Is pyschology a science?

Comments

• TheSilentFezTheSilentFez Posts: 11,103
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    laura:) wrote: »
    For example, what is happiness? How do you measure happiness? How do you detect happiness? How do you produce happiness? How much happiness do we need? How much happiness can we feel? Can we feel too much happiness?

Now if you asked me the same questions about haemoglobin I could tell you every single answer, and they would be proven facts.

How much haemoglobin can we feel? Can we feel too much?

:o:o
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,177
    Forum Member
    I think what laura is saying there's a larger non-scientific part to psychology than other sciences.

But when you say science has to be proven facts, then you disregard, 'theories' which encompass a lot of science surely?

Yeah that's what I mean, personally for me, the non-scientific part is just too large for the whole discipline to be considered a science. There's too much theory and not enough fact.

It's not that science has to always be proven facts, I just think that the theories (or at least most of them) have to have the ability to become proven facts. Otherwise, what is the point in constantly making theories which can never be proven or disproven? That you never have any measurable reliable evidence for? That you can never reliably test for or reproduce? You may as well call religion a science if that's the case.
    Forum Member
    How much haemoglobin can we feel? Can we feel too much?

:o:o

Ha ha I knew somebody was going to say that!

If we're going to get technical.... the maximum mean haemoglobin concentration possible in cells is around 36.8g/dL, it is not physically possible for a cell to carry more than that amount. Too much haemoglobin can cause problems with microcirculation leading to inadequate amounts of oxygen transported to tissues.
  • AnnaliseZAnnaliseZ Posts: 3,912
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

If we're going to get technical.... the maximum mean haemoglobin concentration possible in cells is around 36.8g/dL, it is not physically possible for a cell to carry more than that amount. Too much haemoglobin can cause problems with microcirculation leading to inadequate amounts of oxygen transported to tissues.

They asked how much can you feel, not how much can you carry.
  • TheSilentFezTheSilentFez Posts: 11,103
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Good answer. I have learnt something new today. :)
  • Kolin KlingonKolin Klingon Posts: 4,296
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why is it that some can only have two things in their mind about science?

1. It's a proven fact.
    or
    2. It's just a theory and so of no worth and exactly the same as believing in God. :rolleyes:

How about a theory that fits more occasions to the point of being useful and tested and some parts have been worked out buy we haven't worked out all the finer points.

Many things are very complex and yet we know enough about them already to understand and use them in everyday life but a few things need to be studied more and conclusions drawn.

We already know enough about the world to know that God the builder didn't do it or in fact exist.

Accept reality and stop avoiding it.
  • BelligerenceBelligerence Posts: 40,613
    Forum Member
    KJ44 wrote: »
    It's an ology!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jC_-r-J69qA

If only I'd replied to the post above :cry:
    CLL Dodge wrote: »
    My immediate thought too!
    Good old BT. :D
  • suncitysuncity Posts: 368
    Forum Member
    4 pages... yes.
  • MadMoo40MadMoo40 Posts: 1,848
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I did some psychology in my Bachelor of SCIENCE degree - which was in the Social Sciences, so I'd say yes!
  • spiney2spiney2 Posts: 27,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    the answer is no. and neither is psychiatry (done by prople who are actual real doctors).

nobody has any idea what a mind is. until they do, there can be no "science of the mind"

the "soft sciences" like sociology and psychology give fascinating insight but are entirely useless for making predictions other than at a very obvious common sense level.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,216
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So the only way I could possibly understand what a psychology degree consists is by doing one myself? Is that what you're saying?

What I'm saying is that if you want to criticise something then it helps if you know what it is you're actually criticising - and you clearly don't.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    the fact that psychology so-called experiments use the same statistical techniques as drug effects studies seems to fool an awful lot of people ........ its a bit like alternative health practitioners talking about "energy" ........
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    spiney2 wrote: »
    the fact that psychology so-called experiments use the same statistical techniques as drug effects studies seems to fool an awful lot of people ........ its a bit like alternative health practitioners talking about "energy" ........

Can you give an example of this?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i just looked up the wikipedia artcle on psychology. pretty good readable summary covering the major stuff.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can you give an example of this?

for example the karl pearson factor analysis stuff. the 16 pf test says that mathematical logic is valid ! it assigns people to positions on scales. but this doesnt tell you much about the human mind that common sense cant ........
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    spiney2 wrote: »
    i just looked up the wikipedia artcle on psychology. pretty good readable summary covering the major stuff.

Say no more...... ;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Say no more...... ;)

...... so hav a look and see which bits YOU think are "science" !
  • Sun Tzu.Sun Tzu. Posts: 19,064
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think so.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ....... lots of books were written "proving " Piaget was correct. lots of psychologists doing lots of experiments on french kids. but it was all total crap. the kids said whatever the adults wanted to hear ..........
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    behaviourism is "science" but tells us sod all about human personality.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ..... psychology is just isms that come and go ........ unlike real science there is no progress no building up of knowledge ....... in that respect, sociology is much much better ........
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,888
    Forum Member
    Yes it is. In psychology I have to use statistics, research methods and even sometimes a bit of cross over into biology. A social science, is still a science. When I finish my degree, I will be BSc.
  • SaturnVSaturnV Posts: 11,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Of course it's a science. You posit a hypothesis and devise robust tests. You then apply statistical analysis to the results and can repeat the experiements and predict the outcome with a known degree of confidence.
    Forum Member
    AnnaliseZ wrote: »
    They asked how much can you feel, not how much can you carry.

I think it's pretty obvious to most people that you cannot feel haemoglobin, so the equivalent question would be how much can you have/carry. Hence my answer...
    Forum Member
    What I'm saying is that if you want to criticise something then it helps if you know what it is you're actually criticising - and you clearly don't.

I could say the same for you with science, unless you have a science degree that you haven't mentioned?