London Live - Not 24 hours

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 416
Forum Member
Did'nt think it would take this short time for the P1ss poor tv channel London Live to start 'dropping balls'.

Switched on on after work on Thursday at 3am, and all there was showing, a slide "see you at 6am for Wake up London"

Thought it was meant to be a 24 hour channel for a 24 hour city?

Comments

• RadiomikeRadiomike Posts: 7,947
    Forum Member
    Did'nt think it would take this short time for the P1ss poor tv channel London Live to start 'dropping balls'.

Switched on on after work on Thursday at 3am, and all there was showing, a slide "see you at 6am for Wake up London"

Yes. They need to change their strapline to:-

The first 21 hr TV channel dedicated to the capital.

:D
  • Mark CMark C Posts: 20,911
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Have you calculated the cost of running a fully funded, reactive news channel 24 hours a day ? Not even Sky or the BBC can afford it, their overnight hours are padded out with repeats and shared content, and just how many newsworthy events regularly occur in the middle of the night in London ?.

The channel has ideas far too ambitious for the resources available, it'll be a shopping/soft p0rn channel before Christmas I suspect, or (being optimistic) it'll
    share a lot of programming with the other local stations around the UK .
  • tomeetomee Posts: 2,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mark C wrote: »
    Have you calculated the cost of running a fully funded, reactive news channel 24 hours a day ? Not even Sky or the BBC can afford it, their overnight hours are padded out with repeats and shared content, and just how many newsworthy events regularly occur in the middle of the night in London ?.

London live is not a news channel.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tomee wrote: »
    London live is not a news channel.

I never said it was ?
  • kasgkasg Posts: 4,720
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have you calculated the cost of running a fully funded, reactive news channel 24 hours a day ?
    I never said it was ?
    Looks like you did to me.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kasg wrote: »
    Looks like you did to me.

Please explain ?

I was pointing out the expense of running a 24 hour news channel, NOT declaring that London Live was, or has any aspirations to be, and it certainly can't afford to be one.!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Please explain ?

I was pointing out the expense of running a 24 hour news channel, NOT declaring that London Live was, or has any aspirations to be, and it certainly can't afford to be one.!

That all very well but what does that have to do with London live.:confused:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tomee wrote: »
    That all very well but what does that have to do with London live.:confused:

Ah, well, that's probably because I interrupted the OP's question as why is London Live not a 24 hr news channel, which I do readily admit (having reread it), he didn't really ask :blush:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ah, well, that's probably because I interrupted the OP's question as why is London Live not a 24 hr news channel, which I do readily admit (having reread it), he didn't really ask :blush:

That ok we all make mistakes.:)
  • tghe-retfordtghe-retford Posts: 26,449
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Three weeks on-air and in a city of 8.3 million people and a prominent position on the Freeview EPG, viewing figures at best in the thousands:

http://www.theguardian.com/media/greenslade/2014/apr/24/london-live-tvratings

I fear another case of deja-vu just like with the RSL stations, all of them failed although one or two of them gave it a good run. Unless things pick up substantially soon, it shall forever be known as Jeremy 'Hunt's folly'.
  • hyperstarspongehyperstarsponge Posts: 16,696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Teleshopping could work.
  • kevkev Posts: 21,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Three weeks on-air and in a city of 8.3 million people and a prominent position on the Freeview EPG, viewing figures at best in the thousands.

It might have a prominent position but only for those who've bothered to retune since launch, and the Croydon transmitter isn't on air yet to boost reception in the south of the capital, I'm surprised a promotion slate on either 8 or 791 isn't added when each local multiplex is launched to maximise the number of stbs these channels are on by launch.

http://quixoticquisling.com/2010/01/can-we-trust-barbs-viewing-figures-for-sgorio-on-s4c/ illustrates the problems of barb and small scale stations too.