Lady Gaga - ARTPOP (4th studio album)

Comments

• xeoxeo Posts: 6,429
    Forum Member
    Do What U Want now up to #8 on UK iTunes - fantastic increases in the past few days and bodes well for when she comes here. Looking forward to her Alan Carr interview. Also doing well in Canada (#8), Gemany (#12) and the US (#13).
  • Hit Em Up StyleHit Em Up Style Posts: 12,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    konebyvax wrote: »
    I think this will struggle to pass 2 million WW to be honest. It has absolutely no chance of any longevity whatsoever unless she pulls something out of the bag. The warning signs were definitely there with BTW but it seems that she/her team didn't heed them. The drop is the Us is pretty extraordinary really. Yes, BTW experienced a slightly bigger %tage drop but don't forget 440k of that fist week's total was sold for 99c so they were wildly skewed. From an album POV Gaga is massively front loaded. How are interscope going to make any profit on this album? :confused:

I think its going to find it hard to hit two million as well. It should go past one million by Jan, Feb at the latest but I can't see any of the songs on ARTPOP becoming such a hit that it generates a massive sales surge.

If, and it still isn't confirmed, Interscope spent over 25 million on promo for this then they are going to be out of pocket big time. She has defo done a huge amount of promo so they certainly invested a lot in this.

I also think Interscope laying down the law and making DWYW second single was a wise move. Venus had died on its ass. They must have seen that coming so went all out to make the only commercial song on the album a main single the second they could see things were going wrong. However it was too late. Making it a promo free download has ruined its chance of being a big hit in every country but America.

It will be very interesting to see if she is able to get a tour out of this. Live Nation lost a lot of money with BTW ball. It costs millions each night to host a concert on that scale but she was performing to half filled stadiums. If an ARTPOP balls comes, and its a big if, my guess is that it will be limited dates in arenas only.
    Forum Member
    I think its going to find it hard to hit two million as well. It should go past one million by Jan, Feb at the latest but I can't see any of the songs on ARTPOP becoming such a hit that it generates a massive sales surge.

If, and it still isn't confirmed, Interscope spent over 25 million on promo for this then they are going to be out of pocket big time. She has defo done a huge amount of promo so they certainly invested a lot in this.

I also think Interscope laying down the law and making DWYW second single was a wise move. Venus had died on its ass. They must have seen that coming so went all out to make the only commercial song on the album a main single the second they could see things were going wrong. However it was too late. Making it a promo free download has ruined its chance of being a big hit in every country but America.

It will be very interesting to see if she is able to get a tour out of this. Live Nation lost a lot of money with BTW ball. It costs millions each night to host a concert on that scale but she was performing to half filled stadiums. If an ARTPOP balls comes, and its a big if, my guess is that it will be limited dates in arenas only.

:D The tour grossed $181.1m and she didn't even manage to finish it. It would have hit the $200m mark if it wasn't for her hip. The idea that they lost any money at all is absolutely ridiculous, if anything they were rolling in it.

The $25 million budget thing is pure fiction as well. What have they spent it on? I think she's made around three TV appearances since the album release so it definitely isn't promotion.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    xeo wrote: »
    :D The tour grossed $181.1m and she didn't even manage to finish it. It would have hit the $200m mark if it wasn't for her hip. The idea that they lost any money at all is absolutely ridiculous, if anything they were rolling in it.

Do you understand how it works? It doesn't matter how much the tour grossed. How many people got paid out of that and how over budget did it go? She was playing at a huge loss. It costs millions each night to host concerts in stadiums. This is without factoring in how much it costs in staff. How much it costs to transport the staging from country to country and the production costs in general.

You make it sound like it cost nothing to produce. We were led to believe there was two stages being transported at different times too. So that's double money put out on that alone. The lost a fortune in South Africa and that is fact. They even had to give away tickets for free to save face.

And all this is before I even mention how much Live Nation lost by her not playing the states....
    the $25 million budget thing is pure fiction as well. What have they spent it on? I think she's made around three TV appearances since the album release so it definitely isn't promotion.

Three??? have you been living under a rock?
  • Diane_RobDiane_Rob Posts: 1,261
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hit Em Up Style loves to point out the darker side so get with me, er..it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Diane_Rob wrote: »
    Hit Em Up Style loves to point out the darker side so get with me, er..it.

I just stick to realism rather than fantasy.

I mean when Gaga's tour started we had claims on here she was going to gross $500 million and have the most successful tour in history. Which was never going to happen and I remember me and TH trying to drum this in. Even with America added she wouldn't have even got close to that figure.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 597
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I just stick to realism rather than fantasy.

I mean when Gaga's tour started we had claims on here she was going to gross $500 million and have the most successful tour in history. Which was never going to happen and I remember me and TH trying to drum this in. Even with America added she wouldn't have even got close to that figure.

She already tweeted that on Artpop tour tickets will be cheaper..So they understand that demand wouldn't be as high as it was with BTW.
    Forum Member
    Do you understand how it works? It doesn't matter how much the tour grossed. How many people got paid out of that and how over budget did it go? She was playing at a huge loss. It costs millions each night to host concerts in stadiums. This is without factoring in how much it costs in staff. How much it costs to transport the staging from country to country and the production costs in general.

You make it sound like it cost nothing to produce. We were led to believe there was two stages being transported at different times too. So that's double money put out on that alone. The lost a fortune in South Africa and that is fact. They even had to give away tickets for free to save face.

And all this is before I even mention how much Live Nation lost by her not playing the states....

Three??? have you been living under a rock?

1) Do you have proof that they gave away free tickets? Apart from the numerous hate sites (Paws Down Little Monsters, Examiner) I didn't see a legitimate news site report on it. There were promotional offers and competitions with radio stations, etc but they do that with every artist. LiveNation could not have expected her to gross more than $230m tops, considering The Monster Ball did $227m with 201 dates. LiveNation are a business, if she was not selling out the stadiums then they would have moved the shows to arenas like they did for the France show, but the individual grosses prove that she did sell them out.

2) SNL and the AMAs are the only big TV appearances she's made unless I'm forgetting something.
  • trevvytrev21trevvytrev21 Posts: 16,973
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ArtRAVE must've cost a bomb but wasn't that funded separately?
  • gpkgpk Posts: 10,206
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

2) SNL and the AMAs are the only big TV appearances she's made unless I'm forgetting something.

the promotional trips to japan, germany and the uk perhaps? the promotional budget would have to pay for all those expenses including the hotels, travel and wardrobe costs. i am not suggesting that the figure could be at all true, but promoting a gaga record wouldn't come cheap.;)
  • MissLaurentienMissLaurentien Posts: 212
    Forum Member
    1) Do you have proof that they gave away free tickets? Apart from the numerous hate sites (Paws Down Little Monsters, Examiner) I didn't see a legitimate news site report on it. There were promotional offers and competitions with radio stations, etc but they do that with every artist. LiveNation could not have expected her to gross more than $230m tops, considering The Monster Ball did $227m with 201 dates. LiveNation are a business, if she was not selling out the stadiums then they would have moved the shows to arenas like they did for the France show, but the individual grosses prove that she did sell them out.
    Local media in Latin America reported different.
    Touted as one of the biggest musical acts of 2012 in Brazil, alongside Madonna, Lady Gaga threatens to end the year as one of the greatest fiascos of recent shows in the country. With only three days before the first performance, in Rio de Janeiro, Friday, 9 the stranding of tickets on the Internet has spawned jokes and unusual promotions.
    http://rollingstone.com.br/noticia/lady-gaga-no-brasil-ingressos-encalham-e-viram-piada-na-internet/
    Lady Gaga tour ends with little more than half the tickets sold; understand
    It did not help promote "take two and pay a" no "10 times without interest." Tickets available for all three shows in Brazil Lady Gaga had a stranding of 43%, according to figures provided by Time for Fun, the company that brought the artist to the country.
    http://musica.uol.com.br/noticias/redacao/2012/11/15/turne-de-lady-gaga-termina-com-pouco-mais-da-metade-dos-ingressos-vendidos-entenda-os-numeros.htm
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 426
    Forum Member
    I wonder if anyone's gonna post something positive in here for a change
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 597
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JakeM641 wrote: »

Her second single is doing quite well and could become a big hit. Also i kinda like it :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 947
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JakeM641 wrote: »

She's had a comedown.

Negativity & complaints always spark more debate than positivity. Same on an internet forum as anywhere else.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,225
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really like her new album
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 87,224
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you're a tad nocturnal you can watch Gaga & the Muppets at 2.30am BST here
    http://ripsink.com/abc.html
  • Diane_RobDiane_Rob Posts: 1,261
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As long as a certain member or two is in here the positivity won't last long. However I will say her duet with Kermy on 'Gypsy' was so cute!!
  • BobbyMcGeeBobbyMcGee Posts: 534
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    its a discussion thread, not an appreciation thread.

i think that like normal, they will put out limited dates to see the demand, obviously unsure how it will sell if they will be cheaper. and if it is not as successful then maybe she will blame it on her hip and not overdoing it.. bless her i think she should go with 'less is more' though this tour. the last two, the last one especially, from bits iv seen, looked a bit all over the place.
  • Mr_EyeMr_Eye Posts: 1,495
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is it safe to call it a flop yet?
  • tim18tim18 Posts: 737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mr_Eye wrote: »
    Is it safe to call it a flop yet?

Not sure yet, wait for a few months and see if it sells well. If gypsy pushes its sales then it would be out the flopzone. The best the album could do is sell as much as p!nk latest album 700-800k. Actually i dont think it will sell that much.
  • trevvytrev21trevvytrev21 Posts: 16,973
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm not that keen on Gypsy. The era could do with a kick up the arse.. A Sexxx Dreams Rihmix with the two women serving in a flawless video?
  • AdzPowerAdzPower Posts: 4,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Are people still talking about Artpop? It's like 3 weeks old now.
  • BobbyMcGeeBobbyMcGee Posts: 534
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tim18 wrote: »
    Not sure yet, wait for a few months and see if it sells well. If gypsy pushes its sales then it would be out the flopzone. The best the album could do is sell as much as p!nk latest album 700-800k. Actually i dont think it will sell that much.

pink didnt sell 700-800 - it has passed 5 million since sept 2012

http://thatgrapejuice.net/2013/10/chart-check-pinks-truth-love-surpasses-5-million-mark/
  • MissLaurentienMissLaurentien Posts: 212
    Forum Member
    Diane_Rob wrote: »
    As long as a certain member or two is in here the positivity won't last long.
    Stop whining. If you hate it when users debunk Lady Gaga statements or disagree go to Gaga Daily for positivity :rolleyes:.
  • MissMusiqueMissMusique Posts: 2,098
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I liked the Muppet special - I thought her duets with Elton were fab and hope to see more in the future. I love him, think he's great and they have such chemistry together so I'd like to see an original duet later on. I liked her jazz duo with Joseph Gordon Levitt too, thought that was fun. OMG and RuPaul, so much fabulousness! Though that song is a bit naff, she (gaga) sang it well and they had fun with it. Good showcase of the album on the whole I thought!