The HDR-2000T: a replacement for the HDR FOX T2?

2»

Comments

• TangoTango Posts: 526
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Looking to buy a refurbished FOX T2, can some one tell me if the time is displayed when on standby?

Thanks
  • Luis EssexLuis Essex Posts: 2,267
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I presume you mean the HDR-FOX T2.
    There is a display which can have the time in standby.

The display is blank if the HDR-FOX T2 has its power saving in standby switched on. (MENU > Settings > System > Power Management)
    If the power saving in standby is switched off then the display is still darker than when the HDR-FOX T2 is switched on. It can be too dark to be of any practical use.
    My display is so dim that I might as well have the 2000T. Even with the lights off and the Humax not in standby the display is subtle.

There is a workaround with this and that is dismantling the HDR-FOX T2 so that the orange film can be removed.
    Instructions can be found in a few places but this link has instructions which have been tried and then adjusted a few times.
    http://wiki.hummy.tv/wiki/Fixes_/_Work_Arounds_for_Known_Bugs#Display_Too_Dim

Having said that there has been a report of someone’s OH complaining that after the orange film was removed the green display was far too bright and distracting.

Unless you have a dark room or are prepared to remove the orange film I’d go for the 2000T but only once the stores reduce them to a more competitive price. The reason I would do this is not only for the faster processor and more RAM but being the latest model it is more likely to be first in line for new software updates. ( I also have little need for the CF features which are all currently unavailable on the 2000T. http://wiki.hummy.tv/wiki/Custom_Firmware_Overview)

In contrast the Humax HD-FOX T2 has got a very readable clock, when not using power saving, But it also has a burningly bright red LED standby light.
  • TangoTango Posts: 526
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Luis Essex wrote: »
    I presume you mean the HDR-FOX T2.
    There is a display which can have the time in standby.

The display is blank if the HDR-FOX T2 has its power saving in standby switched on. (MENU > Settings > System > Power Management)
    If the power saving in standby is switched off then the display is still darker than when the HDR-FOX T2 is switched on. It can be too dark to be of any practical use.
    My display is so dim that I might as well have the 2000T. Even with the lights off and the Humax not in standby the display is subtle.

There is a workaround with this and that is dismantling the HDR-FOX T2 so that the orange film can be removed.
    Instructions can be found in a few places but this link has instructions which have been tried and then adjusted a few times.
    http://wiki.hummy.tv/wiki/Fixes_/_Work_Arounds_for_Known_Bugs#Display_Too_Dim

Having said that there has been a report of someone’s OH complaining that after the orange film was removed the green display was far too bright and distracting.

Unless you have a dark room or are prepared to remove the orange film I’d go for the 2000T but only once the stores reduce them to a more competitive price. The reason I would do this is not only for the faster processor and more RAM but being the latest model it is more likely to be first in line for new software updates. ( I also have little need for the CF features which are all currently unavailable on the 2000T. http://wiki.hummy.tv/wiki/Custom_Firmware_Overview)

In contrast the Humax HD-FOX T2 has got a very readable clock, when not using power saving, But it also has a burningly bright red LED standby light.

Thanks Luis .

I rely on a LED clock in room so you can see time in dark( must be personal thing) so the HDR-2000T would not suit me.

I read that the Humax HDR-FOX T2 is best out there with clock ?
  • SkipTracerSkipTracer Posts: 2,959
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just a few thoughts of mine as I bought one of these last week and although the recorder in itself is good and the UI makes lovely eye candy the MyHumax web portal for the 2000T leaves a lot to be desired.:(

Go into your account via a PC browser and it has almost nothing in it. It has what appears to be some sort of UI for looking at a TV guide with a link to look at the schedules and recordings on the machine, I say looks like because I have not got a clue how it works because when you select it says “not available for this device”.:eek:

So you have something that may be useful for your device but is not available for your device even though you are signed into your device.:D What a crock of ****.

As for the apps, this is also some sort of Humax joke too. OK it has the BBC iPlayer (what hasn’t these days) and it works very well, with HD too, it also has YouTube that seems OK but that’s it unless you need a guitar tuner or you want to do a hearing test.:D

Here’s hoping Humax improves on its internet uses for this device sometime soon.:rolleyes:

The only other thing that would improve a good recorder is a third colour led on the front panel because it’s hard to tell if the recorder is turned off or turned off but recording as the led appears to be bright red if off but slightly duller if off but recording if that makes sense and its very handy to be in the know that your recorder is recording when it should be.;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SkipTracer wrote: »
    As for the apps, this is also some sort of Humax joke too. OK it has the BBC iPlayer (what hasn’t these days) and it works very well, with HD too, it also has YouTube that seems OK but that’s it unless you need a guitar tuner or you want to do a hearing test.:D

Here’s hoping Humax improves on its internet uses for this device sometime soon.:rolleyes:
    The Humax HDR 2000T also has operational IPTV channels. These rely on the internet for their use.

Another app which many will find useful is the Internet Radio. This is able to access all mp3 internet stations that are listed in vTuner. http://vtuner.com/setupapp/guide/asp/BrowseStations/startpage.asp
    The Internet Radio app relies on the internet for its use.

There are two VOD apps for BBC Sport and BBC News. These are preloaded on to the HDR 2000T.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can’t see VTuner in my apps drawer so am I missing something here as if I am missing that one perhaps there is something I may find useful in there somewhere apart from the Bible.:)

Thanks for the link but I’m wondering can you add stuff to the 2000T outside of the Humax apps drawer for example, like side loading Android apps to your tablet?

About the IPTV channels, this reminded me of something else that’s a little niggle with the 2000T and that is, while putting the box through a few test and checking out the IP channels last week I had the box freeze up while connected to the Chinese news IP channel and with the lack of a power kill or reset switch on the back of the unit, it involved a struggle to get to main adapter behind my floor standing speakers. I can fix the power switch thing easily by connecting a remote control mains switch to the unit if the freezing thing becomes an issue but its early days as it’s only happen once, but then I’ve only tried the IP channels once and that’s what happened.

Sounds like I am annoyed with the box but I’m not, far from it as I bought it mainly as a Freeview HD recorder and so far that’s working just fine.

Quick update, I found an internet radio app preloaded on the 2000T but does not appear in the MyHumax web page.

It seems to me that my Humax account page bears no resemblance to the 2000T itself so does anybody know what the point of opening a MyHumax account?
  • Mickey_TMickey_T Posts: 4,962
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Presumably then the extra IP music channels work through 4Music as well?

Any other improvements with the newer box, such as improved UI, better picture quality? Did they also fix the green line problem if using the box at 576i/p with overscan off?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SkipTracer wrote: »
    Quick update, I found an internet radio app preloaded on the 2000T but does not appear in the MyHumax web page.

Yes, that is the one.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mickey_T wrote: »
    Any other improvements with the newer box, such as improved UI, .... ?

It is the same UI including all the little quirks.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can’t comment on other Humax Freeview boxes not having one but I do have a Humax HDR freesat recorder that is 4 years old this week but the 2000T is by far more superior than the Foxsat as far as the UI goes but the tech is 4 years younger.

Picture quality I think is better than my Foxsat but only on par with my 3 year old DigitalStream recorder. The DS has advantage over the 2000T too because you have user control of Contrast, Brightness and Colour on the output. I‘ve found the 2000T to be just a little too dark for my liking and hides a bit of detail and if I adjust the Panasonic panel to allow for this, it buggers up everything else so control within the unit would be nice but then you don’t often get that choice anyway.

The extra IP channels on 4Music seem to work with no problems at all and I gave it a quick blast on Sky News set at 576i with no problems I could see except the naff picture but there’s no improving picture quality on Sky News SD as it’s on par with Channel 5 SD in that department whether up-scaled or not IMO.:)
  • Kel280greenKel280green Posts: 107
    Forum Member
    Got one last week and installed it yesterday as I had to view all my recordings on my HDR-Fox T2 before disconnecting!
    First impressions are good. Slightly quieter than the T2 and the EPG hopping is much faster.
    I bought it so as to be able to get the IPTV channels and doing a channel by channel check, it received the Sports, Racing and Vision channels. Trying CCTV caused a complete lock up as with the T2.
    Then trying VUTV gives the message-"Your Freeview device does not currently support VuTV".
    After this, I gave up. As this product is described as being able to get these channels, will Humax provide an update to enable them? Otherwise it could really be classed as unfit for purpose, under current legislation.
    Other minor issues. The aerial loop-through doesn't exist and means I have had to split my aerial to both PVR and TV. Not a great deal but pathetic all the same.
    Also the TV Portal button is too close to the rewind button. Already pressed it a couple of times by mistake, completely wiping out my buffer!!!
    Trying hard to like this, but argument for re-installing the T2 getting stronger by the day.
    I suppose I could return the 2000 as it cannot get some of the IPTV channels as claimed???:mad:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 35
    Forum Member
    Homebase are knocking 15% off the online price of the HDR-2000T this weekend, so the cost (including a £3.95 delivery charge) is £156.94. You could get a further 1.5% off if you buy via Quidco or TopCashBack.

When Homebase had a previous 15%-off weekend about a month ago, they didn't appear to have any HDR-2000Ts in stock, but I have just placed an order and they seem to be available at the moment.

BTW, there is a new review of the PVR here.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Got one last week and installed it yesterday as I had to view all my recordings on my HDR-Fox T2 before disconnecting!
    :confused: My 2000T plays back my HDR-FOX recordings with ease.
  • CLA29CLA29 Posts: 410
    Forum Member
    Walpurgis wrote: »
    Homebase are knocking 15% off the online price of the HDR-2000T this weekend, so the cost (including a £3.95 delivery charge) is £156.94. You could get a further 1.5% off if you buy via Quidco or TopCashBack.

When Homebase had a previous 15%-off weekend about a month ago, they didn't appear to have any HDR-2000Ts in stock, but I have just placed an order and they seem to be available at the moment.

BTW, there is a new review of the PVR here.

I just tried to order that from Homebase, because the cheapest I'd seen so far was £172 at Richer Sounds. Unfortunately it is home delivery only and the times are 7am to 8pm! So if I had put my work address, there was a chance it would be delivered after I'd gone home. And then if I had put home address, it would probably be delivered while I was at work.
    My neighbours are very nice, but I don't know if their couriers leave things with neighbours and I don't really want to risk it on an item of that value. I've not read very good reviews about their delivery service either. I have visions of them just dumping it outside the door.
    I would have had it delivered to store, because it's one minute from my work, but they don't provide that option. :mad:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 136
    Forum Member
    20% off until Jan 1st...means this including delivery is £147.91!! My ordered is placed...can't wait to have a play with it!
  • CLA29CLA29 Posts: 410
    Forum Member
    Glad I waited to get the 20%. As I am off work for xmas I ordered one and it was delivered this morning. First impressions were ok. However when I tried out the YouTube app I discovered that the box won't play vevo videos, which is very irritating. I'd read loads about this box and didn't realise this happened. I wonder what else won't play on there?
    Another niggle is that u can't rearrange the channel list to move the hd channels.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CLA29 wrote: »
    Another niggle is that u can't rearrange the channel list to move the hd channels.
    Press MENUU > Settings > Edit channels > (default password 0000) > Edit Favourite List > Right Arrow
    then you can move them where ever they need to be.

You can set up to 5 different favourite lists and therefore you could even have them in 5 different positions.
  • Bulletguy1Bulletguy1 Posts: 18,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just dropped in on this thread as i'm looking at replacing my HDR-FOXSAT (Freesat channels) and purchasing a FOX-T2 for Freeview. Phoned Humax today and they still have "plenty in stock" though the guy attempted to persuade me to the 2000T or 2010T.

I'm sceptical that the later model is actually any better than the FOX-T2, but what do you guys think seeing as it seems most of you posting have owned both?

I know the T2 has a USB port so i can easily offload whatever i want to keep and that's important to me.

One thing i don't like about the 2000T is the silver front! Only a cosmetic thing i know but i thought the days of silver tellys, vcr's etc had long gone when they saw sense and went back to black.

Appreciate any comments.
  • grahamlthompsongrahamlthompson Posts: 18,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bulletguy1 wrote: »
    Just dropped in on this thread as i'm looking at replacing my HDR-FOXSAT (Freesat channels) and purchasing a FOX-T2 for Freeview. Phoned Humax today and they still have "plenty in stock" though the guy attempted to persuade me to the 2000T or 2010T.

I'm sceptical that the later model is actually any better than the FOX-T2, but what do you guys think seeing as it seems most of you posting have owned both?

I know the T2 has a USB port so i can easily offload whatever i want to keep and that's important to me.

One thing i don't like about the 2000T is the silver front! Only a cosmetic thing i know but i thought the days of silver tellys, vcr's etc had long gone when they saw sense and went back to black.

Appreciate any comments.

Go for the HDR FOX T2.

HDR2000T

Has no front display
    Does not support HD recording streaming to another Humax box (TCP-IP)
    Doesn't allow the aerial to be looped through the box when in sby

and most of all lacks the extra capability you can add to the box using the free web interface software.
  • Martin LiddleMartin Liddle Posts: 3,243
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Go for the HDR FOX T2.

HDR2000T

Has no front display

and most of all lacks the extra capability you can add to the box using the free web interface software.
    But on the other hand the HDR-2000T has a faster processor and supports IPTV channels and as new model will have Humax software updates for longer and (subject to registration with Humax) a two year warranty. Also you can buy a new HDR-2000T whereas as an HDR-FOX T2 will be almost certainly be refurbished and only have a one year warranty.

Both are decent boxes; there are pros and cons both ways.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Go for the HDR FOX T2.

HDR2000T

Has no front display

Thats good enough for me......cheers for that. Just noticed you posted in AV too!!

Update on that; the Fox T2 selling a bit cheaper than from Humax, the unit was ex-display, had no remote, and came without warranty plus it was 60 miles away from me in Birmingham!

So i'm going to order a T2 from Humax tomorrow. Spoke to them today and they told me they are returned or faulty stock but have been tested and checked over by Humax and come with full 12 month warranty. He said when you open the box, you won't be able to tell it from new.

The FOXSAT i currently have is about 4 or 5 years old, used virtually every day and never had a problem with it. I will stick it on ebay or Gumtree as i see they are still fetching decent money.
  • grahamlthompsongrahamlthompson Posts: 18,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bulletguy1 wrote: »
    Thats good enough for me......cheers for that. Just noticed you posted in AV too!!

Update on that; the Fox T2 selling a bit cheaper than from Humax, the unit was ex-display, had no remote, and came without warranty plus it was 60 miles away from me in Birmingham!

So i'm going to order a T2 from Humax tomorrow. Spoke to them today and they told me they are returned or faulty stock but have been tested and checked over by Humax and come with full 12 month warranty. He said when you open the box, you won't be able to tell it from new.

The FOXSAT i currently have is about 4 or 5 years old, used virtually every day and never had a problem with it. I will stick it on ebay or Gumtree as i see they are still fetching decent money.

Run both, install the Custom Firmware on both the HDR FOX T2 and the FOXSAT-HDR, you have the best of both. Some channels on Freeview are not on Freesat and vice versa.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Run both, install the Custom Firmware on both the HDR FOX T2 and the FOXSAT-HDR, you have the best of both. Some channels on Freeview are not on Freesat and vice versa.
    Graham......i know it may seem crazy to some people but to be honest in all the time i've owned the FOXSAT i've rarely if ever bothered with the Freesat channels....in fact i don't think i've even recorded anything off a Freesat channel! I use Freeview much more.

Just ordered this T2 from Humax and the guy told me the latest firmware is already installed. Amazingly it will be delivered tomorrow and i only ordered it at 1430hr.....not bad!