Options

What's with all the old music?

Comments

• Options
    yellowlabbieyellowlabbie Posts: 59,081
    Forum Member
    I do understand, it can get tiresome if you cannot criticise anything without being jumped upon.

I hope so too. Routines look so much better if they can flow with the music. I hate the stop + start types, where they jump around on toe picks and point at each other. Ray's song "Nothing's gonna stop us now" last year was one of the really good songs (IMO) that really worked flowing-wise (not just because Ray skated to it, but because the song seemed to work - if this makes sense:o).

It also becomes very tiresome when some are criticising everything about Hayley and it seems they still can't resist doing it.
  • Options
    IgnazioIgnazio Posts: 18,695
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would love a classical night - many top ice dancing couples have recognised that through the classics they can express many emotions more effectively than through the 'pops.'

There is a place for every genre - but throughout all series the classics seem to have been ignored.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,023
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't know if I agree or disagree with the OP. It would be nice to get some more up to date charts stuff in the program...but I also really enjoy some older ones, and the classics. DOI has such a wide audience, and I don't think it would be wise to just play music that's around nowadays - but they should really cut all the country rubbish - does my head in!!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,023
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ignazio wrote: »
    I would love a classical night - many top ice dancing couples have recognised that through the classics they can express many emotions more effectively than through the 'pops.'

There is a place for every genre - but throughout all series the classics seem to have been ignored.

Oooh a classical night would be pretty great. Maybe just musical composers with songs like Pachebels Canon or Moonlight Sonata. Might make the competition even a bit more ...mature? :)
  • Options
    Patti-AnnPatti-Ann Posts: 22,747
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I enjoyed Kieron skating to 'Beat Again':D
  • Options
    Tiger RoseTiger Rose Posts: 11,841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    gazb2 wrote: »
    Oooh a classical night would be pretty great. Maybe just musical composers with songs like Pachebels Canon or Moonlight Sonata. Might make the competition even a bit more ...mature? :)

Great idea but have just seen a pig flying outside my window!!

This would be way too classy for ITV.:(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    gazb2 wrote: »
    Well T&D's iconic performance was skated to Ravel's Bolero.

Many skaters have drawn on the classics - Katerina Witt skating to Carmen is a prime example - as is Tchaikovsky's music from The Nutcracker and of course Swan Lake: Vivaldi's Four Seasons, Air on a G string - Bach, Puccini (Madam Butterfly) - the list is endless.
  • Options
    jimbojonesjimbojones Posts: 4,525
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    :yawn::yawn::yawn:

Lol thanks this is exactly my point!! :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    jimbojones wrote: »
    Lol thanks this is exactly my point!! :)

As did your original post prove my point, you just can't stop talking about Hayley.
  • Options
    Scratchy7929Scratchy7929 Posts: 3,252
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Perhaps is because dance music since the '80's has been mainly been synth based.A little mechanical, over repetitive & the beat / movement of the music not so clearly defined as older stuff.Can't comment that much really as I have hardly watched the show.
  • Options
    bendymixerbendymixer Posts: 18,628
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I dont mind what music they use as long as it is fair for all last Sunday's certainly was not if they are using 80's music they should all get it etc not some have music out for the arc and others have popular chart tunes
  • Options
    ladygardenerladygardener Posts: 2,621
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    People are complaining there are too many old songs, and that Hayley gets all the best songs. Week before last, she skated to a song from a very old musical, 1920s-40s.

As others have said, many of us are no longer young and we like to hear music from our youth now and again, in any case being more melodic, it is probably easier to skate to.
  • Options
    lach doch mallach doch mal Posts: 16,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It also becomes very tiresome when some are criticising everything about Hayley and it seems they still can't resist doing it.

Yes I understand, and I have defended Hayley a lot on here. However, I do understand the other side as well, where some people may feel that they cannot say anything negative in relationship to Hayley anymore (e.g. song choice etc.) without being taken to task. I just think it should work both ways (don't overdo the criticism and don't use every thread to criticise people, but on the other hand, as a supporter, don't react to every little criticism):).

To be fair, this week, the OTT criticism of Hayley seemed to have disappeared.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Yes I understand, and I have defended Hayley a lot on here. However, I do understand the other side as well, where some people may feel that they cannot say anything negative in relationship to Hayley anymore (e.g. song choice etc.) without being taken to task. I just think it should work both ways (don't overdo the criticism and don't use every thread to criticise people, but on the other hand, as a supporter, don't react to every little criticism):).

To be fair, this week, the OTT criticism of Hayley seemed to have disappeared.

Yes, so the reaction to every little criticism of Hayley seems to have worked.:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, so the reaction to every little criticism of Hayley seems to have worked.:)

Well what can I say in response to this;). I think my point was to get people to see both sides of the story. Otherwise you enter a vicious circle. As I said, it would be great if people could limit their criticism to the performance and skating of a contestant without resorting to name-calling. On the other hand it would be great if supporters can accept that other people might not like their favourite and will criticise them for a variety of different reasons. Jumping and reacting to every criticism might undermine otherwise well deserved reactions to nasty criticism. It's like the boy who cried wolf... If you get my drift.:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Well what can I say in response to this;). I think my point was to get people to see both sides of the story. Otherwise you enter a vicious circle. As I said, it would be great if people could limit their criticism to the performance and skating of a contestant without resorting to name-calling. On the other hand it would be great if supporters can accept that other people might not like their favourite and will criticise them for a variety of different reasons. Jumping and reacting to every criticism might undermine otherwise well deserved reactions to nasty criticism. It's like the boy who cried wolf... If you get my drift.:)

So you are saying that if some of us disagree when others are criticising Hayley that we should not react to this criticism. Well, I disagree, if I think some are digging the knife into Hayley for silly reasons then I will say so. I don't care if they do not like her, or her skating, but you must surely admit that the nitpicking against Hayley has been totally out of proportion. Afterall, we can only 'jump and react' if we are given the ammunition. I think the problem is with the people who really dislike Hayley and take every opportunity to say so. The latest one being 'she gets the best music'. Any excuse to have a go at her. I will continue to jump and react when I think it is necessary.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So you are saying that if some of us disagree when others are criticising Hayley that we should not react to this criticism. Well, I disagree, if I think some are digging the knife into Hayley for silly reasons then I will say so. I don't care if they do not like her, or her skating, but you must surely admit that the nitpicking against Hayley has been totally out of proportion. Afterall, we can only 'jump and react' if we are given the ammunition. I think the problem is with the people who really dislike Hayley and take every opportunity to say so. The latest one being 'she gets the best music'. Any excuse to have a go at her. I will continue to jump and react when I think it is necessary.

No, that is not what I'm saying. Of course, you can and should react any way you like, after all this is a forum where we are all allowed to share and discuss our opinions:cool:.

But IMO the Hayley criticism/support debate is not just the fault of one side. Sometimes eager support for a person can taint our view of things, as can intense dislike. However, maybe we will have to disagree on this one, there will be plenty of opportunity when we agree on other things.:)

Coming back to the music, I think the music choice question is an interesting one. If anything it is not a criticism of Hayley but a criticism of the people distributing the music to the different couples. Hayley had undoubtely a very good song last Sunday, and some other couples have had really bad songs (can't remember one good song for Danny). Now, if Hayley had been given really bad song you probably wouldn't like that either, so I can understand why some supporters might be a bit miffed.
  • Options
    Strictly_IrishStrictly_Irish Posts: 18,757
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think Kieron has gotten some of the best songs by far, along with Hayley. Well known ones. His fans often claim that he gets hard done by on the show but his song choices are much better than say Mikey and Gary.

He's had Pencil Full of Lead, Careless Whisper, Beat Again and Ever Fallen Love.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    No, that is not what I'm saying. Of course, you can and should react any way you like, after all this is a forum where we are all allowed to share and discuss our opinions:cool:.

But IMO the Hayley criticism/support debate is not just the fault of one side. Sometimes eager support for a person can taint our view of things, as can intense dislike. However, maybe we will have to disagree on this one, there will be plenty of opportunity when we agree on other things.:)

Coming back to the music, I think the music choice question is an interesting one. If anything it is not a criticism of Hayley but a criticism of the people distributing the music to the different couples. Hayley had undoubtely a very good song last Sunday, and some other couples have had really bad songs (can't remember one good song for Danny). Now, if Hayley had been given really bad song you probably wouldn't like that either, so I can understand why some supporters might be a bit miffed.

Yes, I agree that it is the fault of the people distributing the music but some just use it as an excuse to run Hayley down, again. Some say she had a good song last week, I don't know because I didn't know it, must be my age:D, then again she had a really old song a few weeks ago. I think Danielle gets some good music, she had Dusty Springfield one week but it just the luck of the draw imo. Let's face it, the music is subjective too, what one person likes, another doesn't so it works itself out in the end.
    I can't ever remember complaining about anyone's music to be honest. I try to look at the overall performance and who interprets the music the best.
    I only get miffed at the constant criticism of Hayley tbh because I am convinced their dislike of her is due to the fact that she is the best and therefore the biggest danger to their favourite.:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, I agree that it is the fault of the people distributing the music but some just use it as an excuse to run Hayley down, again. Some say she had a good song last week, I don't know because I didn't know it, must be my age:D, then again she had a really old song a few weeks ago. I think Danielle gets some good music, she had Dusty Springfield one week but it just the luck of the draw imo. Let's face it, the music is subjective too, what one person likes, another doesn't so it works itself out in the end.
    I can't ever remember complaining about anyone's music to be honest. I try to look at the overall performance and who interprets the music the best.
    I only get miffed at the constant criticism of Hayley tbh because I am convinced their dislike of her is due to the fact that she is the best and therefore the biggest danger to their favourite.:)

You see I knew we would finally agree;). You are certainly right, music is subjective, and a lot of people might have hated the "Don't stop believing song" (I certainly would have preferred the Journey version). I'm not a fan of Dusty Springfield, and as such, I wouldn't even say that Daniella had many good songs. As I hate JLS and careless whisper, I don't think Kieron had so many good songs either (all subjective though).

I think it's a good idea to look at the overall performance, but music can be really important. For one reason or another they seem to give Danny these weird stop and start songs (and I wouldn't call myself a fan:D).

The bit in bold: I'm sure there is an aspect of that, but as I said, this week it seems Mikey and strangely enough Kieron did get their fair share of criticism on here.
  • Options
    Strictly_IrishStrictly_Irish Posts: 18,757
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You see I knew we would finally agree;). You are certainly right, music is subjective, and a lot of people might have hated the "Don't stop believing song" (I certainly would have preferred the Journey version). I'm not a fan of Dusty Springfield, and as such, I wouldn't even say that Daniella had many good songs. As I hate JLS and careless whisper, I don't think Kieron had so many good songs either (all subjective though).

I think it's a good idea to look at the overall performance, but music can be really important. For one reason or another they seem to give Danny these weird stop and start songs (and I wouldn't call myself a fan:D).

The bit in bold: I'm sure there is an aspect of that, but as I said, this week it seems Mikey and strangely enough Kieron did get their fair share of criticism on here.

It's not really subective though. Beat Again and Careless Whisper are well known, therefore memorable. Same with DSB & Dusty.

Can anyone remember the name of Mikey's songs apart from lat week?
  • Options
    Forum Member

To be fair, Mikey deserved a lot of his criticism because he had a bad day at the office last week but most of it was levelled at his performance rather than personal.
    I am watching Alan Titchmarsh at the moment and Hayley and Dan are on. They are lovely and throwing about the compliments about Daniella and Gary, saying they are their biggest competition and that the rest that are left are all good.
  • Options
    tabithakittentabithakitten Posts: 13,871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Well I reckon a fair amount of the increased criticism for Mikey has come due to a perceived threat too. He always seemed popular but that wasn't too terrible while it looked like he could skate a bit. However, in recent weeks, his ability has gone on a slide and this week he had an almost ridiculously positive vt coupled with dramatic "updates" that could possibly be seen as favouritism. Suddenly those with other favourites are saying he's worse than Coleen/Dr Hilary or almost as bad as Todd Carty - it's all getting a bit daft...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well I reckon a fair amount of the increased criticism for Mikey has come due to a perceived threat too. He always seemed popular but that wasn't too terrible while it looked like he could skate a bit. However, in recent weeks, his ability has gone on a slide and this week he had an almost ridiculously positive vt coupled with dramatic "updates" that could possibly be seen as favouritism. Suddenly those with other favourites are saying he's worse than Coleen/Dr Hilary or almost as bad as Todd Carty - it's all getting a bit daft...
    That's true - he is nowhere near as inept as those you mention; unfortunately the positive vts when compared to performance do him no favours.
  • Options
    mandyxxxxmandyxxxx Posts: 1,102
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ignazio wrote: »
    That's true - he is nowhere near as inept as those you mention; unfortunately the positive vts when compared to performance do him no favours.

Of course the VTs are put together before the performance so perhaps he is looking good in training but not always delivering for whatever reasons on the night.