Foxes

DarthchaffinchDarthchaffinch Posts: 7,558
Forum Member
Last week a fox killed 1 of our chickens; this morning one got into out greenhouse (lined fully with slabs) via we think a 4 inch gap at the top of one of the windows and bit the heads of our 2 rabbits :mad: My wife found them and is unbelievably upset.

The fox(s) are extremely tame and don't peg it when a human approaches. There are a family of 6 in the field behind us.

My questions are:
is an airifle legal? (And to fire in a rural area)
Will an airifle kill a fox outright, or will I have to take a spade to the f###er?
Is it legal to shoot the people feeding the foxes? (We know 2 neighbours down the road do this).

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    aww, when I found my rabbit had died overnight in her cage I was upset. It must have been horrable for her to find them with their head bit off.
    Where the rabbits in a cage? or just running loose in the greenhouse?
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Get a terrier - I have a jack russell, they won't come near. Suprised he / she only killed one chicken - they usually do the lot and just take one!
  • DarthchaffinchDarthchaffinch Posts: 7,558
    Forum Member
    The rabbits were loose in the greenhouse- which was on a paving slabbed base. I've just been told it's illegal to kill a fox! :mad:
    I'll just accidently batter it's head in with a spade....
  • Melp26Melp26 Posts: 1,413
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The fox is just doing what comes naturally, it's not its fault. I think you sould make sure your animals are properly secure from predators (find out more about foxes so you know what will and wont keep them out) and politely explain the situation to your neighbours in the hope that they will stop feeding the foxes.
  • GortGort Posts: 7,466
    Forum Member
    The rabbits were loose in the greenhouse- which was on a paving slabbed base. I've just been told it's illegal to kill a fox! :mad:
    I'll just accidently batter it's head in with a spade....

It's only illegal to kill a fox with dogs, but it's legal to use other methods. Unless you're a good shot with a powerful air rifle and do this within the confines of your own property, then I'd advise against this route and would advise you to get professional help. However, it's not illegal to kill a fox here (check on Google if you wish, you'll find numerous sources).
  • cosmocosmo Posts: 26,840
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do you know where the den is?

If so, urinate into a bottle then go over and tip it into and around the den. Do this every day.

Human urine scent is recognised by them as a predator further up the chain and they're likely to move on.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,269
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know it can't have been nice for you to find your animals dead like that but please don't harm the foxes. As somebody said, they're only doing what comes naturally.

Make sure you keep your animals safe from them in future and it hopefully won't be a problem again.
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Surely it can't be good for the rabbits to be kept in a green house which must be too hot for them in summer and too cold in winter?

All my animals live inside, I wouldn't want anything of mine stuck down the garden.
  • summer_chicksummer_chick Posts: 903
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    you'd want to be sure its foxes doing it.. I know of a badger who managed pretty much the same feat...

If the neighbours are feeding the foxes, they're not the ones killing your hens ( foxes, not neighbours obviously ) ... they only kill if they're hungry, and like any other animal, why cook, when theres free takeaway next door !
  • xdowxdow Posts: 2,388
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    as above - foxes are incredibly lazy creatures.

as for keeping the rabbits in the greenhouse - WTF?

my cousins rabbit cooked in a greenhouse a few years back.