Mark Duggan ~ the guy shot by police

Comments

• anais32anais32 Posts: 12,963
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If he was lying, then his mistake wasn't honest. The jury clearly didn't think he was lying. There is no proof he was lying, so what are the Appeal Judges going to do?

We'll see.

The issue is the nature of the proof required. It should have been made clear to the jury that they can accept he was being purposefully untruthful on the balance of probabilities.

Given not a single word he uttered could have been true, I'd say this is significant.

And I believe you WERE one of the people who misunderstood what was meant by 'permission for judicial review'.
  • Deep PurpleDeep Purple Posts: 63,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    anais32 wrote: »
    We'll see.

The issue is the nature of the proof required. It should have been made clear to the jury that they can accept he was being purposefully untruthful on the balance of probabilities.

Given not a single word he uttered could have been true, I'd say this is significant.

And I believe you WERE one of the people who misunderstood what was meant by 'permission for judicial review'.

I believe you are an anti authority figure who makes ridiculous claims, without proof, against anyone you don't like, yet you'll defend to the hilt a gun carrying criminal, and write him off as a bit of a rogue who didn't know what he was doing, despite the evidence of his connections, and backgrounds.

I wonder if you spend your time in your academic prison world stirring things up. What exactly is an academic role in prison anyway?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,419
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We'll see.

But that doesn't mean that the Jury would have agreed with it. It is far more likely that they already considered that in any case, hence the conclusion that they reached.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    1MJ1 wrote: »
    But that doesn't mean that the Jury would have agreed with it. It is far more likely that they already considered that in any case, hence the conclusion that they reached.

It seems pretty obvious that if they'd believed he was lying, they would not have given the lawful killing verdict. If they had any doubts, there was an Open verdict available for such situations.
  • skp20040skp20040 Posts: 66,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We'll see.

Were you so candid about whose side you actually appear to be on when it comes to the law and criminals ( sorry victims ) when you got your job ? because on this thread it is all too clear
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    skp20040 wrote: »
    Were you so candid about whose side you actually appear to be on when it comes to the law and criminals ( sorry victims ) when you got your job ? because on this thread it is all too clear

Quite worrying isn't it. I cant imagine a sense of balance being present with such anti establishment views.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I've said something no-one has disagreed with.

That none of V53's statement can be true. I'm not even sure saying that is controversial.

As for 'sides', that's for silly people who have very infantile concepts of 'good' -vs- 'bad' like some kind of Star Wars movie.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Quite worrying isn't it. I cant imagine a sense of balance being present with such anti establishment views.

And I could equally say it's quite worrying that you won't even countenance the possibility that V53 lied.

Disturbing in fact. Because it is precisely this attitude that has allowed so many abuses in the past.
  • RasFasRasFas Posts: 871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And to most normal people a mistake is honest, as after all if the mistake was deliberate then it is not a mistake or honest .

What do you call it if I make a mistake, I know I made a mistake and I tell you that I didn't?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I believe you are an anti authority figure who makes ridiculous claims, without proof, against anyone you don't like, yet you'll defend to the hilt a gun carrying criminal, and write him off as a bit of a rogue who didn't know what he was doing, despite the evidence of his connections, and backgrounds.

I wonder if you spend your time in your academic prison world stirring things up. What exactly is an academic role in prison anyway?

I've not 'defended' anyone or spoken of Duggan in these terms. That is more dishonesty.

As for 'academic role', I don't sit in prisons being an academic. My research brings me into prisons sometimes. My current research is actually focused on offender risk assessments and their validity within certain contexts. So not as sexy or interesting as people might think.
  • Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    1MJ1 wrote: »
    And here I thought the limited application for JR was granted because of a misdirection by the Coronor and absolutely noting to do with whether V53 lied or not. Why else is the family re-applying on the other points that they raised?

Personally, I thought the application was granted because somebody was worried that a bunch of yobs would start setting fire to shit again if lovely ol' antie Carole started whining about how they were being mistreated by da' man.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It seems pretty obvious that if they'd believed he was lying, they would not have given the lawful killing verdict. If they had any doubts, there was an Open verdict available for such situations.

Nail firmly on head.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What's frightening is that the likes of you could be on a Jury, and make up your own story from what isn't evidence.

Isn't that exactly what the jury did?
    Forum Member
    As for 'academic role', I don't sit in prisons being an academic. My research brings me into prisons sometimes. My current research is actually focused on offender risk assessments and their validity within certain contexts. So not as sexy or interesting as people might think.

Can I ask who you actually work for?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RasFas wrote: »
    Isn't that exactly what the jury did?

And exactly what you've been doing on this topic.

Talking about evidence... police removing the gun from the taxi?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Si_Crewe wrote: »
    Can I ask who you actually work for?

My main employer is a university (and no, I'm not telling you which one) but the research I am currently doing has been commissioned by NOMS.

Why my employment status is of relevance, I don't know.

I should say though that I have MoJ clearance for contact with exceptionally high risk prisoners in maximum security settings.

And I will also say that nothing I say online is privileged. All opinions are my own.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    RasFas wrote: »
    What do you call it if I make a mistake, I know I made a mistake and I tell you that I didn't?

If you know you made a mistake and said you didn't then you would be lieing, if you made a mistake but honestly believed you didn't then you wouldn't be lieing but mistaken.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My main employer is a university (and no, I'm not telling you which one) but the research I am currently doing has been commissioned by NOMS.

I should say though that I have MoJ clearance for contact with exceptionally high risk prisoners in maximum security settings.

And I will also say that nothing I say online is privileged. All opinions are my own.

I suppose the MoJ can be thankful for that at least if not worried.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I suppose the MoJ can be thankful for that at least if not worried.

They aren't remotely 'worried'. Criminologists are a people with a fairly wide range of views and it would be stupid and intellectually redundant to make sure you pick a certain 'type' when you ask for research on a certain topic.

It's basically saying to someone, 'these are the results I want you to 'discover' - make sure that is what your research shows'.

My specialities are risk management within the penal system (looking at the efficacy of various modelling tools) and juvenile justice.

It's quite specific so I'm perfectly at liberty to hold whatever views of the police I like - they barely feature in my research.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you know you made a mistake and said you didn't then you would be lieing, if you made a mistake but honestly believed you didn't then you wouldn't be lieing but mistaken.

Good. Now, what if you knew I was lying, but you also believed the mistake I made was reasonable?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    el_bardos wrote: »
    Yeah, we all thought it was sexy and interesting till you said that...

Sarcasm aside, it is amazing how many people assume I spend my time in Category A prisons having tea with serial killers rather than ploughing my way through risk scores and statistics on recidivism.

(And 'sexy' of course was meant in a mocking fashion - clearly lost on you).
    Forum Member

You may not have realised but sometimes people on the internet tend to exaggerate a bit.

I mean, somebody could be self-published author, working out of their spare bedroom who writes anti-establishment junk for extremist websites and claims to be an "academic working in the field of criminal psychology" because they think it'll give them credibility.

Course, beyond that you get people who just flat-out make shit up if they think it'll serve a similar purpose as well.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You may not have realised but sometimes people on the internet tend to exaggerate a bit.

I mean, somebody could be self-published author, working out of their spare bedroom who writes anti-establishment junk for extremist websites and claims to be an "academic working in the field of criminal psychology" because they think it'll give them credibility.

Course, beyond that you get people who just flat-out make shit up if they think it'll serve a similar purpose as well.

You see that's just coming across as quite desperate on your part.

(I have nothing to do with 'criminal psychology' by the way - so bad luck there).
    Forum Member
    You see that's just coming across as quite desperate on your part.

(I have nothing to do with 'criminal psychology' by the way - so bad luck there).

Bit defensive there.

Surely you didn't think I was implying anything about you? :o
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bit defensive there.

Surely you didn't think I was implying anything about you? :o

Not really defensive - an observation.

I think it perfectly obvious what your implication was and I'll repeat - it is desperate. And a bit immature.