Options

No Surprises anymore

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,175
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I am wondering if I am the only one getting annoyed at the constant ruining of suspense of TV programmes/ soaps.

I have gotten used to switching off the end of programmes quickly so Iavoid the this is what is coming next time (Apprentice being a good example) as I want to watch the programme and be surprised.

My biggest annoyance at the moment is with E4 - I have watched ER since the beginning, I have heard bits and pieces about old characters etc coming back but I do try to avoid it being ruined. I watched desperate housewives at the weekend and before I could get to the remote to turn the programme over the events that happen in the next couple of weeks have already been ruined !!!
I know some people do like to know what is happening but it seems you can't watch or read anything these days without spoilers.
I want a little bit of surpriseand suspense PLEASE !!!

Am I the only one

Comments

• Options
    Brummie Girl Brummie Girl Posts: 22,852
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree, especially with soaps. You walk into a newsagents or supermarkets and there are characters on the front of magazines with something written underneath about a major storyline affecting that character. Also in these forums people do put certain storylines in spoilers so you can't read them at first glance which is great but then when you read further down someone responds to that spoiler which completley defeats the object and you end up finding out what that spoiler was anyway.

I don't mind the "coming up in next weeks show" that you get on the end of programmes as they don't reveal too much they just give you a little teaser.
  • Options
    Agent FAgent F Posts: 40,288
    Forum Member
    I agree with this. TPTB seem to think it's a way of promoting the show and encouraging people to watch, but it puts me off - I like to be surprised, not aware of what's going to happen months in advance. Soaps are notoriously bad for this - and I struggle to understand how viewers derive enjoyment from knowing detailed plots in advance of their screening.

I actively try to avoid spoilers but they seem to be everywhere these days - even this very website saw fit to spoil last night's Desperate Housewives before the episode had aired, displeasing quite a few people.
  • Options
    BBTweetsBBTweets Posts: 12,699
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I stopped watching all the soaps over 10 years ago because TV mags ruined the surprises. I didn't mind a brief synopsis of what was happening but these days you get the whole week's worth of plotlines including pics. I still know what's going on in most of the soaps without ever having watched one in 10 years too.

I can remember when they never gave any synopsis at all :D
  • Options
    Blake ConnollyBlake Connolly Posts: 9,509
    Forum Member
    I'm glad I'm not someone who likes soaps. It must be so annoying.

There are spoilers out there for the sort of shows I like to watch, but they're easily avoided most of the time and some of my favourite moments in shows like Lost or 24 would have been completely ruined by spoilers.

At least for what I watch, the only chance of being spoiled is when some idiot things it's a good idea to post unconcealed spoilers all over the forums (usually on purpose, out of spite), that's very annoying but doesn't happen very often. It'd be much worse if it was purposely done by the show's producers, who plaster newspapers and magazines with spoilers, which is what seems to happen with soaps. If I was into those sorts of programmes, it'd completely put me off watching.
  • Options
    montyburns56montyburns56 Posts: 2,011
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Candy39 wrote: »
    I am wondering if I am the only one getting annoyed at the constant ruining of suspense of TV programmes/ soaps.

I have gotten used to switching off the end of programmes quickly so Iavoid the this is what is coming next time (Apprentice being a good example) as I want to watch the programme and be surprised.

My biggest annoyance at the moment is with E4 - I have watched ER since the beginning, I have heard bits and pieces about old characters etc coming back but I do try to avoid it being ruined. I watched desperate housewives at the weekend and before I could get to the remote to turn the programme over the events that happen in the next couple of weeks have already been ruined !!!
    I know some people do like to know what is happening but it seems you can't watch or read anything these days without spoilers.
    I want a little bit of surpriseand suspense PLEASE !!!

Am I the only one

The spoiler at the end of the show would only show what was in the next episode and not in the next few weeks episodes.