Options

Location Location Location.

louise1966louise1966 Posts: 4,012
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Goodness, how times have changed. On the show this morning, is an anglican vicar and his wife, looking to find a new home in Leytonstone, London, circa £240k as, when he retires, they will have to move out of the 4 bedroom vicarage.
I am catholic and have always believed, and still do, that joining the priesthood is a vocation. I do think that becoming a vicar, is a whole different ball game. Obviously, they are allowed to marry, and many have financial interests outside of the church. It doesn't appear that the anglican church welcomes vicars, who are prepared to be "as poor as church mice" (which is how Robert 'Mouseman' Thompson's designs were named). It is a profitable undertaking these days, although the catholic church, whilst not subjecting it's priests to a life of poverty, seems less focused on wealth for it's individual clerics.
Joining the church, at least as an anglican vicar, seems to be quite a profitable career path.

Comments

• Options
    walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,944
    Forum Member
    I don't know how much they get paid, but if you'd lived rent free for your entire life you'd probably be quite wealthy as well.
  • Options
    conceptasconceptas Posts: 739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If I had my way, religion would be abolished and they'd have to find and do a normal job like everybody else.
    Religion has caused more wars, trouble etc than anything else and the only positive thing going for it is it gives people something to believe in, to grasp onto in the hope of an afterlife.
    Would also convert churches into flats as there is a housing shortage nationwide (would also do that with Buckingham palace but that's another story)
  • Options
    CaxtonCaxton Posts: 28,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    conceptas wrote: »
    If I had my way, religion would be abolished and they'd have to find and do a normal job like everybody else.
    Religion has caused more wars, trouble etc than anything else and the only positive thing going for it is it gives people something to believe in, to grasp onto in the hope of an afterlife.
    Would also convert churches into flats as there is a housing shortage nationwide (would also do that with Buckingham palace but that's another story)

You could pack quite a few homeless by converting Westminster Abbey, St Paul's Cathedral, and other cathedrals, not to mention the huge vicarages and manses, bishop's palaces etc., all over the country, to flats or maisonettes, The list is endless, it would employ builders and other trades, doing the conversions and cure the housing shortage.
    At the same time it would make quite a good few programmes for Kirsty and Phil with Location Location Location, win, win, win:D
  • Options
    conceptasconceptas Posts: 739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Caxton wrote: »
    You could pack quite a few homeless by converting Westminster Abbey, St Paul's Cathedral, and other cathedrals, not to mention the huge vicarages and manses, bishop's palaces etc., all over the country, to flats or maisonettes, The list is endless, it would employ builders and other trades, doing the conversions and cure the housing shortage.
    At the same time it would make quite a good few programmes for Kirsty and Phil with Location Location Location:D

Exactly, more to gain than to lose.
  • Options
    CaxtonCaxton Posts: 28,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    conceptas wrote: »
    Exactly, more to gain than to lose.

I am surprised why nobody has not thought of that brilliant idea before.
  • Options
    CentaurionCentaurion Posts: 2,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    convert westminster abbey into flats for homeless drug addicts ?

i do worry that there are people out there in DS lal la land with access to sharp objects.

this place is a tonic and no mistake. :)