Options

Bad weather approaching

Comments

• Options
    NRGNRG Posts: 3,149
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    irishfeen wrote: »
    Hopefully not though! ... seems to be very bad here in Cork County - parts of Bantry, Carrigaline, Cork City, Crosshaven & Kinsale all reported to be under water with Mallow and Fermoy already flooded before tonight.
    Hopefully you're right but with the greatest respect to you I doubt it. Also hope the areas you mention don't get too severe a battering either.

And just as soon as I say it's calm here the winds outside have risen.
  • Options
    DixDix Posts: 79,142
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi guys, we had to go out yesterday, and encountered heavy rains and strong winds all day long. When we got to MIL's house, the wind was making growling woo woo sounds down her chimney, and something I hadn't heard for years.
    We decided to stay out for a bit longer, and landed on 3 flooded roads, was a most amazing day with all that rain, as it never stopped. -sigh-
  • Options
    irishfeenirishfeen Posts: 10,025
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    NRG wrote: »
    Hopefully you're right but with the greatest respect to you I doubt it. Also hope the areas you mention don't get too severe a battering either.

And just as soon as I say it's calm here the winds outside have risen.
    And reading tonight I hear Sunday Night/Monday morning might even be worse :o
  • Options
    NRGNRG Posts: 3,149
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    irishfeen wrote: »
    And reading tonight I hear Sunday Night/Monday morning might even be worse :o

Oh great!

The land and drainage system is saturated as it is without further deluge in coming days.
  • Options
    TylersnanTylersnan Posts: 1,866
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    On the south coast we have had minimal wind and rain today but with the high tides and saturated grounds it appears that our river has burst it's bank!https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=661241260585653
  • Options
    irishfeenirishfeen Posts: 10,025
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Irish west coast taking a battering - http://earth.nullschool.net/#current/wind/isobaric/1000hPa/orthographic=-15.37,54.22,3000

Waves of 45ft now being reported off Irish SW coast :o
  • Options
    victor melvictor mel Posts: 4,963
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Raining heavy now in Kent. Just think this system is the same that dumped the heavy snow on some parts of the East Coast of the USA. We would have had snow if it wasn't so mild.
  • Options
    LakieLadyLakieLady Posts: 19,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tylersnan wrote: »
    On the south coast we have had minimal wind and rain today but with the high tides and saturated grounds it appears that our river has burst it's bank!https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=661241260585653

Oh dear! We've had a noisy, windy, wet night here (Lewes) and not due to excessive sprout consumption.

This morning the weather is really strange: sill and just spitting with rain one minute, then blowing a gale and torrential rain the next.

The combination of prolonged heavy rain, high tides and high winds is a bad one. Floods are devastating, my friends couldn't move back into their house for 8 months after they were flooded in 2000.
  • Options
    annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    excluding tragedies and flooding, i`m loving this weather, it`s largely what used to be called autumn when i was a child.
  • Options
    Terry NTerry N Posts: 5,262
    Forum Member
    Lot of flooding in southern Ireland. It's coming. :eek:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-25586420
  • Options
    lemoncurdlemoncurd Posts: 57,778
    Forum Member
    Dix wrote: »
    Hi guys, we had to go out yesterday, and encountered heavy rains and strong winds all day long. When we got to MIL's house, the wind was making growling woo woo sounds down her chimney, and something I hadn't heard for years.
    We decided to stay out for a bit longer, and landed on 3 flooded roads, was a most amazing day with all that rain, as it never stopped. -sigh-

If I heard growling woo woo noises from my MIL's chimney, I'd be outta there in a shot!
  • Options
    LakieLadyLakieLady Posts: 19,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    excluding tragedies and flooding, i`m loving this weather, it`s largely what used to be called autumn when i was a child.

I liked it while I was off over Christmas (it was the perfect excuse for slobbing out for 10 days), but am a little less keen now I'm back at work.

I work in a rural area and am mentally planning alternative routes home in case of flooded roads and fallen trees. It's a bit tricky though, as I live and work on the northern side of town and if floods there, the southern side is likely to be even worse!
  • Options
    kelvokelvo Posts: 3,442
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    NRG wrote: »
    If you're home is in the area affected by those stealing sandbags and breaching the flood barrier you have my full sympathy. No luck will come out of breaching a flood barrier for peoples own selfish reasons.

Some friends of ours live just near Yalding in Kent and it has been really bad there, they're not right next to the river but were still flooded out to a depth of about 18 inches and with no power as well at times.

The fact that it was so quick meant they didn't have time to rescue much and so have spend much of recent days trying to clear things up, pretty much everywhere you went there were piles and piles of everyone's possessions outside their houses just waiting for the council to come round and collect it all - and they said nothing really prepares you for having to chuck all your stuff in the back of a bin lorry and destroyed.

times like this that I'm glad we don't live near a river and are high up.
  • Options
    victor melvictor mel Posts: 4,963
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Waiting for the snow.
  • Options
    viertevierte Posts: 4,286
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kelvo wrote: »
    Some friends of ours live just near Yalding in Kent and it has been really bad there, they're not right next to the river but were still flooded out to a depth of about 18 inches and with no power as well at times.

The fact that it was so quick meant they didn't have time to rescue much and so have spend much of recent days trying to clear things up, pretty much everywhere you went there were piles and piles of everyone's possessions outside their houses just waiting for the council to come round and collect it all - and they said nothing really prepares you for having to chuck all your stuff in the back of a bin lorry and destroyed.

times like this that I'm glad we don't live near a river and are high up.
    We've been lucky that we were given a warning yesterday to move things upstairs. A lot of my neighbours have stuck a few sandbags outside their doors and think that will suffice. I think people always assume it's not going to affect them. I've got most of my stuff stacked upstairs of else high up on counters or tables down stairs.
  • Options
    late8late8 Posts: 7,175
    Forum Member
    Looking at the BBC live reports its just a classic high tide with a bit of rain driving waves over costal walls and roads.

Not the Armageddon you would think it was looking at the reaction by the media etc last night.

Overreactions and exaggeration about the weather yet again.
  • Options
    I, CandyI, Candy Posts: 3,710
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    victor mel wrote: »
    Waiting for the snow.

I don't think there's any imminent threat of snow in Kent.
  • Options
    stvn758stvn758 Posts: 19,656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just brought my washing back in and gave it a spin in the machine to get rid of the rainwater it's soaked up the past few days, started the tumble dryer but it's blowing a gale now and no rain so I'm keeping a careful eye on it.

Bound to start pouring down again.
  • Options
    alcockellalcockell Posts: 25,160
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BBC News reporting that the Severn's broken its banks.

reading's now getting heavy rainfall.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    alcockell wrote: »
    BBC News reporting that the Severn's broken its banks.

reading's now getting heavy rainfall.

broken its banks by 30cm.

Also on BBC News 24 - Weather man saying the actual depression isnt anything spectacular- nor are the wind speeds. Its the High Tide risk coupled with some wind and mainly overloaded rivers. This "might" produce flooding in some coastal areas.

This has been blown out of all proportion..... again

Warning numbers are coming downs fast.
    Not a day goes by in this country when the MET dont issue some sort of Weather Warning thats totally unnecessary and OTT.

Its a classic example of the Nanny State telling people what to do and making people comfortably numb.
    When something happens its the the fault of the authorities not the idiots that didn't use their common-sense.

Meanwhile in the US - Actual dangerous weather is occurring.
  • Options
    d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,530
    Forum Member
    late8 wrote: »
    broken its banks by 30cm.

Also on BBC News 24 - Weather man saying the actual depression isnt anything spectacular- nor are the wind speeds. Its the High Tide risk coupled with some wind and mainly overloaded rivers. This "might" produce flooding in some coastal areas.

Think you'll find that flooding has occurred as predicted. Homes ruined, businesses awash. Misery for those in affected areas. These people need to know in advance so they can move stuff off the ground floor and protect it. Also, fast flowing water 30 to 50 cm deep is enough to wash cars away and put its occupants' lives at risk.
    Meanwhile in the US - Actual dangerous weather is occurring.

Think you'll find that the Environment Agency (who are issuing the flood warnings - not the Met Office - don't shoot the messenger) have no responsibility for protecting life or property in the US and so are unlikely to issue any warnings about the US.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,174
    Forum Member
    Wow, just seen the latest pictures after last night's onslaught. Hope everyone stays safe, especially with more to come.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,313
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Its a classic example of the Nanny State telling people what to do and making people comfortably numb.
    When something happens its the the fault of the authorities not the idiots that didn't use their common-sense.

Seriously? It's a weather forecast, that's all.

Oh the irony of you complaining things have been blown out of proportion :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    d'@ve wrote: »
    Think you'll find that flooding has occurred as predicted. Homes ruined, businesses awash. Misery for those in affected areas. These people need to know in advance so they can move stuff off the ground floor and protect it. Also, fast flowing water 30 to 50 cm deep is enough to wash cars away and put its occupants' lives at risk.

Think you'll find that the Environment Agency (who are issuing the flood warnings - not the Met Office - don't shoot the messenger) have no responsibility for protecting life or property in the US and so are unlikely to issue any warnings about the US.

actually it hasnt occurred as predicted. The media is finding the worst areas and they are no way near as bad as they were making it out to be.
    Many warnings have been dropped. Others are not severe.

Also my analogy regards the US has nothing to do with the MET office. More to do with the fact that THAT is severe weather not some pissy UK storm that isn't actually that unusual or extreme.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Odd Socks wrote: »
    Seriously? It's a weather forecast, that's all.

Oh the irony of you complaining things have been blown out of proportion :D

But thats exactly what happenes. A man interviewed on BBC news yesterday also rightly expressed concern over the over-reaction and OTT issuing of Weather Warnings.

As people rely more on being told instead of using there heads, when it does go bad they instantly blame someone else.