Stewart Lee's Comedy Vehicle, Series Three-starts Sat 1st March

1171819202123»

Comments

• njpnjp Posts: 27,583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jefferson wrote: »
    Yes, but series 1 and 2 were crap. And I suspect a lot of his fans will begin to realise that.
    Whilst I admire your fortitude in forcing yourself to endure 3 series of a stand-up comic whose work you evidently despise, I fear you are likely to be disappointed.

Most of us enjoyed them all.
  • codename_47codename_47 Posts: 9,683
    Forum Member
    Ahhh leave him be, he's the only thing keeping the thread going now the series is over.

Lets see if he can keep it up for the seemingly 3 year gap to the next series :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6
    Forum Member
    I've enjoyed all 3 series but I feel the act is starting to go stale.
  • Phoenix LazarusPhoenix Lazarus Posts: 17,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    YWK wrote: »
    I've enjoyed all 3 series but I feel the act is starting to go stale.

I can imagine Lee himself anticipating such a general backlash of opinion by touring a show called Reheated Stew or Leftover Stew.
  • VetinariVetinari Posts: 3,345
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ahhh leave him be, he's the only thing keeping the thread going now the series is over.

Lets see if he can keep it up for the seemingly 3 year gap to the next series :D

He'll need to study the 'Doc Martin' thread.

That lot are past masters at continuing to flog a horse months after it took its last breath.
  • GrecomaniaGrecomania Posts: 19,591
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hate to drag this thread up again, but there was a lot of twaddly talk about Lee insulting Hillsborough in one of these shows.

He's denied it here. Quite frankly I never thought it was anything to do with that, and was a ridiculous stretch.
  • rfonzorfonzo Posts: 11,772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think Stewart Lee is brilliant I saw him with my Mum live at the Brighton Dome. He did a routine about crisps and his Grandad.
  • SupratadSupratad Posts: 10,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hate to drag this thread up again, but there was a lot of twaddly talk about Lee insulting Hillsborough in one of these shows.

He's denied it here. Quite frankly I never thought it was anything to do with that, and was a ridiculous stretch.

I kinda did think he was making a subtle reference to it. He seems edgy enough to do it, but of course, having read that, he was being far more benign.

Quite looking forward to May next year as I have tickets to see him again.
  • Dub2Dub2 Posts: 2,869
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Stewart Lee.. Likewise, there was a bit in the last telly series where I make fun of Paul Nuttalls [sic] from the Ukips by using stereotypes of Liverpool about him. And one of the stereotypes about Liverpool I included was that they have a penchant for sentimentality, and sort of thinking of it in terms of the music and nostalgia-based comedy they had with Tom O’Connor in the 70s and whatever, and one or two people came up to me who seemed to think I was making fun of attitudes to Hillsborough, which hadn’t occurred to me at any point

Complete and utter cowardly bullsh.it. When he stopped and stared right into the camera,talking about a Scouse victim culture, i do not believe for one second he was talking about Tom O`Connor in the 1970`s. He was talking about Hillsborough.

He should just man up and apologise at this stage, because this Tom O`Connor nonsense just makes it worse.
  • Yo Omars CominYo Omars Comin Posts: 1,572
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Apologise for something he hasn't said? Apologise for people being insulted by their own interpretations?

Good grief.
  • The WulfrunianThe Wulfrunian Posts: 1,312
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dub2 wrote: »
    Complete and utter cowardly bullsh.it. When he stopped and stared right into the camera,talking about a Scouse victim culture, i do not believe for one second he was talking about Tom O`Connor in the 1970`s. He was talking about Hillsborough.

He should just man up and apologise at this stage, because this Tom O`Connor nonsense just makes it worse.

You really think he'd make a joke about Hillsborough, on BBC2? Really?

I've lived in Liverpool for 14 years. Take Hillsborough out of it and he's spot on.
  • JCRJCR Posts: 24,069
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There is stuff about Tom O'Connor in one of his earlier dvds (41st Best Stand Up Ever, I think) so maybe he legitimately thought folk would make a connection.

It means whatever you want it to mean.
  • Metal MickeyMetal Mickey Posts: 1,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ... the seemingly 3 year gap to the next series...
    He's been working up material for season 4 in a long-ish run at the Leicester Square theatre in London for the past few weeks, with a few nights still to go, and the series itself to be filmed & broadcast in 2015... hurrah!
  • GrecomaniaGrecomania Posts: 19,591
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

You are amusing on this, you even kept on telling us he'd made constant jibes about Hillsborough in his earlier days, we kept on asking for a link you kept on not giving one, because they don't exist.

He brought it up in the interview, he didn't need to, because outside this thread (and mainly you), not many have made this absurd accusation/connection.
  • SaturnVSaturnV Posts: 11,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If it helps, I'm a Scouser and shall be buying tickets.
  • codename_47codename_47 Posts: 9,683
    Forum Member

He is referencing it.

His next tour is called: "Hillsbourough, Get over it, Liverpool!"

*sigh* You gotta fight fire with fire sometimes.
  • JCRJCR Posts: 24,069
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just wondering does anyone have the dvd of this? There's apparently 2 hours of him talking to Morris, only a fraction of which was seen on screen, am wondering if it's worth buying purely for that?
  • JeffersonJefferson Posts: 3,736
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rfonzo wrote: »
    I think Stewart Lee is brilliant I saw him with my Mum live at the Brighton Dome. He did a routine about crisps and his Grandad.

Oh Gawd, the interminable crisps one.

Was anyone polite enough to laugh or was he booed off?
  • Robin DaviesRobin Davies Posts: 426
    Forum Member
    Has anyone seen the DVD of his show "90s Comedian"? There's a woman near the front who sits stony-faced through the entire show.
    Of course I know there are people who don't find Stewart Lee funny (there will always be people with poor taste) but I can't understand why she didn't walk out.
    It's almost as if she was planted there specifically to make him uncomfortable.
  • njpnjp Posts: 27,583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Has anyone seen the DVD of his show "90s Comedian"? There's a woman near the front who sits stony-faced through the entire show.
    Of course I know there are people who don't find Stewart Lee funny (there will always be people with poor taste) but I can't understand why she didn't walk out.
    It's almost as if she was planted there specifically to make him uncomfortable.
    Perhaps it was Jefferson in drag. Not finding Stewart Lee funny is a bit of a hobby of his.
  • Mairi_CameronMairi_Cameron Posts: 350
    Forum Member
    Jefferson wrote: »
    Oh Gawd, the interminable crisps one.

Was anyone polite enough to laugh or was he booed off?

... all the different flavours ...
  • GatehouseGatehouse Posts: 486
    Forum Member
    JCR wrote: »
    Just wondering does anyone have the dvd of this? There's apparently 2 hours of him talking to Morris, only a fraction of which was seen on screen, am wondering if it's worth buying purely for that?

I haven't seen it, but I would say almost certainly it's a "yes". ;-)
  • GatehouseGatehouse Posts: 486
    Forum Member
    ... all the different flavours ...

Well that line alone there was enough to have me creasing up, so thank you :)