Options

Arsenal v Bayern on Sky1 HD ... Why?

Dansky+HDDansky+HD Posts: 9,806
Forum Member
As per title

Arsenal v Bayern on Sky1 HD ... Why?

No complaint obviously but why are Sky doing this?

No real press release or ad campaign to tell us this happening.

Comments

• Options
    Deleted_User381237831Deleted_User381237831 Posts: 7,902
    Forum Member
    To compete against The Brits on ITV probably.... Looks better on Sky 1 with the transparent DOG. ;-)

Why they're showing it on Sky Sports 1 as well though is a mystery. Surely anyone who subscribes to Sky Sports has access to Sky 1?

Except for NowTV customers. However, anyone who willingly pays £10 for 1 day of Sky Sports needs to be locked up.....
  • Options
    gothergother Posts: 14,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Most likely because BT recently did a freeview day too. I think we'll see this more often over time it's basically BT and Sky saying "look at what you're missing out on."
  • Options
    Forum Member
    gother wrote: »
    Most likely because BT recently did a freeview day too. I think we'll see this more often over time it's basically BT and Sky saying "look at what you're missing out on."

Hardly, seeing as ITV shows CL football.
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    To compete against The Brits on ITV probably.... Looks better on Sky 1 with the transparent DOG. ;-)

Why they're showing it on Sky Sports 1 as well though is a mystery. Surely anyone who subscribes to Sky Sports has access to Sky 1?

Except for NowTV customers. However, anyone who willingly pays £10 for 1 day of Sky Sports needs to be locked up.....
    Presumably it would be for people who have Sky1 and not Sky Sports but they're not going to fiddle unnesseccarily with their standard CL schedule.

I'd imagine there would be many complaints as to why the match wasn't on SS as they wouldn't be expecting it to be on Sky1.
  • Options
    mersey70mersey70 Posts: 5,049
    Forum Member
    If they make a habit of showing UCL games on Sky 1 it could be that they're trying to dilute the content in anticipation of BT taking over. I know it's not until 2015 so we'll have to see what transpires but it wouldn't look quite as 'premium' if loads of games have been available on non premium channels.

Maybe I'm just being cynical :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I'd still go with it with something to put on against the Brits. It could have easily been a top film.

I'm surprised they didn't seem to advertise it though.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    mersey70 wrote: »
    If they make a habit of showing UCL games on Sky 1 it could be that they're trying to dilute the content in anticipation of BT taking over. I know it's not until 2015 so we'll have to see what transpires but it wouldn't look quite as 'premium' if loads of games have been available on non premium channels.

Maybe I'm just being cynical :D

Mind you, this ain't a bad shout to be fair...

Not like Sky have ever tried to undermine the competition before, have they?!?
  • Options
    tvsatweektvsatweek Posts: 863
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's to get you to sign up to the sports pack
  • Options
    Forum Member

Heaven no!

I wouldn't blame them mind you, it's exactly what I'd do :D
  • Options
    DWA9ISDWA9IS Posts: 10,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

WOW is that the Day price? you might as well pay the £22 one off charge for the month doing that! Then cancel straight away!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    lotrjw wrote: »
    WOW is that the Day price? you might as well pay the £22 one off charge for the month doing that! Then cancel straight away!

You're quite right but of course you'll already be paying for an entertainment package too.

Now TV is aimed at people who don't have or indeed want ongoing subscription television but may wish to dip into premium content every now and again.

But I agree, £10 does perhaps seem a bit steep!
  • Options
    Forum Member

There's another Champions League match on Sky 1 next week.

How odd :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 248
    Forum Member
    mersey70 wrote: »
    You're quite right but of course you'll already be paying for an entertainment package too.

Now TV is aimed at people who don't have or indeed want ongoing subscription television but may wish to dip into premium content every now and again.

But I agree, £10 does perhaps seem a bit steep!

Just to add to the confusion, according to the NOW TV forum, the match was also available on SKY 1 via the Now Entertainment Monthly Pass for £4.99

I'm not sure SKY / NOW TV have fully thought this through....
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,979
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was interested in reading the comments, I watched the match FTA on ZDF2 HD,German chatter but the Boos/Squeal/applause was fully understood.
  • Options
    sodafountainsodafountain Posts: 16,863
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm not sure SKY / NOW TV have fully thought this through....

Why do you say that, reasons?

I'm sure they know what they're doing better than you do :confused:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 621
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    People who subscribe to Sky Sports should be outraged, they are paying a premium for Sports subscriptions and Sky are now giving away champions league matches to people who are on the basic packages.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    JTsky wrote: »
    People who subscribe to Sky Sports should be outraged, they are paying a premium for Sports subscriptions and Sky are now giving away champions league matches to people who are on the basic packages.
    Unless you wanted to watch the AC Milan match
  • Options
    ftakeithftakeith Posts: 3,476
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I will be watching sky1 for the schalke v real game live on wednesday
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 248
    Forum Member
    Why do you say that, reasons?

I'm sure they know what they're doing better than you do :confused:

Because Now TV are pushing the Sky Sports day pass at £9.99 a day for people who want to watch the occasional match If some of these matches are now on Sky 1 at £4.99 a month it does not look like a well thought out strategy to me, but as you say what do I know??

Also Now TV staff were advising people that they had to get the day pass to see the match beforehand until a manager intervened which hardly suggests it was clearly planned.
  • Options
    CricketbladeCricketblade Posts: 2,218
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JTsky wrote: »

A few games of football a year isn't worth getting outraged about.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 385
    Forum Member
    The 2nd leg of the Utd v Olympiacos tie is on Sky1 HD as well. People who buy sky sports for the Champions League must be very annoyed, particularly Utd fans.

With the 3 ITV games & 2 on Sky1 with this game, only 3 of their 8 games have actually been behind the subscription! I don't understand it at all, seems a very strange move to make 4 times, albeit with tonight's game not featuring a British side.
  • Options
    Marti SMarti S Posts: 5,794
    Forum Member
    coadyltfc wrote: »
    The 2nd leg of the Utd v Olympiacos tie is on Sky1 HD as well. People who buy sky sports for the Champions League must be very annoyed, particularly Utd fans.

With the 3 ITV games & 2 on Sky1 with this game, only 3 of their 8 games have actually been behind the subscription! I don't understand it at all, seems a very strange move to make 4 times, albeit with tonight's game not featuring a British side.

Why should sky sports subscribers be annoyed, they are not being disadvantaged by sky 1 showing the odd match, they have done this with movies for years.

In fact it saves them money on filling the slot and probably earns them more advertising revenue than repeats.
  • Options
    sat-iresat-ire Posts: 4,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Trust me, we've dozens of other things to be getting annoyed about!
  • Options
    mogzyboymogzyboy Posts: 6,436
    Forum Member
    sat-ire wrote: »
    Trust me, we've dozens of other things to be getting annoyed about!
    True that! :D

Suspect the combined audience will be decent, especially if it's 2-2 on aggregate with ten minutes to go...
  • Options
    pjexpjex Posts: 9,408
    Forum Member

The season after next Sky will not show any Champions Leafue, this is clearly a strategy to slowly let Sky Sports subscribers realise they pay for other content and the champions league does not have any additional cost hence them putting it on Sky 1.

Then is a years time they can happily lose the content without reducing the sports subscription as they can argue that it wasn't part of the sports subscription.

I imagine next season many games if not all the high profile ones will move to Sky 1, so there isn't the appearnace of a sudden drop in content on the sports channels in 2015.

This is all about protecting the revenue they receive, the big focus for them which they have built up some extra cash reserves for by losing the champions league is to ensure they protect their Premier League content as it is that that drives sports subscriptions not the Champions League.