is veronica mars really that good???

biggebruvbiggebruv Posts: 6,626
Forum Member
just seen the news on the revived movie from fans truly a first

Is the show really that good ? it was cancelled after 3 seasons
going by most things its usually not bothering with if it lasted only 3 years.

I loved
Buffy/angel
Lost
Breaking bad
Walking Dead
Vampire Diaries

so would I like veronica mars:confused:

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 530
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Veronica Mars is amazing, even if a show only lasts 1 or two seasons doesnt mean its bad just look at Firefly, Dollhouse and wouldn't Heroes have been much better if it ended after one season?

Judging from the shows you currently like I would say you wouldnt really like Veronica Mars
  • wakeywakey Posts: 3,073
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gulfam1 wrote: »
    Judging from the shows you currently like I would say you wouldnt really like Veronica Mars

Why?

Veronica Mars did complex interlocking mysteries that unveil themselves over a season better than LOST

Veronica Mars does teen drama better than Vampire Diaries ever has

Veronica Mars did interlocking personal relationships as well as Walking Dead

And Veronica Mars does smart, witty dialogue that's up there with Buffy & Angel.

As those 4 things are what each of the 4 shows were/are strongest at doing then there is little reason why the OP wouldn't like VM
  • AnachronyAnachrony Posts: 2,757
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    biggebruv wrote: »

I loved
    Buffy/angel
    Lost
    Breaking bad
    Walking Dead
    Vampire Diaries

Quality and ratings are only loosely correlated. There are some terrible, terrible programs that get great ratings, and some tremendous shows that critics and cult audiences love that never get enough mainstream attention to justify their expensive production budget. Veronica Mars had enough material over 3 seasons to be worth getting into it as a new viewer.

Breaking Bad is one of my very favorites, I also enjoy Walking Dead (though season 2 was a low point), and I liked Lost at the time but feel let down by the resolution. I never quite managed to get into Buffy, but the parallels are obvious and there is a large overlap between their audiences. I think if you like all those shows there is a very high probability that you'd like Veronica Mars. It was very well made and entertaining.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If I was going to compare the writing of Veronica Mars to any show it would be Buffy and Angel, it really became the surrogate show for a lot of Whedon fans when those two series finished.
  • tim1964tim1964 Posts: 829
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks to a kickstarter project there is going to be a VM movie next year.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-21782941
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In terms of plotting, Season 1 is as good as you'll ever see as a demonstration of how to weave a story of the week with an ongoing arc. The second and third seasons are good but without reaching the heights of S1.

Despite being nothing like Buffy in terms of plot, it did share a similar feel in terms of snappy dialogue, cultural references and a strong female lead with her gang of "scoobies".
  • zwixxxzwixxx Posts: 10,295
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ...going by most things its usually not bothering with if it lasted only 3 years.

:eek: Seriously ?! :eek:

You believe most series cancelled after their 3rd season aren't worth bothering with ?! .. seriously ?! :eek:

I can think of a whole bunch of shows that only made it to 2 seasons, and more only getting 1, all of which would be worth dealing with.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    zwixxx wrote: »
    :eek: Seriously ?! :eek:

You believe most series cancelled after their 3rd season aren't worth bothering with ?! .. seriously ?! :eek:

I can think of a whole bunch of shows that only made it to 2 seasons, and more only getting 1, all of which would be worth dealing with.

3 seasons still gives you 64 episodes - that's quite a lot of TV to get to grips with. In comparison Fawlty Towers only ever produced 12.
  • Steveaustin316Steveaustin316 Posts: 15,779
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I enjoyed it myself, and I'm probably not the target audience for the show either.
  • marie67marie67 Posts: 1,539
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like most of the shows you listed and also Veronica Mars so i definately think you'd enjoy it.
  • wakeywakey Posts: 3,073
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If anyone does want to watch Veronica Mars and has both a netflix account and an http://www.unblock-us.com/ one then switch the netflix region to one of the Scandinavia ones and it on there
  • LMLM Posts: 63,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's a great show but if i am honest, i would rather have several other cancelled shows I loved much more to come back for a movie. But i can't wait to see the film.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 530
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    wakey wrote: »
    Why?

Veronica Mars did complex interlocking mysteries that unveil themselves over a season better than LOST

Veronica Mars does teen drama better than Vampire Diaries ever has

Veronica Mars did interlocking personal relationships as well as Walking Dead

And Veronica Mars does smart, witty dialogue that's up there with Buffy & Angel.

As those 4 things are what each of the 4 shows were/are strongest at doing then there is little reason why the OP wouldn't like VM

damn I was supposed to right would wrote wouldnt by mistake
  • biggebruvbiggebruv Posts: 6,626
    Forum Member
    I can now answer my own question
    YES! YES IT IS!!

lol im halfway through season 1 its great so far I defiantly see the Buffy style lines the show has the last ep I watched just featured Alyson Hannigan what a great surprise that was.

Im loving how the murder mystery is unfolding little by little each episode and then how another mystery is added and veronica is doing all these things at once LOL

I hope S2+3 are just as good or even better
  • circlebro2019circlebro2019 Posts: 17,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    never watched it, synopsis sounded boring to me
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    whedon247 wrote: »
    never watched it, synopsis sounded boring to me

Are you aware the Hiss Jossness himself, Mr Whedon once declared VM as the "Best. Show. Ever"

(http://whedonesque.com/comments/7502)

If you really are a Whedon fan then I'd recommend that you give it a try. It really is similar to his style, several Buffy alumni appear as guests and he even pops up in a cameo at one point.
  • StrakerStraker Posts: 79,567
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tim1964 wrote: »
    Thanks to a kickstarter project there is going to be a VM movie next year.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-21782941

If it's anything like that godawful S4 teaser at the end of the 3rd season DVD set, I'd rather they didn't bother and the older Kristin Stewart gets the less justification there is to make it IMO. She'll be 34 by the time the movie comes out so the whole teen-pi scenario is totally non-viable.

I can't see the movie finding an audience as it's going to disappoint the fans beause it'll have to be so different from the TV version and nothing in it is going to grab those who passed on the series 10 years ago.
    Forum Member
    Straker wrote: »
    If it's anything like that godawful S4 teaser at the end of the 3rd season DVD set, I'd rather they didn't bother and the older Kristin Stewart gets the less justification there is to make it IMO. She'll be 34 by the time the movie comes out so the whole teen-pi scenario is totally non-viable.

I can't see the movie finding an audience as it's going to disappoint the fans beause it'll have to be so different from the TV version and nothing in it is going to grab those who passed on the series 10 years ago.

if the movie has a good story behind it it should do ok but yeah I expect fans will be disappointed people would have moved on from the roles and the chemistry/spark just might not be there anymore then again it could completely surprise everyone it was written after the show ended wast it?
    that's more of a good chance that the story could be good

iv yet to see S2+3 so I dunno if those 2 seasons are gonna be good for me
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    if the movie has a good story behind it it should do ok but yeah I expect fans will be disappointed people would have moved on from the roles and the chemistry/spark just might not be there anymore then again it could completely surprise everyone it was written after the show ended wast it?
    that's more of a good chance that the story could be good

iv yet to see S2+3 so I dunno if those 2 seasons are gonna be good for me

Almost £4m raised: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/559914737/the-veronica-mars-movie-project

If the fundraising video is anything to go by, the chemistry is still there - but yes, I'm prepared to disappointed. These revivals are almost never as good as you hope for. Then again, I'd watch anything with KB in it even if she was just reading the phone book.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 166
    Forum Member
    Straker wrote: »

You mean Kristen Bell?? :p You've just given me a good laugh, imagining a Twilight/VM crossover.

Judging from what Rob Thomas (series creator) has said today, the movie's going to be set ten years after the series (check out his Twitter).
  • circlebro2019circlebro2019 Posts: 17,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    LostFool wrote: »
    Are you aware the Hiss Jossness himself, Mr Whedon once declared VM as the "Best. Show. Ever"

(http://whedonesque.com/comments/7502)

If you really are a Whedon fan then I'd recommend that you give it a try. It really is similar to his style, several Buffy alumni appear as guests and he even pops up in a cameo at one point.

yeh i was aware but for some reason it still didnt peak my interest, joss also thinks sam raimis spiderman is ultimate comic book movie and i think its overated so joss isnt perfect lol

i guess i liked sci fi too much at the VM aired, i might check it out at some point
    Forum Member
    Finally seen the season 1 finale OMG i was gripped from start to finish could not take my eyes of it lol
    cannot belive i never guessed logans dad as the killer it makes so much sence given what we seen him doing in past episodes during the build up i was like
    Logan did it
    no duncan did it
    Lillys father must have done it lol

Great twist one of the best whodunits iv ever seen imo

It is a great show even if s2+3 are pants(which i highly doubt lol) that one season is some TV Gold
  • passingbatpassingbat Posts: 771
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Finally seen the season 1 finale OMG i was gripped from start to finish could not take my eyes of it lol

]

Season 3 ended with a few loose ends and fans have been wanting a film ever since. One will now be made with fan funding. They raised 2 million dollars in 11 hours, but the more they raise, the better the film will be.

There are 5 days left to contribute, so as a fan, you may be interested in doing so. You do get rewards for the contribution including digital copies of the film and DVDs etc., depending on the level of contribution.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/559914737/the-veronica-mars-movie-project
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is a great show even if s2+3 are pants(which i highly doubt lol) that one season is some TV Gold

Pleased you enjoyed it! S2 is almost as good and like S1 has a season-long mystery.

S3 wasn't "pants" but most people found it a disappointment following the first two. But I'll let you be the judge of that...
  • SilverkingSilverking Posts: 324
    Forum Member
    just seen the news on the revived movie from fans truly a first

Is the show really that good ? it was cancelled after 3 seasons

I loved
    Buffy/angel
    Lost
    Breaking bad
    Walking Dead
    Vampire Diaries

so would I like veronica mars:confused:
    I loved VM...I also loved Buffy, Lost and am watching Vampire Diaries...so yeah I think you would have liked it too.

I'm not sure if it might seem dated watching it now though.