Options

Official Snooker Thread (Part 6)

Comments

• Options
    BarracuteBarracute Posts: 243,330
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    zawtowers wrote: »
    Back from Sheffield after two lengthy sessions of snooker, both on Table Two.

First up was Judd Trump v Tom Ford. Both players struggled for form but Judd didn't even make a pot till well into the third frame, and he really just didn't perform to a standard that he is capable of. Apparently he'd complained post-match that Tom was playing pretty slowly and thinking a lot over his shots, but at the same time, you just have to go out there and do your own thing and forget the other player to a degree.

When Judd nicked the final frame of the first half of the session to go 7-5 I think he'd have been relieved, and going 8-6 up must have made him think he was home and dry. Tom did battle well to 8-8 but there were some crucial misses in the 17th frame which let Judd in. The 18th frame was equally as scrappy, yet compelling viewing to see them fight it out to get over the line. As that final frame finished around 2pm, they definitely would have had to come back this evening if it was 9-9 instead.

I grabbed a very quick lunch and flukily managed to see Tom Ford leaving (he was gutted but said that both of them didn't play at all well) before heading back into the Crucible for the afternoon where I heard Rob Walker announce that the WCs were staying at the Crucible. Having now read the rest of the Barry Hearn press conference transcript, looked like he made a lot of fuss over the format when in fact the format at the Crucible end isn't changing (I'll comment more on the rest of that later).

Neil Robertson looked in impressive form, and his two centuries were compiled with class and style. In fact in two other frames he made two breaks over 50 in each of them, adding to his overall quality. One scrappy frame (the third) was a massive 46 minutes long though, which ate into the time considerably. In fact due to that and the final frame being over half an hour, they only just about got all nine frames in, and even then it was 6.40pm when I left the Crucible, so quickly walked around to see if I could see anyone (did see Robbie Williams) and then headed home.

They did show the BBC2 broadcast inside the Crucible before going to Rob Walker in the afternoon and Richard Osman from Pointless was in Winter Gardens. In fact he had been at the Judd Trump game in the morning, sat in the booth where the press photographers are (for those of you who've been to the Crucible, these are underneath and to the left/right of the TV commentary booths) and looked on watching a few frames from there. That also tied in nicely with the questions we were answering during the week (as the 100 people asked for future Pointless questions!!)

One thing which annoyed me a lot today: there were four blokes who were sat in the back row for Judd Trump and on the row behind me for Robbo. They were mumbling and chatting to themselves almost the whole time, and despite various gestures from me and others with fingers held to lips (ie: shut up!) they were still mumbling on. I'm surprised Michaela didn't put her stern face on in the morning and have them kicked out. The woman sat next to me this afternoon was just as peeved as I was and in between frames very quietly whispered to me "they're a bunch of idiots.." - she was right too.

Back tomorrow for one last time - Mark Davis v Dominic Dale, with Mark Selby v Ali Carter ont he other table if (big if!) my match finishes early...

I can imagine how annoying that must be when people yak on and wont shut up, it was a wonder the ref didnt have them turfed out !
  • Options
    zawtowerszawtowers Posts: 1,455
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    I'm surprised at the amount of times the refs have to say "quietly please" or ask for phones to be turned off.

It's a knowledgeable crowd at the crucible and they must know the etiquette.

You'd be surprised how many of them don't (see my earlier post about the four idiots sat behind me).

I know the etiquette, and put phone on silent, and switch it off (so if it does go back on by accident it won't make a noise) and keep silent during play, bar the applause for a good shot or a general "oooh" from the crowd if a shot doesn't quite work.

Someone this afternoon in the front row in an orange top had his phone go off twice in two frames. Really he should have been asked to leave, but thankfully he did so after the end of that frame anyway..
  • Options
    big macbig mac Posts: 4,583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It isn't and that's what the quote says.

It should be, though. As has been said earlier in the thread, there are exibition tournaments for veteran players that aren't part of the official circuit. There is still a demand from the public to see the former world champions, so if they want to see them they can do at those events. The World Championship should be exclusively for the current best players.
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    I watched that last week and the segments seem more like they're suited to be shown in the intervals of matches, similar to what the beeb do.
    I see Eurosport are doing this.
    They're showing Ronnie's interview with Robertson in the Allen/Holt mid-session interval.
  • Options
    Darren LethemDarren Lethem Posts: 61,694
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    big mac wrote: »
    It should be, though. As has been said earlier in the thread, there are exibition tournaments for veteran players that aren't part of the official circuit. There is still a demand from the public to see the former world champions, so if they want to see them they can do at those events. The World Championship should be exclusively for the current best players.

And the current best players will always be there. If anybody thinks we will see messers Reardon, Johnson, Davis and Parrott playing at the Crucible in the Worlds again then they need their bumps felt. They will be entering at round 1 of the qualifiers along with 120 plus others. Be nice for the crowd at Ponds Forge to see some of these players too.
  • Options
    zawtowerszawtowers Posts: 1,455
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some pics from today added to my World Championship 2014 set. Not that many because of two marathon sessions, but still managed to get Neil and Judd!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/zawtowers/sets/72157644096080706/
  • Options
    tvqueen1905tvqueen1905 Posts: 82,843
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dales shoes:eek:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Allen wins 10-4, didnt expect him to win all the frames tonight after being 5-4 after the first sesssion!

So anyone predict Dominic to have the biggest win? currently 5-1 up !
  • Options
    Forum Member
    but at least he's sorted his hair out :p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Barracute wrote: »
    Allen wins 10-4, didnt expect him to win all the frames tonight after being 5-4 after the first sesssion!

Holt will be wondering the the hell happened tonight. It basically all went wrong.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    zawtowers wrote: »
    Some pics from today added to my World Championship 2014 set. Not that many because of two marathon sessions, but still managed to get Neil and Judd!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/zawtowers/sets/72157644096080706/

Thanks as always !
  • Options
    dtcdtcdtcdtcdtcdtc Posts: 16,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Barracute wrote: »

I had Mark Davis..:o:blush:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Holt will be wondering the the hell happened tonight. It basically all went wrong.

It always seems to go wrong for him in Sheffield !
  • Options
    tvqueen1905tvqueen1905 Posts: 82,843
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    but at least he's sorted his hair out :p

what was it previously

hear he wanted pink hair but decided black was worth more
  • Options
    Forum Member
    what was it previously

hear he wanted pink hair but decided black was worth more
    He did have pink hair a couple of weeks back. Someone posted a pic of him at a tournament sporting it.
  • Options
    linnyloulinnylou Posts: 18,770
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Snazzy aren't they :D. And I'm sure he had blonde hair when he was commentating at the Welsh Open recently!

BTW does anyone know what the music accompanying the Crucible in Numbers segment is? I've tweeted BBC and WS asking them but had no replies.
    It sounds like Daft Punk/Nile Rodgers ( I'm Youtubing as well to try and find it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

He was beating himself up about the way he was playing, even making a sarcastic comment to the audience about it. I think he said something like "good stuff, isn't it?". That was when the score was about 6-4, and Allen just ran away with it after that.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    He wasn't running very quickly and had a few stumbles along the way :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    linnylou wrote: »

BTW does anyone know what the music accompanying the Crucible in Numbers segment is? I've tweeted BBC and WS asking them but had no replies.
    It sounds like Daft Punk/Nile Rodgers ( I'm Youtubing as well to try and find it.

If it's the one I think you're referring to, then it's Jealous by Chromeo.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If it's the one I think you're referring to, then it's Jealous by Chromeo.

Yep that's it, just checked it out on YT. Thanks so much for putting me out of my misery! :cool:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    linnylou wrote: »
    Yep that's it, just checked it out on YT. Thanks so much for putting me out of my misery! :cool:

Aye, no problem. It's a decent tune. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Aye, no problem. It's a decent tune. :)

Yeah, I've not heard the song before, but just love the hook they've taken from it for that statistics segment.
  • Options
    dtcdtcdtcdtcdtcdtc Posts: 16,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The snooker reporter on the radio just said that Mark Allen was in a NHS drop in centre this afternoon after eating a dodgy burger and that he struggled to see the balls properly in this evenings session
  • Options
    deivu74deivu74 Posts: 3,001
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dominic always brings a smile to my face. I love his eccentricity.
  • Options
    mw1mw1 Posts: 3,453
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does the Davis v Dale match have to finish tonight?? Judging from what I've seen I fear it'll be a past midnight finish at the crucible!!
This discussion has been closed.