Options

Justified settlement ?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,175
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I have just come across this news story and if anyone thought this was in anyway a justified claim ?
I am completely against this current suing culture so maybe I am one sided on this but from what I can gather from the story this was an accident - children fall all the time. She did not fall due to the water service cover she fell as kids do and just happened that she fell in a bad place. Also I am a little bit annoyed at the Dad having a go at the hotel as they didn't ask how his precious child was - I accept your child is important to you but why should the hotel staff.
Am I just being too cold hearted ?!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/tayside_and_central/8177921.stm

Quote "The court writ stated: "As Sheonaidh was walking she tripped, lost her footing and fell onto a protruding metal water service cover located on the grass. There was nothing to warn persons it was protruding from the grass.

"As a result of falling, Sheonaidh suffered loss, injury and damage."

Striking red hair

As a result of the fall, the three-year-old, who was described as "distressed, crying and in pain" and "bleeding profusely", was taken to casualty at Crieff Hospital.

There her wound was cleaned and paper stitches were applied.

Medical evidence submitted to the court said the child would be left scarred as a result of her accident, and that scarring would take longer to fade because of her striking red hair.

Mr Nisbet, from Kennoway in Fife, said: "We did what we felt was right and fair for our daughter. We have spent many happy times at Crieff Hydro and were saddened by their lack of concern following her injury.

"They never once enquired as to her well being. Our child is precious to us and should not be subjected to pain and injury from organisational neglect.

Comments

• Options
    adopteradopter Posts: 11,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Any parent who suggests that his daughter in adulthood may want to get plastic surgery to correct a scar on her chin needs to take a long hard look at himself.
  • Options
    NathalieRNathalieR Posts: 16,004
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hmm I don't like the sue and blame culture either but in this case it seems that maybe the payout was right. There probably should have been some sort of warning sign of the protuding water thingy because if not her, then someone else could have come along and tripped over it and injured themselves.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's just another accident. We have them all the time.

Why do we now have such a blame culture, imported from the states I suppose.
    The courts should stop handing out money for "accidents".

It's the warnings that are placed on items to avoid blame that amaze me.
    Freezer instructions in plastic bag. "This bag is not a toy" WTF does that mean.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    woodbush wrote: »
    It's just another accident. We have them all the time.

Why do we now have such a blame culture, imported from the states I suppose.
    The courts should stop handing out money for "accidents".

It's the warnings that are placed on items to avoid blame that amaze me.
    Freezer instructions in plastic bag. "This bag is not a toy" WTF does that mean.

I don't think it's imported from the States particularly.

I think society as a whole seems to more bothered about its rights than its responsibilities.

Increased litigation is just one side-effect.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    NathalieR wrote: »
    Hmm I don't like the sue and blame culture either but in this case it seems that maybe the payout was right. There probably should have been some sort of warning sign of the protuding water thingy because if not her, then someone else could have come along and tripped over it and injured themselves.

Didn't you read the post. She fell "onto" it not "tripped" by it.

Would you sue the council if you tripped on a kerb and hit your head on a garden wall/fence. Or sue the householder for having a wall/fence that could be dangerous.

The blame culture is getting to be a joke.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    adopter wrote: »
    I don't think it's imported from the States particularly.

I think society as a whole seems to more bothered about its rights than its responsibilities.

Increased litigation is just one side-effect.

But these things are just accidents. Who is to blame?.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,175
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Would you sue the council if you tripped on a kerb and hit your head on a garden wall/fence. Or sue the householder for having a wall/fence that could be dangerous.

That is what I was thinking - if she fell because of it I can see why they would claim (although I still wouldn't agree with it)but it was not because of this that she did fall.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

No one is to blame.
  • Options
    fi~fi~ Posts: 5,481
    Forum Member
    i feel its justified
    the kid might grow up feeling self concious about the scar and want surgery, least now they have the money stashed aside to pay for it
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,658
    Forum Member

A lot of people sue councils for falling over on pavements, quite possibly for tripping up on a curb.

I hate the 'blame' culture too. Accidents happen. I nearly died giving birth as I was nicked on an artery during a forceps delivery and haemorraghed, but I won't be suing the doctor/hospital because A) accidents happen even when procedures are followed correctly B) the NHS is over-stretched financially as it is, and C) I just don't agree with that horrible greedy, grasping 'oh woe is me now give me cash' attitude.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I didn't say she did trip over it :confused:

The fact is, she fell onto something that had there been a warning of its presence they might not have walked so close to it for example.

I'm not saying what I would do, although if my little girl fell onto something like that I would'nt be too impressed.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    fi~ wrote: »
    i feel its justified
    the kid might grow up feeling self concious about the scar and want surgery, least now they have the money stashed aside to pay for it

I fell off a chair when I was little and have a scar on my lip. No one was sued and no plastic surgery has been carried out.

Oh and the hospital didn't phone social services when my mum and dad brought in a baby with a bump to her head and a cut lip.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I didn't say she did trip over it :confused:

The fact is, she fell onto something that had there been a warning of its presence they might not have walked so close to it for example.

I'm not saying what I would do, although if my little girl fell onto something like that I would'nt be too impressed.

Quote:

someone else could have come along and tripped over it
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Quote:

someone else could have come along and tripped over it

What part of "someone else" don't you get?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What part of "someone else" don't you get?

Nowhere in the report does it even suggest it was a tripping hazard.:confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Quoted from the link :

The court writ stated: "As Sheonaidh was walking she tripped, lost her footing and fell onto a protruding metal water service cover located on the grass. There was nothing to warn persons it was protruding from the grass

If something is protruding, I would guess its something that could be easily tripped over.
  • Options
    gertrude hubblegertrude hubble Posts: 1,271
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When my son was 2 or 3 years old we were out walking and he ran tripped and fell (as most children do that age) and managed to gash his knee on a stone from someones front garden (they had covered their flower beds with stones/gravel and it would seem a cat maybe had scratched some onto the path. He bled profusely and had a couple of stiches. He is 13 now and still has a scar but it would never have occured to me to sue the homeowners/council for not keeping the path swept. It was an accident these things happen and no one is too blame.
  • Options
    davidmcndavidmcn Posts: 12,112
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Nobody if it's genuinely an accident, but in this case it was caused by the negligence of the hotel (in having sharp metal stuff sticking out of the ground in an area where guests are likely to walk) - hence the compensation.

£2500 for permanent facial scarring isn't exactly a huge amount anyway.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    davidmcn wrote: »
    Nobody if it's genuinely an accident, but in this case it was caused by the negligence of the hotel (in having sharp metal stuff sticking out of the ground in an area where guests are likely to walk) - hence the compensation.

£2500 for permanent facial scarring isn't exactly a huge amount anyway.

Agreed. If it was much more than that, then I would probably think that its OTT.

I just think in this one case (and like I say, I generally get annoyed at people suing left right and centre) they had a genuine case.
  • Options
    d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,531
    Forum Member
    The report is unclear. She may have tripped over the water service cover and fallen onto it (big cover, tiny child). If she didn't trip over it, a warning notice wouldn't have helped and there would have been no causal link between the lack of a notice and the injury. Unless, of course, the parents argued that they would have taken a different route had they seen a notice (but the report doesn't say that).

So as the story is written, she must have tripped over it... or something associated with it... and fallen onto it.
  • Options
    IgnazioIgnazio Posts: 18,695
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But the metal water cover was not the cause of her fall. She tripped first and subsequently suffered injury, which suggests even if a warning sign was displayed the accident would have happened. Besides could a 3 years old have read a warning sign; perhaps this is another case where parents should be responsible for a child's safety.

As for the distress and pain - what child doesn't cry when hurt: even a grazed knee induces tears.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ignazio wrote: »
    But the metal water cover was not the cause of her fall. She tripped first and subsequently suffered injury, which suggests even if a warning sign was displayed the accident would have happened. Besides could a 3 years old have read a warning sign; perhaps this is another case where parents should be responsible for a child's safety.

As for the distress and pain - what child doesn't cry when hurt: even a grazed knee induces tears.

I think the point is though, had she not landed on the metal water cover she probably wouldnt have been as badly hurt as she was. I think that if there had been some kind of warning sign the family might have taken more care in that area or avoided it altogether.

I understand wht you mean re children crying when hurt but in this case, it did seemed like a nasty injury resulting in permanent facial scarring.

I just think, not even for with this accident, its a bit irresponsible of the owners not having a sign because, although the girl in this instance didn't trip on it, other people could have, it sounds like a bit of a hazard/accident waiting to happen. Anything randomly produding from the ground is IMO.
  • Options
    sadoldbirdsadoldbird Posts: 9,626
    Forum Member
    The problem with the 'blame culture' is the damage it does psychologically. You may get a few quid out of it but there is a more insidious damage.

Something bad happened to me? So what's in it for me?

Instead of coming to terms with life's ups and downs, you see yourself as a victim. That victim status is confirmed when you get compensation.

The compensation culture may make some people a little bit of money, but I'm far from sure it will do them good in the long run.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sadoldbird wrote: »
    The problem with the 'blame culture' is the damage it does psychologically. You may get a few quid out of it but there is a more insidious damage.

Something bad happened to me? So what's in it for me?

Instead of coming to terms with life's ups and downs, you see yourself as a victim. That victim status is confirmed when you get compensation.

The compensation culture may make some people a little bit of money, but I'm far from sure it will do them good in the long run.

Although I agree with the settlement in this case, I agree with you. Its because every other ad on the telly is one of those lawsuit claim ones, a la "Had an accident that wasn't your fault"?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ignazio wrote: »

Had there been a sign or even a fence around such protrusion and the girl tripped she could have smacked her face into said fence.

What would have happened if she tripped and hit the warning notice.

If she tripped and just hit the ground, cut her chin, would the hotel still be liable for having hard grass.

Just the current claim culture, someone has to be at fault.

The parents of course are blameless.