Options

BSkyB and BT win live Premier League TV rights from 2013 to 2016 (Part 2)

Comments

• Options
    DragonQDragonQ Posts: 4,807
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mark. wrote: »
    It would still have needed a play-off, though, as would all meaningful places - including the exact Europa league spot in seasons when 6th (and 7th) get a place.
    Unless they went with the head-to-head thing, in which case Chelsea would've finished 3rd due to winning both of their matches against Arsenal.
  • Options
    Mark.Mark. Posts: 84,922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DragonQ wrote: »
    Unless they went with the head-to-head thing, in which case Chelsea would've finished 3rd due to winning both of their matches against Arsenal.
    They don't, though. Rule C.17:
    If at the end of the Season either the League Champions or the Clubs to be relegated or the question of qualification for other competitions cannot be determined because 2 or more Clubs are equal on points, goal difference and goals scored, the Clubs concerned shall play off one or more deciding League Matches on neutral grounds, the format, timing and venue of which shall be determined by the Board.
  • Options
    bwfcolbwfcol Posts: 13,696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sky's Saturday Night Football has just got potentially, a lot more interesting!
  • Options
    eljmayeseljmayes Posts: 1,096
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Interesting to see how Sky treat the race for the Champions League places next year- will they focus more on the relegation battle throughout the season?
  • Options
    charlieparrcharlieparr Posts: 2,978
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    eljmayes wrote: »
    Interesting to see how Sky treat the race for the Champions League places next year- will they focus more on the relegation battle throughout the season?

Probably not for the actual live football, but almost certainly for the magazine shows.

Anyone who has seen the Rugby Club this year would be forgiven for thinking that there was no such competition as the Aviva Premiership :o
  • Options
    wolvesdavidwolvesdavid Posts: 10,907
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Premier League had already accounced a playoff between Chelsea and Arsenal at Villa Park is needed. The Premier League do not use head to head record, or away goals. Infact rule C17 has already been clearly posted, and the Premier League are not going to make a new rule up part way through the season.
  • Options
    Steveaustin316Steveaustin316 Posts: 15,779
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Premier League had already accounced a playoff between Chelsea and Arsenal at Villa Park is needed. The Premier League do not use head to head record, or away goals. Infact rule C17 has already been clearly posted, and the Premier League are not going to make a new rule up part way through the season.

No, but they could put in that rule for future seasons just in case a similar scenario cones up again.
  • Options
    BenFranklinBenFranklin Posts: 5,814
    Forum Member
    http://www.statto.com/football/stats/england/premier-league/1995-1996/table/1996-04-28

as this shows, both teams were incredibly close so late into the season.
  • Options
    Zac QuinnZac Quinn Posts: 5,172
    Forum Member
    Sky's already unmissable set of live PL fixtures this weekend looks like it's just got even bigger..
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, but they could put in that rule for future seasons just in case a similar scenario cones up again.
    The potential scenario has come up twice (at least). And twice they haven't put in a head-to-head rule.

Go figure.
  • Options
    Steveaustin316Steveaustin316 Posts: 15,779
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The potential scenario has come up twice (at least). And twice they haven't put in a head-to-head rule.

Go figure.

I don't see why they couldn't do it. It would be a lot easier than organising a playoff at short notice.
  • Options
    bwfcolbwfcol Posts: 13,696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They can't change the rules for these sorts of things halfway through a season. It's not allowed.

A playoff would of course create extra revenue etc.....
  • Options
    ReadingfanReadingfan Posts: 10,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't see why they couldn't do it. It would be a lot easier than organising a playoff at short notice.

Obviously in between seasons they could if they wished. But football is all about drama. If it is that close between the two after 38 games I'd far rather they had a playoff rather than go back to a match played in September - and what else is a playoff if it's not a head to head?! I liked the alphabetical suggestion though - maybe Arsenal's best chance of ever winning anything!!
  • Options
    mlt11mlt11 Posts: 21,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The same would apply if two or all three teams in the relegation places finished level. I'd imagine that would also extend to 2nd/3rd, since they both enter at the same stage of the Champions League

Note that one half of the CL country pool prize money distribution is a fixed split of:

1st 40%
    2nd 30%
    3rd 15%
    4th 15%

So the difference between 2nd and 3rd is worth a few million in CL prize money - obviously for the following season.

Before anyone asks if the 4th loses in the CL play-off they get zero - and the country pool split becomes 45/35/20.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Given the financial criticisms levied at the Premier League, something tells me they'd be reluctant to stage a play-off whose sole intention would be to determine who gets more money!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DragonQ wrote: »
    Yes if Chelsea drew 0-0 on the final day and Arsenal won 2-1 they'd have both had 73 points, 73 GF, and 38 GA. Wouldn't have been hugely important though as the only difference between 3rd and 4th is which round of the Champions League they enter.

Automatic qualification to the champions league is quite important.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Given the financial criticisms levied at the Premier League, something tells me they'd be reluctant to stage a play-off whose sole intention would be to determine who gets more money!

Indeed - fair point - I was only mentioning it in passing - I imagine they would just have a word with UEFA and suggest that both got 22.5%.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A playoff is surely more fun for fans and neutrals. The only minor concern would be when would they do it, especially on years with international tournaments. What if three teams ended on the same points, GD and GF? A mini tournament would take at least a full week.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Getting back towards the match selections, we know now that Manchester United will not be in the champions league, that has now being confirmed mathematically.

In terms of the Europa League it will either be:

Hull (FA Cup winners)
    5th
    6th

or:

Arsenal (FA Cup winners)
    6th
    7th

or:

5th
    Hull (FA Cup runners up)
    6th
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Automatic qualification to the champions league is quite important.

Indeed - especially if you aren't seeded.

One point not mentioned much this season is that if Liverpool had finished 4th they almost certainly wouldn't have been seeded - which would have meant a significant chance of not making it.

Of course Everton wouldn't be seeded. Arsenal obviously would be.
  • Options
    Stereophonic83Stereophonic83 Posts: 501
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Zac Quinn wrote: »
    Sky's already unmissable set of live PL fixtures this weekend looks like it's just got even bigger..

Guess you mean with the news about the potential Moyes sacking?

On paper Norwich shouldn't have a chance of a result at OT but the way things have panned out for Moyes/Utd especially in home games you really would be surprised.

By looks of things, Moyes won't be in charge on Saturday. If he is the atmosphere will be rather subdued and will definitely play into Norwich's hands.
  • Options
    batdude_uk1batdude_uk1 Posts: 78,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I bet you when they selected this Man Utd v Norwich fixture, they were not expecting it to be the most high profile one of the weekend!
  • Options
    BenFranklinBenFranklin Posts: 5,814
    Forum Member
    Liverpool vs Chelsea is obviously the most high profile game of the weekend.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Liverpool vs Chelsea is obviously the most high profile game of the weekend.
    Indeed. Norwich will probably feel they have a decent chance of getting something from United though. Could be significant at the bottom because I feel as if a few clubs' only hope is that Norwich don't pick up any more points.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I bet you when they selected this Man Utd v Norwich fixture, they were not expecting it to be the most high profile one of the weekend!

Erm. It isn't. :confused::confused::confused: