state of todays music

mal2poolmal2pool Posts: 5,690
Forum Member
Just listening to the radio, never heard such rubbish.where are all the different genres of music. Seems if any star bangs any old rubbish out people buy it. Groups, singers used to last around 5 years if they were lucky. Will I am, beyonce, pharell, its all rubbish.

Comments

• thewaywardbusthewaywardbus Posts: 2,738
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Listen to a different radio station, plenty on the internet
  • AdzPowerAdzPower Posts: 4,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Here we go again...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yawn...
  • LED93LED93 Posts: 109
    Forum Member
    mal2pool wrote: »
    Just listening to the radio, never heard such rubbish.where are all the different genres of music. Seems if any star bangs any old rubbish out people buy it. Groups, singers used to last around 5 years if they were lucky. Will I am, beyonce, pharell, its all rubbish.

You're completely right, although stating that on here just makes you a lightening rod for criticism. People always say that good music is out there you just have to look for it. However, all the classic artists, apart for a few, i.e. Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin were in the charts frequently. Look at the Beatles, 17 number ones and various other singles in the charts. The Rolling Stones too, had numerous top 40 hits. I don't care if people call me a snob, but the music back then is more credible that the complete tripe that passes for 'music' today. It's no accident that the biggest selling and most acclaimed artists are from the 60's, 70's and to a degree 80's and 90's. Rant over, feel free to direct criticism my way for not being 'current' and 'with the times' when it comes to music.
  • BRITLANDBRITLAND Posts: 3,443
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    oh god its that time of every month were we get a rant on todays music being shit
  • Pink KnightPink Knight Posts: 24,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think todays music is shit, its my ears that have become defective as I have aged.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Correct. But abit predictable... we all know it's crap in comparison to previous decades. No point repeating what's been said over a thousand times.
  • mialiciousmialicious Posts: 4,686
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't listen to the mainstream radio stations. They make music selections based on the money they receive and DJs are employed not for the music they like but for their name.
  • misslibertinemisslibertine Posts: 14,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Because we needed yet another of these threads....
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    On a sidenote though, I found it amusing how the residential modern pop fans immediately got all pissy about said thread.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    On a sidenote though, I found it amusing how the residential modern pop fans immediately got all pissy about said thread.

To be fair it's quite frustrating seeing the same topic rant posted every month or fortnight even
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BRITLAND wrote: »
    To be fair it's quite frustrating seeing the same topic rant posted every month or fortnight even

indeed ..

Music is music, good or bad. I love all of it and never pigeonhole myself into genres or anything like that. And, unlike the OP, I can appreciate that taste in music is as subjective as anything else.

But no, let's all stamp our feet and scream "It's all rubbish ! rubbish i tell you !!"
  • mgvsmithmgvsmith Posts: 16,456
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Yes, chart music was more varied and more interesting in the past. Many of the big artists were in the charts on numerous occasions as suggested above. Technology in different ways has created a homogeneity of sounds in the charts. Pop music has lost its cultural significance mainly being replaced by social media and computer games.

You will find a considerable amount of new music on services like Spotify or Bandcamp. Most of it is retrospective in its influences and there is occasional brilliance. Live music is probably more satisfying but in the near future you can create your own music quite easily. Try Eno's Bloom on iPad or Reactable, it's called generative music.

That covers most things.
  • misslibertinemisslibertine Posts: 14,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I couldn't be more despairing of "the state of today's music", but I don't see the need for a new thread about the same topic each and every week.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Who agrees that we should have an official "Chart Music Is Shit" thread on here?
  • rfonzorfonzo Posts: 11,771
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think the state of todays music is relatively average. You have a few artists like Beyonce, Rihanna, Jay Z etc dominating the scene. I think you have two or three artists who are the big names over the genres. Adele being another example. Rock music has two or three bands. There seems to be a shortage of talent within the mainstream and the artists who are seen as prime billing are always releasing material.

I am not sure what the leftfield or less commercial artists are like?
  • Hav_mor91Hav_mor91 Posts: 17,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Music has changed so much. Your never gonna get the diversity on the radio as you once did as there are so many ways of getting hold of exactly what you want when you want it. Radio is the most popular and commercial and is very rarely going to be the best. I mean in 1980 some sap would have been complaining about Duran Duran etc etc and os the cycle continues.
  • Rae_AmuryRae_Amury Posts: 588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    LED93 wrote: »
    You're completely right, although stating that on here just makes you a lightening rod for criticism. People always say that good music is out there you just have to look for it. However, all the classic artists, apart for a few, i.e. Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin were in the charts frequently. Look at the Beatles, 17 number ones and various other singles in the charts. The Rolling Stones too, had numerous top 40 hits. I don't care if people call me a snob, but the music back then is more credible that the complete tripe that passes for 'music' today. It's no accident that the biggest selling and most acclaimed artists are from the 60's, 70's and to a degree 80's and 90's. Rant over, feel free to direct criticism my way for not being 'current' and 'with the times' when it comes to music.

It's not about music, it's about people. The demand for quality is low. And not only in music but also literature, movies etc. Big radio stations are playing rubbish because that's what most of the people want to hear or are satisfied with, idk.
  • SoupietwistSoupietwist Posts: 1,314
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    indeed ..

Music is music, good or bad. I love all of it and never pigeonhole myself into genres or anything like that. And, unlike the OP, I can appreciate that taste in music is as subjective as anything else.

But no, let's all stamp our feet and scream "It's all rubbish ! rubbish i tell you !!"

Good attitude.........But wait merely a quick glance at your posting history shows you do actually slag artists of too.
  • mgvsmithmgvsmith Posts: 16,456
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rae_Amury wrote: »
    It's not about music, it's about people. The demand for quality is low. And not only in music but also literature, movies etc. Big radio stations are playing rubbish because that's what most of the people want to hear or are satisfied with, idk.

Of course, there is one area of popular culture that has never been better, TV,
    TV Drama from the US, the UK and Scandinavia is going through a golden age.
    It's a good time to watch TV like 'Breaking Bad', 'True Detective', 'Sons of Anarchy', 'Game of Thrones', 'In the Line of Duty', 'Endeavour', 'Broadchurch', 'The Killing', 'The Bridge' etc etc..
    Time to watch the box I think?
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good attitude.........But wait merely a quick glance at your posting history shows you do actually slag artists of too.

Hhmm, which artists have i slagged off ?. I can think of a few obvious ones like Bieber, Westlife and probably MIA, but I can't remember many more .. but then i am getting old :)
  • Pandora 9Pandora 9 Posts: 2,350
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I quite like todays music but then again I have always liked all kinds of music. I am not a big fan of rap but that's just because I prefer a song to be sang.
  • warszawawarszawa Posts: 4,437
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think a lot of it is down to production/arrangement. Today's chart music sounds like a lot of it is made by the same team, using the same sounds. Then i'll hear a song i thought was crap done differently, and it turns out to be quite good.
  • gasheadgashead Posts: 13,809
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Congratulations, you've made the final step into turning into your Dad. :)
  • mrkite77mrkite77 Posts: 5,386
    Forum Member
    Just listening to the radio

Spotted the problem.