***Over the Rainbow 15th May Official Semi Final Discussion Thread***

1171819202123»

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 131
    Forum Member
    Well I think Steph has been stitched up tonight, horrible song to sing on her own, and ghastly song for the duet.

No prizes for whom they want gone.

agree!

I actually think Steph is most suited out of the 4 left for the role of Dorothy. If you think back to Judy Garland in the role she has the most similarities IMO.

(yes I know we're not looking for another Judy :p)

Steph has all the elements for this role; voice, acting, dancing, the look... sense of humour :D
  • KewpeeKewpee Posts: 50,976
    Forum Member
    fog wrote: »
    nobody is saying he's not allowed an opinion..it's the way his opinion has been used throughout that is wrong.
    sheila was particularly OTT tonight regarding danielle. i genuinely think during the group songs that she just sits there watching danielle and no one else. it's quite embarassing at times.
    - now if danielle was actually leaps and bounds better in the acting department than all the others you could understand the high praise...but she's not. she's good no doubt about that but not THAT good!

I was watching carefully the duet between danielle and lauren and i thought that there wasn't much in between them at all acting wise. danielle snapped her head actions out a little more but lauren really got into the mood of the number and had some great facial epressions. not that sheila would of noticed though :rolleyes:

We'll have to agree to differ, I've thought Danielle was believable actress from very early on. She's not OTT stage school, she actually becomes the person she is portraying, and you are not aware that she is actually acting, which is the key to a good actor IMO.

I am at a loss as to how ALWs opinion has been used...I find that comment confusing...how has it been used? He's given his opinion when asked, about all the girls, whether you agree with him or not hinges on a lot of things, not least whether he is praising or critisizing someone you like...it then becomes emotive.

The fact still remains that he is asked for an opinion and considering his experience in the field, it is a valid opinion.

His opinion should not be used as a reason to dislike someone though, particularly if that someone is not you own personal favourite.

I am not keen on Lauren....for my own reasons. What ALW or any of the others have to say in praise of Lauren has no bearing on my opinion of her, and I can concede that though I am not keen on her, the praise of her by the panel and ALW is justified.
  • notinnotin Posts: 1,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    are there any spoilers tonight?
  • KewpeeKewpee Posts: 50,976
    Forum Member
    notin wrote: »
    are there any spoilers tonight?

In the spoiler thread..:)
  • fogfog Posts: 1,281
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kewpee wrote: »
    We'll have to agree to differ, I've thought Danielle was believable actress from very early on. She's not OTT stage school, she actually becomes the person she is portraying, and you are not aware that she is actually acting, which is the key to a good actor IMO.

I am at a loss as to how ALWs opinion has been used...I find that comment confusing...how has it been used? He's given his opinion when asked, about all the girls, whether you agree with him or not hinges on a lot of things, not least whether he is praising or critisizing someone you like...it then becomes emotive.

The fact still remains that he is asked for an opinion and considering his experience in the field, it is a valid opinion.

His opinion should not be used as a reason to dislike someone though, particularly if that someone is not you own personal favourite.

I am not keen on Lauren....for my own reasons. What ALW or any of the others have to say in praise of Lauren has no bearing on my opinion of her, and I can concede that though I am not keen on her, the praise of her by the panel and ALW is justified.

you misunderstand me. i do think danielle is a good actress. my point is that she's not better than the others quite as much as sheila would have everyone believe she is. i think she just really wants her to be dorothy and so will say stuff to make her look better.

with my comment on how ALW's opinion is being used..don't be confused..it's very simple ;) i don't necessarily mean what he 'says', he can say what he likes, but it's more the helping hand that has been given his favourite. tonight for instance as many have said on here, danielle had the best most popular song for her solo performance. mambo was a big big gift to her to have such a big larger than life number like that. she also always seems to start and end at the front view of group songs etc. i'm not the only one that has noticed these things..as i'm sure you've read countless times on these threads.

ok some people take the whole 'chosen one' thing a little too far....but you'd be a fool if you didn't recognise at least some of it. it's been plain to see throughout the series. it's always funny how it seems the only ones that don't notice it are the ones who have danielle as their favourite and who dislike lauren for personal reasons rather than any lack of talent.

anyway. if danielle wins..which it looks rather likely..i'll be happy for her. she's a very talented girl who i'm sure will do well as dorothy.
  • DavetheScotDavetheScot Posts: 16,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I actually like all the girls and thought they all did well tonight. I'll vote for Steph, but that's just because she comes across as so especially likeable rather than on performance (they're all capable of doing the part justice).

I agree with those who feel ALW, and Sheila for that matter, are doing Danielle no favours. Yes, he has a right to his opinion, but he needs to remember what happened on IDA; some people will vote against a girl who is seen as being too much the favourite.
  • thenetworkbabethenetworkbabe Posts: 45,624
    Forum Member
    fog wrote: »
    nobody is saying he's not allowed an opinion..it's the way his opinion has been used throughout that is wrong.
    sheila was particularly OTT tonight regarding danielle. i genuinely think during the group songs that she just sits there watching danielle and no one else. it's quite embarassing at times.
    - now if danielle was actually leaps and bounds better in the acting department than all the others you could understand the high praise...but she's not. she's good no doubt about that but not THAT good!

I was watching carefully the duet between danielle and lauren and i thought that there wasn't much in between them at all acting wise. danielle snapped her head actions out a little more but lauren really got into the mood of the number and had some great facial epressions. not that sheila would of noticed though :rolleyes:

She was totally ridiculous tonight. Danielle becomes the character we are told - but she always looks the same character. Jenny also becomes the character she claimed early on - but then the spin became she's too understated. Tonight we had the heights of absurdity when with most of them she wanted more of something - but then praised Danielle for giving us not much and leaving it for us to decide.

I agree Lauren was good on the acting tonight. Her solo had a nice twist and she matched Danielle in the duet. The surprise was that Danielle edged her on the vocal in the duet. If they worked on her styling, I think they could have made Lauren look far more like Dorothy.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 115
    Forum Member
    I wouldn't take Sheila all that seriously, tbh. I love her to death, but she is so very theatre. And you can never entirely trust the 'authenticity' of what theatre types claim to be true. I toyed with the idea of drama school, but didn't go for it in the end, for the main reason that I just couldn't believe what my teachers were saying. It's hard getting constant notes from directors that contradict each other all the time. You can end up very, very frustrated. It's just their way, seemingly.

As a Danielle fan, I thought Lauren just edged it performance-wise on the duet. I do think it's much more of a Lauren song though. Someone somewhere (I think on this board) suggested that she be cast as Nessarose in Wicked, and I'm fully on board for that particular bandwagon. Dream Casting! :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2
    Forum Member
    I believe ALW has changed his mind about who he would like to be Dorothy! Up until last week it was clearly Danielle he favoured, but I reckon Sophie is now his preferred choice.

I'm sure he always believed she had the most Box Office potential as she's gorgeous, endearing and natural (ie untrained), but her performances until lately have lacked a bit of the spark and polish of the other girls. This was understandable considering her lack of experience compared to the others. Things have changed now and Sophie is at last delivering with a bit more gusto and panache, and she has convinced ALW that she COULD be Dorothy. With the stage show a year away, I think he knows that Sophie will be ready and able to wow the audience then. With some experience and confidence ALW knows that Sophie could be a huge star.

I think the public will back Sophie over the other girls for the same reasons and because I feel they embrace her lovely diffident charm. And also perhaps just like Judy Garland she has red hair!

I feel that Lauren and Steph will be in the bottom two tonight with ALW electing to save Steph. Although he gives generous praise to Lauren's performances I feel he has already decided she would not make a convincing Dorothy.

I reckon Missy will make it as Toto, with Dangerous Dave running her a close second.
  • DavetheScotDavetheScot Posts: 16,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I feel that Lauren and Steph will be in the bottom two tonight with ALW electing to save Steph. Although he gives generous praise to Lauren's performances I feel he has already decided she would not make a convincing Dorothy.

You got the bottom two right. If only you'd been right about who Andrew would save! :(