Putting rubbish in other peoples bins.

Comments

• mummypiggetmummypigget Posts: 12,325
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Resonance wrote: »
    If our bin is full we put the excess in someone's not full bin on bin day. I don't see the problem. They are welcome to do the same and sometimes do. It's not as if it's harming anyone. They get an empty bin back at the end of it.

This is what I was saying I do, definitely would never do it at any other time. The lady is really nice and doesn't mind, thankfully. Our bin collection is usually before 8am so I take mine out at about 7.45am just to make sure she isn't putting anything else in.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 77
    Forum Member
    Once they start charging us say £5-10 to empty our bins, it will be cost effective to shove all your stuff in others' bins :)
  • Abbasolutely 40Abbasolutely 40 Posts: 15,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why would you care though? What detrimental effect would it have on your life :confused:

Its my property and if someone would like to ask it wouldnt bother me , but I am like that poster and it would bother me to have random peoples rubbish in my bin
    I keep my bin clean and put dettol in it etc , That is my choice . I have no idea what kind of rubbish others throw in my bin
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Spacedone wrote: »
    Only time I've done this is when I was redecorating my house and had filled my own bin up. And only on the actual day of the pick-up.

This is why I did it today, we are doing the house up so it was just general rubbish, nothing gross like nappies etc.
  • vintage_girlvintage_girl Posts: 3,573
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why would you care though? What detrimental effect would it have on your life :confused:

If they asked me beforehand I wouldn´t mind, but otherwise it´s just rude. Of course it doesn´t have detrimental effects, but like I said it´s annoying if I have more bags in the house that I need to get rid of, and then there´s no space.
  • Madridista23Madridista23 Posts: 9,422
    Forum Member
    My bins are rarely full, so i've always said to my neighbour if she needs to bin some of her garbage in mine, there's no problem. Seems like a neighbourly thing to do. It don't cost anyone, anything. :cool:
  • Abbasolutely 40Abbasolutely 40 Posts: 15,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My bins are rarely full, so i've always said to my neighbour if she needs to bin some of her garbage in mine, there's no problem. Seems like a neighbourly thing to do. It don't cost anyone, anything. :cool:

Most people are saying just that , that it would be nicer to ask ot have an understanding , not randomly choose one and dump rubbish in it .
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 77
    Forum Member
    Its my property and if someone would like to ask it wouldnt bother me , but I am like that poster and it would bother me to have random peoples rubbish in my bin
    I keep my bin clean and put dettol in it etc , That is my choice . I have no idea what kind of rubbish others throw in my bin

Exactly. When a crime has been committed, one of the things the forensics team or Police may do is look through the bin.
  • TPLTPL Posts: 2,300
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The most i've ever put in another persons bin is empty fish and chip wrapping on my way home.

Is that wrong?

I doubt i would consider putting anything considerably more than that in someone else's bin without asking their permission to do so.
  • TPLTPL Posts: 2,300
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mechanoid wrote: »
    Exactly. When a crime has been committed, one of the things the forensics team or Police may do is look through the bin.

Of course they'd also look through neighbours bins.

Only an idiot would commit a crime and put incriminating evidence in their own bin.
  • Brass Drag0nBrass Drag0n Posts: 5,046
    Forum Member
    When we had the snow at Christmas the local rubbish collections in my area didn't happen for a couple of weeks. When I went to put a bag in my bin in the New Year I discovered some git had completely filled my bin with their rubbish.

Was not impressed and had to ask one of my neighbours if I could put my rubbish in their bin. I don't leave my bins out any more.

If charging for collecting refuse ever comes in, this is really going to become a big issue and probably start the odd neighbourhood feud too.
  • peodudepeodude Posts: 286
    Forum Member
    If charging for collecting refuse ever comes in, this is really going to become a big issue and probably start the odd neighbourhood feud too.

We already DO pay for it. It's called Council Tax.
  • thelostonethelostone Posts: 2,697
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I put my extra rubbish in my neighbours bins as they say I can if my bin is full. Same goes for them if theres is full.

But is all my bin that gets full as I have lots of people come around mine & some of them are my neighbours that come round to drink beer.
  • VoynichVoynich Posts: 14,481
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No probs as long as it's in the right bin. Don't you have 'bin police' who arrive to check your bins if the bolshie binmen suspect there might be something in it that should be recycled?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,800
    Forum Member
    Have you ever done this or is it something you wouldn't ever consider doing?

I as because our bins get full enough every 2 weeks but on occasion I have had extra rubbish and I just know I end up with a back log. Now I don't trawl the neighbours bins for space but on bin day when all the bins are lined up together I have on the times I have had an extra bag just popped it into my neighbours bin :o Does that make me abit gross? I wouldn't mind if someone put an odd bag in my bin if I ever had the space.

...i put all my dog shít in my neighbours bin..
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 367
    Forum Member
    If it's a choice between putting general rubbish in a bin or littering it around, I'd rather they put in my bin.
  • asp746asp746 Posts: 7,286
    Forum Member
    if someone asked me then i'd be fine about it. but when my bins full and they put stuff in which means my lid won't close then that makes me see red. i put my bins out as late as possible to avoid other people dumping their stuff in my bin - if i'm on my way out and the binmen haven't been i lift the lid and have recently found a bin sack full of vodka bottles etc - i just took it out and dumped it besides another bin - no doubt if i'd been caught i'd have been prosecuted.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,699
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My neighbour once asked me why I'd put grass cuttings in his garden bin to which my reply was, it would be a good trick as you know I don't have a lawn.He apologised and asked if I knew who'd done it but I had no idea. He's a good bloke and a fine neighbour.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Coo Ling wrote: »
    My neighbour once asked me why I'd put grass cuttings in his garden bin to which my reply was, it would be a good trick as you know I don't have a lawn.He apologised and asked if I knew who'd done it but I had no idea. He's a good bloke and a fine neighbour.

:D that tickled me. Did he not think to look first?:D
  • Bedsit BobBedsit Bob Posts: 24,344
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Somebody has been putting plastic food trays in my recycle bin.

I emailed the Council about it (in case I get a FPN, I want it on record that I've reported it) and all they could suggest was to speak to the person who was doing it.

Don't they think I would've already done that, if I knew who it was :confused: :rolleyes:

They also said "if your bin is contaminated, it will not be emptied".

So, because someone else is contaminating my bin, I'm the one who will be punished :confused:
  • pinot_noirpinot_noir Posts: 808
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I hate other people dumping their waste in my bin. I live in a flat over a shop and I get sick of finding my bin full of takeaway waste and commercial waste that the shopkeepers don't want to pay for.
  • sodavlacsodavlac Posts: 10,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It feels wrong yet I've done it on the odd occasion with empty beer cans en route to the football.
  • michelle666michelle666 Posts: 2,302
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We have 2 large communal wheelie bins here that take the rubbish from our block of flats and about 6 others blocks, but people in the surrounding houses who have their own bins, usually off-load their excess rubbish into them. It wouldn't bother me if some of them didn't over-fill the bins, then dump the rest of their rubbish on the pavement next to the bins. Then the seagulls and crows descend and we end up with their rubbish strewn everywhere. Of course it doesn't bother them because it's not all over their flipping doorstep. :mad:
  • malaikahmalaikah Posts: 20,014
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Surprised at how anal some people on this thread are. I'd much rather I had my neighbour's rubbish in my bin than left on the street for the foxes and cats to rip open and scatter around. They are more than welcome to fill up my bin space the night before collection. Who cares, as long as they aren't stopping you from making full use of the refuse collection service you pay for. The only time I have taken exception to it was when they put rubbish in before I had put the bin out and filled it up to the top, but didn't think to put the bin out on the kerbside - sometimes if I only have a half full bin I might not bother putting it out that week - the bags got taken out and dumped back outside their gate that week. If I have extra rubbish one week I will happily go hunting for bin space up the street on bin night - admittedly by the cover of night though! :D
  • PhilH36PhilH36 Posts: 26,281
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    asp746 wrote: »
    if someone asked me then i'd be fine about it. but when my bins full and they put stuff in which means my lid won't close then that makes me see red. i put my bins out as late as possible to avoid other people dumping their stuff in my bin - if i'm on my way out and the binmen haven't been i lift the lid and have recently found a bin sack full of vodka bottles etc - i just took it out and dumped it besides another bin - no doubt if i'd been caught i'd have been prosecuted.
    Bedsit Bob wrote: »
    Somebody has been putting plastic food trays in my recycle bin.

I emailed the Council about it (in case I get a FPN, I want it on record that I've reported it) and all they could suggest was to speak to the person who was doing it.

Don't they think I would've already done that, if I knew who it was :confused: :rolleyes:

They also said "if your bin is contaminated, it will not be emptied".

So, because someone else is contaminating my bin, I'm the one who will be punished :confused:

I refer you both to my earlier post # 21