What age do you consider yourself 'Old'?

Comments

• KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    KittyKream wrote: »
    How old are you if I may ask? :)

Dunno. 41 or 42. Don't ever underestimate the horror of turning 40.
    Forum Member
    Blondie X wrote: »
    I'm 43 and, although I know I'm no longer young, I certainly don't think I'm old.

I think maybe having a couple of friends who have passed away before even reaching their 40th birthday (and another who never reached his 3oth) makes you realise there are worse things than getting older and not being around to get old is the worst one of all

Really? I know plenty of people in their 70s who always say to me that getting old is horrible and no fun whatsoever. Getting old, your body breaking down, loss of mobility, of intellect, sitting in an old folk's home that reeks of urine and excrement, I can't think of anything worse.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,273
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't want to turn 40,I'm going to invent something between now and then to stop it happening :D

I plan on looking very hot at 40 so I'm looking forward to all the "OMG NO WAY DO YOU LOOK 40!!!" comments. ;-)

Seriously though, it doesn't bother me in the slightest. I had my children quite young so my 40s should hopefully be about having fun. :)
  • anne_666anne_666 Posts: 72,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree,I'm 30 and i think thats the age you have to stop kidding yourself.

You aren't 'old' at 30 but not young either.

Still Time Magazine have given me a few years yet :p

Does this really matter to you? Be grateful for your life is all I can say. We all get older by the second and then we die. Some people don't get the chance to get old.
  • KittyKreamKittyKream Posts: 4,329
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dunno. 41 or 42. Don't ever underestimate the horror of turning 40.

Well I didn't put 40 and concede maybe I should have.

But looking at the votes it would not have scored highly anyway

And fret not I am in no way looking forward to turning 40 :cry:
  • Blondie XBlondie X Posts: 28,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Really? I know plenty of people in their 70s who always say to me that getting old is horrible and no fun whatsoever. Getting old, your body breaking down, loss of mobility, of intellect, sitting in an old folk's home that reeks of urine and excrement, I can't think of anything worse.

So you think dying of cancer in your 30's is better than gradually ageing and maybe not being that mobile when you're in your 70's?

In complete contrast to the people you know, all of my family who are the generation above me are fit and healthy into their 70's and even 80's. My gran was around until 96 and was only ill for the last 3 months of her life. Before then, she was still doing her own shopping and meeting friends several times a week.

I'm the same age as you and I can honestly say I have no problem being in my 40's and am enjoying my life
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    anne_666 wrote: »
    Does this really matter to you? Be grateful for your life is all I can say. We all get older by the second and then we die. Some people don't get the chance to get old.

Scroll back and I say to Blondie that having your health is the most important regardless of age :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    GOGO2 wrote: »
    I plan on looking very hot at 40 so I'm looking forward to all the "OMG NO WAY DO YOU LOOK 40!!!" comments. ;-)

Seriously though, it doesn't bother me in the slightest. I had my children quite young so my 40s should hopefully be about having fun. :)

That's a very sensible mature outlook

How very dare you :D
    Forum Member
    So you think dying of cancer in your 30's is better than gradually ageing and maybe not being that mobile when you're in your 70's?

In complete contrast to the people you know, all of my family who are the generation above me are fit and healthy into their 70's and even 80's. My gran was around until 96 and was only ill for the last 3 months of her life. Before then, she was still doing her own shopping and meeting friends several times a week.

I'm the same age as you and I can honestly say I have no problem being in my 40's and am enjoying my life

What's "better" got to do with it? I think people experience age relatively. When you're in your 70s with health issues, or no family, or financial problems then I suspect there's not much to choose between the two.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I agree. Having a rank pessimistic attitude to life, surely has to be the worst way for anyone to live. Death is the only alternative.;-)
  • IzzySIzzyS Posts: 11,045
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm not sure, its between 50 and 60 I'd say, nowadays - probably 60 really. I can remember when I was a kid and I thought people in their 40s were old - probably when my parents were in their 40s, when I was barely a teen. How embarrassing to think that then...deary me!.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    IzzyS wrote: »
    I'm not sure, its between 50 and 60 I'd say, nowadays - probably 60 really. I can remember when I was a kid and I thought people in their 40s were old - probably when my parents were in their 40s, when I was barely a teen. How embarrassing to think that then...deary me!.

:D then when you reach 60 the same will apply. 90 Will probably seem old then I promise you. I'm in my sixties and the disbelief at what I used to consider old is just like yours.:)
  • aligailaligail Posts: 481
    Forum Member
    I'm in my late 60's so I suppose considered old by most people - but I don't feel it and I think I am more content now than at most stages of my life.
    I don't have much money to spare so even though I have been retired for several years I don't go on holidays but I live in a beautiful area of the UK, walk miles daily,go riding , have lots of friends, am in a happy relationship and my children and grandchildren live not far away.
    I don't get stressed over things like I did when I was younger and generally just feel content. Of course being healthy - at the moment anyway - certainly helps , but I just don't think of myself as being old !
  • Summer BreezeSummer Breeze Posts: 4,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    aligail wrote: »
    I'm in my late 60's so I suppose considered old by most people - but I don't feel it and I think I am more content now than at most stages of my life.
    I don't have much money to spare so even though I have been retired for several years I don't go on holidays but I live in a beautiful area of the UK, walk miles daily,go riding , have lots of friends, am in a happy relationship and my children and grandchildren live not far away.
    I don't get stressed over things like I did when I was younger and generally just feel content. Of course being healthy - at the moment anyway - certainly helps , but I just don't think of myself as being old !

Lovely comments :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    :D then when you reach 60 the same will apply. 90 Will probably seem old then I promise you. I'm in my sixties and the disbelief at what I used to consider old is just like yours.:)

Most likely, yes. 90 is definitely old, I don't think I'd have ever disagreed with that lol. My parents are in their early 60s and I don't really see them as old as such though, I suppose but I think there's maybe a sense in which we don't think of our own parents as being especially old but others of the same age may seem old, if that makes any sense(?!).

I remember when I was a kid, my grandmother once asking me to guess her age, saying she wouldn't be offended because she had a good sense of humour (just as well lol) and I pondered for a few moments before saying something like 85, when she was actually something like 71 :blush: but I was probably only about 10 or 12 at the time. I'm rotten at judging peoples age lol.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    aligail wrote: »

Hear hear. I wholeheartedly agree. I've had serious health issues, good prognosis and I really can't imagine dealing with this when I was younger in such a calm manner. I now also have no fear of death which came with age too. I lost my oldest teenage daughter to cancer and I wish she had lived to even consider getting old. We are very lucky:)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hear hear. I wholeheartedly agree. I've had serious health issues, good prognosis and I really can't imagine dealing with this when I was younger in such a calm manner. I now also have no fear of death which came with age too.;-)

You'd agree that with age comes clarity then, perhaps? that gives me something to look forward to then :)
  • FizixFizix Posts: 16,932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I put 60 aswell :)

MAYBE YOU MIGHT FEEL OLD AT 33 :D

I most certainly will not, I'm fit, healthy, lead a comfortable and relaxed life. I believe stress and pressure ages you physically, mentally and emotionally. So, no pretentiousness in that, just my outlook on life.
  • MuggsyMuggsy Posts: 19,251
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What's "better" got to do with it? I think people experience age relatively. When you're in your 70s with health issues, or no family, or financial problems then I suspect there's not much to choose between the two.

I would have thought being in your twenties with health issues, no family and financial problems was pretty miserable too.

I'm 60, and don't consider myself old. I've got no health issues (other than a stinking cold generously donated by my daughter>:() and I couldn't give a flying wotsit whether others think I'm old or not. Pessimism and negativity are probably the most ageing traits I've ever come across.
  • Keyser_Soze1Keyser_Soze1 Posts: 25,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it depends on your outlook and your life experiences. :)

One thing I will say is that it all goes past far, far too quickly - no matter what your quality of life.

Hardly original but true. :cry:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    IzzyS wrote: »
    You'd agree that with age comes clarity then, perhaps? that gives me something to look forward to then :)

You sound uncertain about something love. What is unclear to you?:)
    Forum Member
    Muggsy wrote: »
    I would have thought being in your twenties with health issues, no family and financial problems was pretty miserable too.

I'm 60, and don't consider myself old. I've got no health issues (other than a stinking cold generously donated by my daughter>:() and I couldn't give a flying wotsit whether others think I'm old or not. Pessimism and negativity are probably the most ageing traits I've ever come across.

Of course, but since when has it been a competition?
  • RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    I'm 57 (and a half!) and don't consider myself old.

I couldn't care less whether other people think I am or not, which I think is the key to not behaving old.
  • Summer BreezeSummer Breeze Posts: 4,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Of course, but since when has it been a competition?

Gosh you are a one.
    Why so harsh all the time?
    You need a cuddle? :)
  • Keyser_Soze1Keyser_Soze1 Posts: 25,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You are never truly old until you are dead.

That's old.