Comments

• Options
    SigurdSigurd Posts: 26,610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    welwynrose wrote: »
    It's breaking news on the DM website
    I see the Mail is now carrying the story:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1329577/The-Chandlers-finally-released-Somali-pirates.html

Ah well, it's good news anyway.

PS: And the dead Mail link that I gave earlier now works!
  • Options
    Leicester_HunkLeicester_Hunk Posts: 18,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    good news.

I started searching for news stories and I found this:

http://blog.mailasail.com/lynnrival

It looks as if the diary entries dried up at the end of October last year .............. quite poignant I think.

Now - can someone kidnap Cheryl Cole please and lets see how much coverage she gets in comparison to the Chandlers.

Seriously - Good luck to them both.
  • Options
    BerBer Posts: 24,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't know how these things work when it comes to news, but is it possible that news stories can be "copyrighted"?
  • Options
    bonpennybonpenny Posts: 495
    Forum Member
    Ber wrote: »
    I don't know how these things work when it comes to news, but is it possible that news stories can be "copyrighted"?

Not the story itself.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ber wrote: »
    I think exclusive interviews or a particular reporter's work can be, but I don't think the facts of a news story can be copyright.

ETA: I suppose it's not unlikely that the Chandlers will sell their version of the story to someone, though.
  • Options
    BerBer Posts: 24,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bonpenny wrote: »
    Not the story itself.

Hmm.. thats what I thought - I just had my TFH on for a moment there and thought it wouldn't surprise me if Sky wouldn't let the BBC run the story :o
  • Options
    You_moYou_mo Posts: 11,334
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    With all these ransoms getting paid, the pirates must be rolling in it. :(
  • Options
    ~Twinkle~~Twinkle~ Posts: 8,166
    Forum Member
    You_mo wrote: »
    With all these ransoms getting paid, the pirates must be rolling in it. :(

Yes, and even moreso now that a ransom's been paid. I dread to think what's going to happen in the future. :cry:
  • Options
    rockerchickrockerchick Posts: 9,255
    Forum Member
    It's all very well and good 'outsiders' saying oh yeah the british government is right in not paying any ransom out etc etc etc, but if it's someone very dear to you who has been captured i'm sure you wouldn't hold the same view, i know if someone close to me was in that situation i would do everything possible to get hold of the money, regardless of the impact it may have on other people getting captured.
  • Options
    gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    good news.

I started searching for news stories and I found this:

http://blog.mailasail.com/lynnrival

It looks as if the diary entries dried up at the end of October last year .............. quite poignant I think.

Now - can someone kidnap Cheryl Cole please and lets see how much coverage she gets in comparison to the Chandlers.

Seriously - Good luck to them both.

you can't say that. Yasmin Alibi Brown (i know that's not right) will send the boys round. :D
  • Options
    gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    speaking of quelling these pirates - what they should do is this

tell the Somali government to quell these pirates forthwith, or we will atom bomb Mogadishu.

Only trouble is, we can't be bluffing. The Somalians have to stop this themselves.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    It's all very well and good 'outsiders' saying oh yeah the british government is right in not paying any ransom out etc etc etc, but if it's someone very dear to you who has been captured i'm sure you wouldn't hold the same view, i know if someone close to me was in that situation i would do everything possible to get hold of the money, regardless of the impact it may have on other people getting captured.

I can truly understand what you're saying but the truth of it is that once these terrorists get what they want, i.e. a paid ransom, then they aren't going to stop, they'll now kidnap another innocent party and make demands on their lives. They don't care about human life, they don't care about the feelings of their victims' families, all they care about is victory, money, whatever. Once you give in then you've lost the fight.

I'm thankful that the couple are now free of their captives but I'm still dismayed that someone has given in to these terrorists, it means that they've won and that means that there will be more to follow in the Chandler's footsteps.
  • Options
    snowy ghostsnowy ghost Posts: 40,114
    Forum Member
    more good news great stuff
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why is it still not on BBC website?
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I think you're absolutely correct here. I know if it was anyone close to me, or related to me, I would go to the ends of the earth to try and make something happen and i'm quite sure other people would as well.

It's absolutely right that the british government should not get involved though, for all the obvious reasons. But it should not stop people trying to rescue their loved ones at all.

What should probably happen now is that the Chandlers should go for the various book deals e.t.c., and then use the money to pay back the people who have given the money to save them.
  • Options
    cosmocosmo Posts: 26,840
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They appear to be a right boring pair.

If I kidnapped them I might end up cutting my own ears off and sending them through the post.
  • Options
    culturemancultureman Posts: 11,701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Does anyone else agree that given the treatment they have reportedly received, they are looking remarkably well?

If I saw them walking down the high street, I would barely give them a second glance.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I think you're absolutely correct here. I know if it was anyone close to me, or related to me, I would go to the ends of the earth to try and make something happen and i'm quite sure other people would as well.

It's absolutely right that the british government should not get involved though, for all the obvious reasons. But it should not stop people trying to rescue their loved ones at all.

What should probably happen now is that the Chandlers should go for the various book deals e.t.c., and then use the money to pay back the people who have given the money to save them.

Maybe, just maybe, they should never have ventured into dangerous waters to begin with. They were in charge of a sea-going vessel, I totally refuse to believe that they weren't aware of the dangers. They took a risk and they paid for it and luckily enough, not with their lives. Why should anyone pay a ransom to get them out of their naive, stupid decision? It was purely down to themselves and what they've now achieved is a reason to capture anyone else who dares to go where fools dare not go. Who's the fool in this situation?
  • Options
    PompeyBillPompeyBill Posts: 7,409
    Forum Member
    Exactly. It's well known that sailing about those waters, anywhere near Somalia, is hazardous so I've never had any great sympathy for the Chandlers. Obviously glad they're out and free but, really, it wasn't the cleverest thing to do.
  • Options
    asp746asp746 Posts: 7,286
    Forum Member
    how are these pirates able to overpower tankers etc. each tanker should have some army personnel on it and shoot to kill on sight......NO excuses.

it's absolutely scandalous that they have been able to get away with it for so long when the tankers are only going about their daily business. a chinese boat has just been targetted so let's see how the chinese deal with it.
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ~Twinkle~ wrote: »
    Maybe, just maybe, they should never have ventured into dangerous waters to begin with. They were in charge of a sea-going vessel, I totally refuse to believe that they weren't aware of the dangers.

As far as i'm aware, they were indeed made aware of the dangers but still chose to sail there anyway. So from that aspect, I have little sympathy for them because they could have easily avoided this whole situation.
    ~Twinkle~ wrote: »
    Why should anyone pay a ransom to get them out of their naive, stupid decision?

Well ask yourself this question - if they were your parents, what would you do ?. Would you sit there and think "Their own stupid fault - not interested" ??.

That's the point that's being made.
  • Options
    shackfanshackfan Posts: 15,461
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Still nothing on the BBC! Maybe it never happened!!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As far as I can gather, the Chandlers were about 1,000 miles from the coast of Somalia when their boat was boarded by the kidnappers (though I'm not sure of the exact distance). See the map on this page:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1329577/The-Chandlers-finally-released-Somali-pirates.html
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 26,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    shackfan wrote: »
    Still nothing on the BBC! Maybe it never happened!!!

It does make you wonder. The BBC are usually fast with news and even if a story is unconfirmed they tend to run with the unconfirmed angle. It is very odd.
  • Options
    cjsmummycjsmummy Posts: 11,079
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

WONDERFUL NEWS to wake up to! :):):):):)

Yes it was! I was really pleased to hear this this morning.:)