (i.e. Nexus) and the largest user base (i.e. Samsung) which represents approximately 50% Android market share.

Clearly you will still have people using other phones e.g. HTC, Sony, etc, but the proportion of these are not significant in contrast to the above.

Yes you could develop on another phone brand, but it will not be stock Android and therefore may have changes to the kernel or Android layer or some horrible skin applied which may not be apparent in other devices (yes this is quite important)

When you get a custom rom usually based on ASOP - guess what its heritage is from the Nexus line.

You could use another Nexus device to develop on - well yes you could, but the Nexus 4 is can make calls as well as run the OS, so its a "better" device to use than a Nexus 4.

Do you have limitless funds to buy a phone from every manufacturer, of course not.

My point is Nexus is the developers choice for the above reasons. Whilst you may not like to think of it as such, it doesnt matter, it is what it is.
  • finbaarfinbaar Posts: 4,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rosetech mate, leave it. Most people on this sub-forum haven't got a clue. This particular thread is populated by people who have bought an N4 which apparently came with a certificate of Android know it all-ness. It is quite funny really.
  • StigglesStiggles Posts: 9,618
    Forum Member
    finbaar wrote: »
    rosetech mate, leave it. Most people on this sub-forum haven't got a clue. This particular thread is populated by people who have bought an N4 which apparently came with a certificate of Android know it all-ness. It is quite funny really.

Your out of order.

I would say most people on here know a hell of a lot more than you do for a start.

I bought my N4 knowing exactly what i was getting. It's not a dev phone period.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The emulator does a decent job, but does not replace testing on real world hardware.

If you were to release apps in the manner suggested you would receive very poor feedback and essentially kill your revenue stream (see feedback for Carbon for Twitter and Sky Go as recent examples)

The best way to physically test is against stock android (i.e. Nexus) and the largest user base (i.e. Samsung) which represents approximately 50% Android market share.

Clearly you will still have people using other phones e.g. HTC, Sony, etc, but the proportion of these are not significant in contrast to the above.

Yes you could develop on another phone brand, but it will not be stock Android and therefore may have changes to the kernel or Android layer or some horrible skin applied which may not be apparent in other devices (yes this is quite important)

When you get a custom rom usually based on ASOP - guess what its heritage is from the Nexus line.

You could use another Nexus device to develop on - well yes you could, but the Nexus 4 is can make calls as well as run the OS, so its a "better" device to use than a Nexus 4.

Do you have limitless funds to buy a phone from every manufacturer, of course not.

My point is Nexus is the developers choice for the above reasons. Whilst you may not like to think of it as such, it doesnt matter, it is what it is.

Ask yourself this, why would google/LG bother making the phone look sleek, appealing, take time and effort on making the design attractive. Bother putting that unique finish on the back? Why does a DEV need an awesome looking polished phone???

Look what Blackberry did with the Z10 dev devices, they were as basic as they come and had enough features to develop on..A dev phone isn't sparkly. Certainly would not have needed to be aesthetically pleasing, or slim with gorilla glass and great screen res. Come on! you aren't thinking this through properly. These are all quirks aimed at the consumer market! It it these kinds of bells and whistles that sell.

Dev's don't need a highly oilished diamond, all they need is a black slab with a circuit board and enough power to develop apps on. Also the price is a very big clue. Google want to get these phones in to as many hands as possible. Dev hardware is the opposite, and isn't even usually available on an open market.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is there some kind of stigma attached with development? Or are you envisioning a development phone as a lesser model?

I am curious why the backlash on what is essentially the reason you get the Android platform first and why the majority of applications work with your phone.
  • grumpyoldbatgrumpyoldbat Posts: 3,663
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Unless a development studio has truly bottomless pockets, they will develop using a combination of emulation tools to begin with, and then move to actual hardware for compatibility testing and multi-resolution support.

When selecting hardware to purchase, they will select devices to try and represent as much of the market as possible - for example popular screen resolution sizes, devices which sell well, and devices which represent the major manufacturers. Whilst the first Nexus phone was really a developer special, subsequent purchases of Nexus devices are more likely to be popular with devs simply because they're relatively cheap.

Single "bedroom" devs often might only have one or two devices and then have to rely on emulators which aren't updated as quickly as they'd like, and that's why the smaller developers often struggle to support brand new OS versions or newer screen resolutions.

I hope this is informative. And yes, this is speaking from direct experience.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ask yourself this, why would google/LG bother making the phone look sleek, appealing, take time and effort on making the design attractive. Bother putting that unique finish on the back? Why does a DEV need an awesome looking polished phone???

Look what Blackberry did with the Z10 dev devices, they were as basic as they come and had enough features to develop on..A dev phone isn't sparkly. Certainly would not have needed to be aesthetically pleasing, or slim with gorilla glass and great screen res. Come on! you aren't thinking this through properly. These are all quirks aimed at the consumer market! It it these kinds of bells and whistles that sell.

Dev's don't need a highly oilished diamond, all they need is a black slab with a circuit board and enough power to develop apps on. Also the price is a very big clue. Google want to get these phones in to as many hands as possible. Dev hardware is the opposite, and isn't even usually available on an open market.

LOL - Devs want sparkle like everyone else! :D

Aesthetics aside, how do you test high end graphics on a low end machine, how do you test quad core processing on a single core? Its may not be top of the range, but Android phones have always been available to buy - its an open system. :rolleyes:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Unless a development studio has truly bottomless pockets, they will develop using a combination of emulation tools to begin with, and then move to actual hardware for compatibility testing and multi-resolution support.

When selecting hardware to purchase, they will select devices to try and represent as much of the market as possible - for example popular screen resolution sizes, devices which sell well, and devices which represent the major manufacturers. Whilst the first Nexus phone was really a developer special, subsequent purchases of Nexus devices are more likely to be popular with devs simply because they're relatively cheap.

Single "bedroom" devs often might only have one or two devices and then have to rely on emulators which aren't updated as quickly as they'd like, and that's why the smaller developers often struggle to support brand new OS versions or newer screen resolutions.

I hope this is informative. And yes, this is speaking from direct experience.

Yes that makes sense, and That's what I said, you will use a combination of a virtual Platform and let's face it, most devs must know others with various types of Android phones, or have a few of their own. Or at the same time release test apps. I've seen them on the play store. So people can download and test them and offer feedback. It would be pretty stupid to test on one phone, even if it is a pure android phone without skin, because the majority of Android phones out there are not running stock Android. Apps do have compatibility issues. Read many times, user comments on google play, of app not working with a particular handset or version of Android etc etc.

You're obviously coding the apps on a computer, and then testing them out on different Android devices. Surely that is the case right?

As I said i'm not a developer but trying to use some kind of logic of the process of getting apps on to phones.