Does a partner's sexual past / relationships bother you?

Comments

• MidnightFalconMidnightFalcon Posts: 15,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Đirona wrote: »
    what did you learn?

Among other things - That you can't change the past only the future. That the number of previous partners is no indication of a persons moral fibre / trustworthiness and that sitting in judgement over a partners life "pre-me" is a good way to kill a relationship stone dead
    that yer both as bad as each other?:D

That too. :)
  • Stiffy78Stiffy78 Posts: 26,260
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    uglier to use people

Having consensual sex with another adult isn't using anybody. It's having fun together. As long as nobody is cheating on anybody I don't see how it makes anybody involved untrustworthy.
  • ĐironaĐirona Posts: 15,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Among other things - That you can't change the past only the future. That the number of previous partners is no indication of a persons moral fibre / trustworthiness and that sitting in judgement over a partners life pre-me is a good way to kill a relationship stone dead

i disagree
  • minxymoominxymoo Posts: 26,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No it doesnt bother me as long as they havent lied or cheated in the past.as long as theyve been 100% honest in their past relationships and are with me.what theyve done sexually id maybe rather not know about but i wouldnt throw a wobbler if they told me.weve all done it after all.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Stiffy78 wrote: »
    Having consensual sex with another adult isn't using anybody. It's having fun together. As long as nobody is cheating on anybody I don't see how it makes anybody involved untrustworthy.

depends on the number

i know it's an unpopular view but it's just my view

all this free and easiness about sex and past partners is a load of tosh, it shows lack of commitment or caring.
  • 2shy20072shy2007 Posts: 52,579
    Forum Member
    Of course it doesn't bother me,what is the point in being bothered about something you had no control over and cannot change?? If a person is bothered ,then the relationship cannot be very strong.

My hubby was married before and I deal with his ex on a regular basis, but not once have I ever felt bothered about the love and relationship they had before I knew him. I had a lot more partners than he did before we met, and it doesn't bother him either, I have past lovers on facebook,as they re friends, and he is totally fine with that.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    minxymoo wrote: »
    No it doesnt bother me as long as they havent lied or cheated in the past.as long as theyve been 100% honest in their past relationships and are with me.what theyve done sexually id maybe rather not know about but i wouldnt throw a wobbler if they told me.weve all done it after all.

all done what?
  • cosmocosmo Posts: 26,840
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The local slapper is alright for a rump but you wouldn't want to marry her.
  • Bonny1Bonny1 Posts: 8,502
    Forum Member
    how is it self-destroying to want to feel the person yer with doesn't see others [or you] as pieces of meat to be used?

I was referring, to your admittance, to your Jealously, not your perception, of a life partner.
  • kookiethekatkookiethekat Posts: 2,867
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I agree, all my sexual partners were fun, they thought the same of me, I wasn't in love with any of them and they weren't in love with me.

I remained close friends with many of them until I met my husband.

When I did fall in love (my husband) I did all the usual stuff, settled down, had kids and made a home.

I didn't hurt anyone and they didn't hurt me
    Forum Member
    depends on the number

all this free and easiness about sex and past partners is a load of tosh, it shows lack of commitment or caring.

SO what number of past lovers makes a person untrustworthy? If they sleep with one less tha that number they are trustworthy?? I do not understand that at all. Sometimes life does not pan out how we wish and relationships end,does that mean we should never look for love again in case our new partner is bothered about past loves or conquests.
  • Special K_Special K_ Posts: 6,320
    Forum Member
    depends on the number

Which number would that be then?
  • Bonny1Bonny1 Posts: 8,502
    Forum Member
    bubbsy wrote: »
    It'd only bother me if they brought up the subject themselves and confessed to hundreds of past lovers, in which case they're either an egomaniac or a sleaze (or heaven forbid, both).

and in which case, I'd expect him to be fabulously incredible in bed.. if not, the git also LIES... lol lol lol lol lol :D
  • MidnightFalconMidnightFalcon Posts: 15,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i disagree

That's your prerogative. :)

I trust my wife implicitly (extensive sexual history notwithstanding), and I've had personal experience (and emotional scars) to prove that a virtuous front does not necessarily mean a pure heart.
  • Stiffy78Stiffy78 Posts: 26,260
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    depends on the number

What's the cut off?
    Forum Member
    What's the cut off?

We need to know, so that we can tell whether we are untrustworthy or not ;)

Is it double figures?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bonny1 wrote: »
    I was referring, to your admittance, to your Jealously, not your perception, of a life partner.

it's all related, or maybe jealousy was the wrong word....if he'd had lots of partners tho' i wouldn't feel i could trust him entirely
    2shy2007 wrote: »
    SO what number of past lovers makes a person untrustworthy? If they sleep with one less tha that number they are trustworthy?? I do not understand that at all. Sometimes life does not pan out how we wish and relationships end,does that mean we should never look for love again in case our new partner is bothered about past loves or conquests.
    Special K_ wrote: »
    Which number would that be then?
    What's the cut off?

if i say 50 you'll say is 49 alright....it's not

so i don't know, let me do the sums ..
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,597
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It doesn't bother me in the slightest.

I'm now in a relationship with a man who was a boyfriend for a few months nearly 25 years ago. We've remained close friends throughout the intervening years, and he was in a relationship with one of my best mates for 19 years. He knows all about my misspent youth (well, misspent 20s and 30s, actually) and has helped me through the aftermath of much of it.

Despite the fact that I am vastly more sexually experienced than him, he's not at all bothered either. In fact, he has been known to say things like "Remember that night when you were really pissed and got off with so-and-so...." and quite often, I don't. He finds this very amusing, and keeps threatening to write my memoirs for me.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    2shy2007 wrote: »
    We need to know, so that we can tell whether we are untrustworthy or not ;)

Is it double figures?

Got to be treble at least, surely?

I suppose it depends how old you are. If you're 20, and have shagged 100 different people, then you've been very busy. If you're 70, it's barely one a year.
  • RAINBOWGIRL22RAINBOWGIRL22 Posts: 24,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OH has never even asked me for my 'magic number' as such... Nor me him!!!

We've discussed significant previous relationships etc.. but not actually gone into numbers...

I think we're pretty evenly matched with our sexual histories - we've both been in LTR before and had a bit of fun!!

After living together for 3 years I can't see any point asking now (and I really don't care to be honest!)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    OH has never even asked me for my 'magic number' as such... Nor me him!!!

We've discussed significant previous relationships etc.. but not actually gone into numbers...

I think we're pretty evenly matched with our sexual histories - we've both been in LTR before and had a bit of fun!!

After living together for 3 years I can't see any point asking now (and I really don't care to be honest!)

sometimes its better not to know i suppose.
  • kim1994kim1994 Posts: 7,332
    Forum Member
    I am not bothered by my OH sexual past. I also think the number of previous partners is irrelevant when it comes to trust. We have only really discussed the more 'serious' relationships in our past.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,845
    Forum Member
    Quite simply: no. I've dated people with high numbers in the past and would again, it's not something that has honestly occured to me to be bothered by.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    if i say 50 you'll say is 49 alright....it's not

so i don't know, let me do the sums ..

But if someone hasn't found the right person, and has therefore had lots of brief relationships, they could easily be with 12 different people in a year without being unfaithful or untrustworthy. Do that for 10 years, and you're up to 120.

The converse applies too. I know someone who's only slept with seven women. Five of those were while he was in a 25 year relationship with his recently ex partner. Low shag count, but definitely untrustworthy.
  • minxymoominxymoo Posts: 26,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    all done what?

played the field...as long as you didnt cheat i think its fine.it only irks me if people in relationships do the nasty on their partner,i personally couldnt forgive it.
    but if you have an "understanding"with someone thats different..