The Ratings Thread (Part 57)

Comments

• ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The fifth series of the BBC1 comedy Outnumbered starting on January 29 will be the last - The Sun
  • RobbieSykes123RobbieSykes123 Posts: 14,022
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ftv wrote: »
    The fifth series of the BBC1 comedy Outnumbered starting on January 29 will be the last - The Sun

Don't the writers say that at the start of every series?

Stupid scheduling as ever by the BSI:

- Outnumbered in no mans land with WR lead in

- EE tonight up against Bake Off - they may well be paired up in the autumn

- 6.45 Saturday night news giving Splash a chance against TVUK

All utterly baffling!
  • Steve WilliamsSteve Williams Posts: 11,875
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jonwo wrote: »
    I'm guessing Michael McIntyre's will air March 7th-April 11th as Graham Norton is off during that time and usually returns in April.

Well, today's Sun - as part of an article complaining how much he's getting paid for it, which is pointless - actually gives us a transmission date of Monday 10th March. It was never going to be on Friday, they don't want constant comparisons with Graham Norton. Course, Norton came to BBC1 while Jonathan Ross was still on, and often in the same weeks.

One reason why Norton is off during that period is because of Comic/Sport Relief which takes up one slot, and also for Easter, although Easter is later this year.
    cylon6 wrote: »
    That BBC1 Saturday schedule for January 25th is odd. The news should be on at 5.15pm and then programmes up to the main evening news. It is very stop start. Really odd and shows that they don't think Reflex is strong enough to lead into The Voice.

I wouldn't read too much into the news at 6.45, the week before last the news on Saturday teatime was at 6.10. It's often around 6.30 on a Sunday and the audience sticks with it. Presumably one reason for it was so Reflex could start on an ITV junction at six?
    AlexiR wrote: »
    In all seriousness a pilot season of some kind probably wouldn't be an entirely terrible idea. The audience might actually like some of this stuff and just one bad episode of a bad format is certainly better than an entire series.

They've got to make pilots, of course, and by their very nature some of them don't work and aren't transmitted. BBC1 did a series of pilot gameshows back in 1999, Friends Like These came out of it but there were three others, a show called Speculate where the audience had to bet on the outcome of various stunts, a people show with Paul O'Grady called Love Bites and something with Ulrika called The Birds And The Bees. Friends Like These was already commissioned when they showed the pilot, on a Saturday night, while Speculate and Love Bites were flung out on Wednesdays and got no viewers (and O'Grady signed a golden handcuffs deal with ITV virtually hours before it was broadcast) and the Ulrika show was too bad to broadcast.

Not sure if viewers would be prepared to sit through pilots, though. There was Dale's Great Getaway which ITV showed last Christmas and was a complete disaster. It could work if you had the same popular host doing them all but just a one-off isn't enough to attract a casual audience. The best quizzes grow through word of mouth and familiarity.
  • ronantronant Posts: 4,785
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wouldn't read too much into the news at 6.45, the week before last the news on Saturday teatime was at 6.10. It's often around 6.30 on a Sunday and the audience sticks with it. Presumably one reason for it was so Reflex could start on an ITV junction at six?

There's no ITV junction at 6pm - Nanny McPhee and the Big Bang runs until 6.20 when they have the News themselves.

They simply think that the News will give a better lead in to The Voice than Reflex would. The News is usually one of the most watched programmes of the day - however by doing this you've ruined the flow of the Saturday early evening schedule and it shows that they already believe, after just 1 episode, that Reflex is a no hoper.

They only see to care about The Voice, at the expense of Reflex and a strong Saturday early evening schedule.
  • lewiep93lewiep93 Posts: 5,880
    Forum Member
    UK TV Ratings ‏@TVRatingsUK 22s
    After news and soaps, #GBBOSportRelief was yesterday's most watched programme, with 4.31m/18.5% for @BBCTwo. @BritishBakeOff
  • AlbacomAlbacom Posts: 34,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ronant wrote: »
    There's no ITV junction at 6pm - Nanny McPhee and the Big Bang runs until 6.20 when they have the News themselves.

They simply think that the News will give a better lead in to The Voice than Reflex would. The News is usually one of the most watched programmes of the day - however by doing this you've ruined the flow of the Saturday early evening schedule and it shows that they already believe, after just 1 episode, that Reflex is a no hoper.

They only see to care about The Voice, at the expense of Reflex and a strong Saturday early evening schedule.

I agree. I said yesterday that if viewers see the BBC are showing no confidence in their programmes, they can't expect the viewers to either. It would be embarrassing for them if Reflex picked up a few more ratings this week. Why they always panic is beyond me. Dynamo and Reflex would possibly do better against a film anyway. Is the Nanny McPhee film a Premiere?
  • Stefano92Stefano92 Posts: 66,393
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    UK TV Ratings ‏@TVRatingsUK 39s
    After news and soaps, #GBBOSportRelief was yesterday's most watched programme, with 4.31m/18.5% for @BBCTwo. @BritishBakeOff

Looks like 9pm didn't exactly light the ratings on fire then for the main two channels.
  • JB92JB92 Posts: 2,510
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't the writers say that at the start of every series?

Stupid scheduling as ever by the BSI:

- Outnumbered in no mans land with WR lead in

- EE tonight up against Bake Off - they may well be paired up in the autumn

- 6.45 Saturday night news giving Splash a chance against TVUK

All utterly baffling!

I agree, Robbie. WR will have no EE lead in next week, so ratings for that will no doubt drop accordingly. Outnumbered will then get a very poor lead in and will be up against Midsummer Murders (?) which will already of had an hour head start.

With regards to Splash, I think it will flop wherever itv put it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Salv* wrote: »
    Looks like 9pm didn't exactly light the ratings on fire then for the main two channels.

Because there was sod all on?
  • kwynne42kwynne42 Posts: 75,337
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    UK TV Ratings ‏@TVRatingsUK 39s

Why would it there wasn't anything remotely worth watching at 9pm last night.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    24HinA&E 2.6m

CBB 2.49m

A good rating for 24H, I thought ratings would start to drop as this hardly ever seems to have a substantial break between series.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Odd rating for CBB, the same as the previous day which was a regular show. Hmm. Wish it had gotten higher. 11.8% share looks high for a rating like that, would have thought more around 2.6m.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Odd rating for CBB, the same as the previous day which was a regular show. Hmm. Wish it had gotten higher.

2.49m is a pretty consistent and healthy amount of regular viewers who enjoy watching CBB. Whatever anyone thinks about the show, it has a loyal following and I think in honesty, it is not really going to achieve a significant amount more than that. Considering what was on offer yesterday across the main channels, CBB did very well. Don't be disappointed.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    wizzywick wrote: »
    2.49m is a pretty consistent and healthy amount of regular viewers who enjoy watching CBB. Whatever anyone thinks about the show, it has a loyal following and I think in honesty, it is not really going to achieve a significant amount more than that. Considering what was on offer yesterday across the main channels, CBB did very well. Don't be disappointed.

Twitter has gotten ratings wrong and have reported it lower than DS the last two days, and the share looks unusually high, so that's why I was wondering :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    UK TV Ratings ‏@TVRatingsUK 2m
    After six years away, #TheKumars returned with 370k/1.7% for Sky1. Its last episode on BBC1 in August 2006 drew 2.5m (consolidated)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Twitter has gotten ratings wrong and have reported it lower than DS the last two days, and the share looks unusually high, so that's why I was wondering :)

Take into consideration that it appears both BBC1 and ITV had dismal ratings at 9pm (wouldn't be surprised to see WR get around 3m and Live at the Apollo around 2m), then the share in general across the board was probably lower and so the 11% share CBB got was exceptional because there was likely to be less people watching TV at that time.
  • cylon6cylon6 Posts: 25,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like the sound of this.

"@johnplunkett149: Michael Palin to take first TV leading drama role for 23 yrs, BBC1's Remember Me #montypython http://t.co/FZctAgJbFV"
  • Mike TeeveeMike Teevee Posts: 35,573
    Forum Member
    ITV must very gutted Man United got dumped out early from FA Cup

Man City clearly don't have enough glory hunters.... yet
    rank	programme	channel	time	figure
    1	Coronation Street	ITV	19:30	7767000
    2	EastEnders	BBC1 Inc HD	20:00	6666000
    3	Emmerdale	ITV	19:00	6649000
    4	Regional News and Weather	BBC1 Inc HD	18:30	5958000
    5	BBC News at Six	BBC1 Inc HD	18:00	5200000
    6	The One Show	BBC1 Inc HD	19:00	4407000
    7	The Great Sport Relief Bake Off	BBC2 Inc HD	20:00	4314000
    8	BBC News at Ten	BBC1 Inc HD	22:00	4222000
    9	Pointless	BBC1 Inc HD	17:15	3982000
    10	ITV News London	ITV	18:00	3752000
    11	ITV News & Weather	ITV	18:30	3723000
    12	Waterloo Road	BBC1 Inc HD	20:30	3327000
    13	FA Cup Replay: Manchester City v Blackburn Rovers	ITV	20:00	3268000
    14	BBC News at One	BBC1 Inc HD	13:00	3023000
    15	The Chase	ITV	17:00	2921000
    16	Regional News and Weather	BBC1 Inc HD	13:30	2884000
    17	Antiques Road Trip	BBC1 Inc HD	16:30	2345000
    18	24 Hours in A&E	Channel 4 Inc HD	21:00	2327000
    19	Celebrity Big Brother: Live Eviction	Channel 5 Inc HD	21:00	2314000
    20	Live at the Apollo	BBC1 Inc HD	21:30	2151000
    21	Bargain Hunt	BBC1 Inc HD	12:15	2117000
    22	A Question of Sport	BBC1 Inc HD	22:45	2111000
    23	Wild Brazil	BBC2 Inc HD	21:00	2025000
    24	The Restoration Man	Channel 4 Inc HD	20:00	1663000
    25	Great British Railway Journeys	BBC2 Inc HD	18:30	1642000

ITV does inc HD, ratings are NOT tape checked
  • Hit Em Up StyleHit Em Up Style Posts: 12,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    EastEnders hasn't done as bad as I expected it would have these past Wednesdays.

Wonder if its enough to make the BBC go five nights. I'm convinced this has been a trial run. It has echos of when they kept doing the random four episode test run in 1999.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Corrie rating is poor considering they're coming to the conclusion of a big storyline. Football also fared badly last night.

EE bang on last Wednesday's figures.
  • rr22rr22 Posts: 7,623
    Forum Member
    EastEnders hasn't done as bad as I expected it would have these past Wednesdays.

Wonder if its enough to make the BBC go five nights. I'm convinced this has been a trial run. It has echos of when they kept doing the random four episode test run in 1999.
    Doubt they are looking at five episodes a week. They are trying to fix the other four so they wouldn't want to bring in another at this stage when the others dont get to 8 million.
  • xeoxeo Posts: 6,429
    Forum Member

Going five nights would be a bad idea IMO. Four is more than enough.
  • rr22rr22 Posts: 7,623
    Forum Member
    xeo wrote: »
    Going five nights would be a bad idea IMO. Four is more than enough.

Four is too many I think for the show until it stabilises.
  • RobbieSykes123RobbieSykes123 Posts: 14,022
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ronant wrote: »

And yet in the Love 2014 trailer, still airing, Reflex is featured at the top of the list!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jesus, looking at that list outside of the soaps and news, what a low night! :eek:
This discussion has been closed.