Is anyone else getting bored with DOI?

natalie77natalie77 Posts: 2,468
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Iam finding it really hard to get excited about this series of DOI, I have always enjoyed watching the show and went to see the tour last year which was brilliant fun and have tickets for this years too but Iam finding myself wishing this years show was over already. If it wasn’t that I like a couple of the contestants and want to see what happens with them I would probably stop watching, I already record the show and forward through more than half of the show.

Comments

• TiggergirlTiggergirl Posts: 2,084
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So I'm not the only then, glad to hear it's not just me. Just don't feel it's as good this year not sure why maybey the choice of celebs or the fact that some of the pros have got a big to big for their boots ie backchatting the judges.
    Don't even think Torvill and Deans routine's have been as interesting either this year.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 202
    Forum Member
    Hmmm, well I've still been on the edge of my seat each Sunday and enjoy watching the couples as much as ever, but the politics and bitchiness behind the scenes have been a lot more evident this year and that's left a bit of a sour taste in my mouth :( Also, no more Pav to moon over until the final, bah ;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,023
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not bored with the series...and I enjoy it :-)
  • PinkvelvetPinkvelvet Posts: 10,744
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tiggergirl wrote: »
    So I'm not the only then, glad to hear it's not just me. Just don't feel it's as good this year not sure why maybey the choice of celebs or the fact that some of the pros have got a big to big for their boots ie backchatting the judges.
    Don't even think Torvill and Deans routine's have been as interesting either this year.

I'm glad someone else has mentioned the routines and their lack of impact. Apart from Hayley's routines which I've loved, and a handful of others, everything seems stale and samish. In particular watching T & D dance is very repetitive, with the same style movements and it has seemed like watching the same thing over and over again for the vast majority of their routines.

I normally really enjoy their routines but have started to wish that each week the skaters are allowed to work with different choreographers, and that we get to see a pro routine, choreographed by themselves as well as a Chris and Jayne routine.
  • SallyforthSallyforth Posts: 7,404
    Forum Member
    I think there's a few things they could try to shake it up including:

Proper solo skating spots for the celebs
    Set dances/rhythms
    Partner-swapping (hehe)
  • tabithakittentabithakitten Posts: 13,860
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sallyforth wrote: »
    I think there's a few things they could try to shake it up including:

Proper solo skating spots for the celebs
    Set dances/rhythms
    Partner-swapping (hehe)

Oh that would be interesting. Like in the world show jumping championships where the final four have to ride each other's mounts... hang on this is getting worse ;).
  • PhoebicaPhoebica Posts: 2,863
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree, i think it's partly due to how good last year was. Last series had 2 extremes, at one end there was Todd who was absolutely terrible then there was Ray who was brilliant. This yeah doesn't have that, no-one is THAT bad and while Hayley obviously good i don't look forward to watching her as much as i did Ray.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Phoebica wrote: »
    I agree, i think it's partly due to how good last year was. Last series had 2 extremes, at one end there was Todd who was absolutely terrible then there was Ray who was brilliant. This yeah doesn't have that, no-one is THAT bad and while Hayley obviously good i don't look forward to watching her as much as i did Ray.

Dr Hilary was pretty awful...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Partner swapping does sound like an interesting way to spice things up...they would never go for it though...
  • thenetworkbabethenetworkbabe Posts: 45,554
    Forum Member
    Its much better than last year where the only surprise was Todd more or less falling off the stage. Ray was an obvious winner, the hopeless people lingered on and on, the only competition was for who came second and the voters even aborted that race by going for the best of a very poor selection of males not caled Ray. We didn't even manage two competent people in the last 2 or 2 decent boleros.

Got the feeling it ought to be better than it is this year. Daniella is physically a better shape than Zoe and can do more but her marks have not been as good as they might be till this week. Hayley seems to be carrying the show and they are in danger of making her to obvious and giving her too much too early and too much for one routine. The males ought to be doing better than they are but they are not managing tricks or acting really good routines or lifting very well or in Mikey's case much at all. They should on age, background and fitness have been the answer to the problem that they couldn't find enough good males in series 3 and 4 but somehow they are not. The age profile looks wrong too with only really Hayley at an ideal age and everyone else too old or too young among the females and the males seem to be having difficulty getting support - possibly because they are too young for the female vote. Its true there's a lack of great routines but most series only have a few anyway and this series there's a limit to what you can do when you only have two or three teams who can move, act, lift and dance well.
  • Strictly_IrishStrictly_Irish Posts: 18,757
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    the only competition was for who came second and the voters even aborted that race by going for the best of a very poor selection of males not caled Ray. We didn't even manage two competent people in the last 2 or 2 decent boleros.

While I agree this series is better, ^^^ this is utter tripe.

There were plenty of people who liked Donal for his improvement and personality. Nothing to do with Ray, who I pretty much just ignored. Donal had a strong fanbase.
  • chipstick10chipstick10 Posts: 7,168
    Forum Member
    Think The smug duo of Hollow and phil is just too m uch especially as TM is just an extention of DOI. Its like a little club. Emma has spoiled it as well, and Jason believes like Phil that he is untouchable. I find them insufferable.
  • yellowlabbieyellowlabbie Posts: 59,081
    Forum Member
    While I agree this series is better, ^^^ this is utter tripe.

There were plenty of people who liked Donal for his improvement and personality. Nothing to do with Ray, who I pretty much just ignored. Donal had a strong fanbase.

Is Donal Irish?
  • natalie77natalie77 Posts: 2,468
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree that the routines are very samey, it must be hard trying to choreograph lots and lots of different routines each week and make them different from previous weeks or even previous years which is why I feel there should be more input from the professional skaters like there is from the professional dancers in SCD. At least we might get to see some different moves, some of the opening moves T & D give them are so cheesy.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,928
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can I make the point that always hits me with threads like these...if you're that bored by the entertainment on offer, a) why are you still watching, and b) why do you care enough about the show to post a thread telling the world how bored you are by it all?

If you have a grievance about a specific aspect of the show then by all means air it. If you have grievances about several aspects, do likewise. But to come on and say that the whole show is boring is simply neither believeable or interesting for anyone.

I feel a little mean making this point, but really, televisions have off buttons for a reason, and you might be off using yours rather than clog up a site meant for discussion with remarks about how dull you find it all.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Think The smug duo of Hollow and phil is just too m uch especially as TM is just an extention of DOI. Its like a little club. Emma has spoiled it as well, and Jason believes like Phil that he is untouchable. I find them insufferable.

I hadn’t really found that they were that annoying until this year where they both seem to unable to say anything negative about the show or anyone connected to the show like Jason, I was really annoyed to hear Emma on TM yesterday laugh at what Jason says as if it nothing offensive, I can’t believe they are not disgusted at some of the things he has said this year?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can I make the point that always hits me with threads like these...if you're that bored by the entertainment on offer, a) why are you still watching, and b) why do you care enough about the show to post a thread telling the world how bored you are by it all?

If you have a grievance about a specific aspect of the show then by all means air it. If you have grievances about several aspects, do likewise. But to come on and say that the whole show is boring is simply neither believeable or interesting for anyone.

I feel a little mean making this point, but really, televisions have off buttons for a reason, and you might be off using yours rather than clog up a site meant for discussion with remarks about how dull you find it all.

For starters I have explained the reasons for still watching the show in my OP and the reason why I started the thread was a genuine interest as to whether anyone else was feeling the same as me which is what I believe a forum is for? If you hate threads like this so much why have you bothered to waste your time reading and posting in it?
  • VeriVeri Posts: 96,996
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why not?

It's entirely possible to enjoy the forum a lot more than the show, so why drop out of the forum just because the show is boring?

As for "why are you still watching?" -- some of us aren't watching very much. We skip or FF over most of it.
    I find it both believable and interesting.
  • TissyTissy Posts: 45,747
    Forum Member

They are really getting on my nerves coupled with the endless adverts :mad:
  • VeriVeri Posts: 96,996
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    natalie77 wrote: »
    Iam finding it really hard to get excited about this series of DOI, I have always enjoyed watching the show and went to see the tour last year which was brilliant fun and have tickets for this years too but Iam finding myself wishing this years show was over already. If it wasn’t that I like a couple of the contestants and want to see what happens with them I would probably stop watching, I already record the show and forward through more than half of the show.
    That's exactly the situation I'm in. I watch a recording so I can FF through most of it.

Even though I found both Ray and Coleen annoying, I still enjoyed last year's show more than this one. Most of this year's routines just don't interest me, and I don't even find myself looking forward to what might happen later.

Perhaps part of this is because of the Olympics., though. The skating is so good there that DOI suffers by comparison.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is Donal Irish?

Yep...
  • TraceyUKTraceyUK Posts: 2,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I didn't even watch the last show that's how bored I am of it this year.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    TraceyUK wrote: »
    I didn't even watch the last show that's how bored I am of it this year.

Who go on the forums then? I can't imagine wasting precious time reading & talking about a show I don't even like!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Veri wrote: »
    That's exactly the situation I'm in. I watch a recording so I can FF through most of it.

Even though I found both Ray and Coleen annoying, I still enjoyed last year's show more than this one. Most of this year's routines just don't interest me, and I don't even find myself looking forward to what might happen later.

Perhaps part of this is because of the Olympics., though. The skating is so good there that DOI suffers by comparison.

Iam glad to hear that Iam not the only one feeling this about this series, I was so excited when it first came back this year but then I found it wasn't quite living up to the previous years.
  • yellowlabbieyellowlabbie Posts: 59,081
    Forum Member
    Yep...

I thought so:D