Endeavour is back soon!

Comments

• LordBobbinLordBobbin Posts: 359
    Forum Member
    catsitter wrote: »
    Perhaps they are setting it up for something to happen in the next episode?

My thought precisely. It's almost the end of the series, so perhaps Sunday's episode will have some sort of racism theme. But until the series ends, we won't know whether it's going to be used or not...

And it's not as though they've been letting it hang out all over Oxford so far... Mostly they've been sticking to private places. Morse wouldn't be the type to be bothered by other people staring at them, so that might be why we haven't seen any of that even in public - perhaps they are being stared at a little, but Morse simply hasn't registered that. Since we effectively see much of the story from Morse's point of view, that would make sense.

The scene in the shop was slightly surprising, since I suspect a salesman in a typical 60s furniture store would, at the very least, have raised an eyebrow at the two of them. And he may well not simply have assumed that they were a couple. But then, as some have said, perhaps people like that were more broad-minded in Oxford.
  • pinot_noirpinot_noir Posts: 808
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    saralund wrote: »
    If they wanted to avoid the issue and just have family entertainment, they could have made the nurse white. By choosing to make the character be black, and not including any racist issues in the script, they were deliberately painting a picture of tolerance and racial integration. This IS airbrushing history, and the fact that it's happening in family entertainment makes it more dangerous rather than less.

We don't see all of the nurse's life though. I'm sure she gets hassle from some patients and maybe colleagues etc in the hospital. However, Oxford had admitted students from other parts of the 'Empire' since at least the 1870s so she's not likely to have problems in pubs in student areas as she might in other places.

I've got mixed race ancestry from generations back. If my black and mixed race ancestors hadn't courted and married white people I wouldn't be here.
  • Summer BreezeSummer Breeze Posts: 4,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have just realised that Inspector Thursday was in Game Of Thrones series one, he had a funny little two plaited beard thing going on.
  • Summer BreezeSummer Breeze Posts: 4,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pinot_noir wrote: »
    We don't see all of the nurse's life though. I'm sure she gets hassle from some patients and maybe colleagues etc in the hospital. However, Oxford had admitted students from other parts of the 'Empire' since at least the 1870s so she's not likely to have problems in pubs in student areas as she might in other places.

I've got mixed race ancestry from generations back. If my black and mixed race ancestors hadn't courted and married white people I wouldn't be here.

Good post, and good user name too!
  • saralundsaralund Posts: 3,377
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have just realised that Inspector Thursday was in Game Of Thrones series one, he had a funny little two plaited beard thing going on.

Yes, the beard made him look like a comedy turn. He must have thanked them for that!
  • The WulfrunianThe Wulfrunian Posts: 1,312
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    saralund wrote: »
    This IS airbrushing history, and the fact that it's happening in family entertainment makes it more dangerous rather than less.

Do you actually believe what you're writing?
  • Bryant N MayBryant N May Posts: 597
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A bit late but, like some previous posters, I cannot buy the fact that the piano tuner tuned the pianos of all the murder victims just before they were killed, not to mention that he was walking past the shop window when the other murder occurred. Very poor writing in an otherwise brilliant programme.

I have a feeling the race issue will come out if Morse's relationship with the nurse becomes known to Bright.
  • LillithLillith Posts: 946
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I still want to now what turned Morse into a bitter and twisted alcoholic misanthrope. In Endeavour he is a harmless gauche slightly neurotic young man so something dreadful must have happened to change him.

This does not bode well for the lovely nurse. I don't think she will be getting much wear out of her new mattress.
  • Leicester_HunkLeicester_Hunk Posts: 18,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Anyone else spot Colin Dexter on the bus?

Yes me, because I was trying to work out if the blind man was him. He looked more like Ian Dury (the blind man) than anything!
  • Leicester_HunkLeicester_Hunk Posts: 18,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree. And to be fair if I was Morse and the nurse was my neighbour I'd be chatting her up too!!! :D

She's very good looking. I've never seen her before but I think she is very cute
  • Janet_WebsterJanet_Webster Posts: 18
    Forum Member
    I don't think you should read too much into the casting of the nurse other than the need to have an ethnic face to satisfy modern mores (vide the casting in Robin Hood) .

A black policeman in 1960s Oxford would be ridiculous and any black people living in the area at the time would not be established pillars of the community. So if you're a scriptwriter a nurse does nicely.

The set-up is very unlikely but not beyond the realms of possibility. And it ticks a big box.
  • LordBobbinLordBobbin Posts: 359
    Forum Member
    Lillith wrote: »
    I still want to now what turned Morse into a bitter and twisted alcoholic misanthrope. In Endeavour he is a harmless gauche slightly neurotic young man so something dreadful must have happened to change him.

This does not bode well for the lovely nurse. I don't think she will be getting much wear out of her new mattress.

You might well be right that we see some awful event triggering a decline. However, speaking from personal experience here, I don't find it hard at all to believe that the Morse we currently see could simply develop over time into the misanthropic figure of the later stories. There wouldn't necessarily need to be a big tragic event involved. (Although, from a 'dramatic' point of view, it makes total sense that the writers would want to include one or two.)

Morse isn't somebody who really relates to people on a normal basis. He's socially awkward, and, even at this stage, he's often found wanting when it comes to making emotional connections with other people.

He's young at the moment, and still at that age when people (eg, Thursday's daughter) are taking an interest in him. As he gets older, he'll experience less of that, and probably fewer people will make an effort to involve him in social things. That'll serve to make him feel more and more isolated, and his inability to 'understand' humans will lead to a belief that he's not quite of this world...

At some point, I imagine he'll decide that he might be better off without humans and their emotional baggage. By the time he's into middle age, that might well have turned into a hatred of, or at least an apathy towards other people, and the way they interfere with his existence.

All seems pretty plausible to me!
  • VetinariVetinari Posts: 3,336
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lillith wrote: »

Morse was not an alcoholic.

True he drank a fair bit but isn't the same thing at all.

I also don't think he was misanthropic. He was just tetchy and didn't suffer fools gladly.
  • China GirlChina Girl Posts: 2,747
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I admit I have never watched an episode of Morse, so know nothing of the man he became. I'm loving Endeavour though, maybe because it's set in the 60s, and Shaun Evans is very watchable.
    Has he been in anything else?
  • meechyemoomeechyemoo Posts: 659
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The last weekend, which was very good.
  • the_lostprophetthe_lostprophet Posts: 4,173
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    China Girl wrote: »
    Has he been in anything else?

Yep - a fair bit over the years. Teachers (from back in the day), Ashes to Ashes, Whitechapel, Silk, The Last Weekend. Here's his IMDB:

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1140345/

He's actually from Liverpool. When I first heard him in the Endeavour role I knew he wasn't really from the south; could detect some kind of Midlands/northern accent so Googled him and was right. You can hear the Liverpool lilting cadence although he does a good job of nearly hiding it.

Here he is in Teachers with his natural Liverpool accent - he's in the scene from the beginning and also at 2:40: "Every'ing arrright?" :D : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cj5Yyb5qdAs
  • China GirlChina Girl Posts: 2,747
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thank you for the info.
  • allie4allie4 Posts: 11,994
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Very good story last ep. I actually prefer these to the original Morse. He was just too cantankerous for me - though most of the storylines were very interesting.
  • Gill PGill P Posts: 21,569
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    allie4 wrote: »
    Very good story last ep. I actually prefer these to the original Morse. He was just too cantankerous for me - though most of the storylines were very interesting.

This is my feeling too. I used to like it at the beginning but he got too stroppy, especially with poor Lewis!
  • wuffleswuffles Posts: 45,734
    Forum Member
    Anyone watching tonight's? It looks like Morse is planning to propose to the nurse from next door.
  • millysshawmillysshaw Posts: 2,455
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't remember Inspector Chard from Morse Series.. Oh no that lad. two deaths already only half hour gone.
  • wuffleswuffles Posts: 45,734
    Forum Member
    I'm sure that's Spider Nugent from Corrie!
  • shandersshanders Posts: 5,907
    Forum Member
    What's this prisoner from. He looks familiar.
  • millysshawmillysshaw Posts: 2,455
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wuffles wrote: »

It is. Toyah's boyfriend.
  • shandersshanders Posts: 5,907
    Forum Member
    wuffles wrote: »

Thanks! It would've bugged me all through the rest of the episode!