Options

Tipping Point

Comments

• Options
    LifeOfBryanLifeOfBryan Posts: 1,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    David1964 wrote: »
    I know it's not the hardest game show to fathom out, but i must have missed the bit where they explained the reason for choosing how many counters to gamble when they pick a category?

I realise that going for 3 counters gives him 3 to play with if he gets the question right, but why not just go for 3 each time, I'm missing something:o

I think the more counters you go for, the harder the question is.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,345
    Forum Member
    Wow, that was out of this world.

They have to commission a second series of this. And a third and fourth as well.

If that jackpot counter hadn't dropped at the end, I'd have taken the gamble today.
  • Options
    DANCE OF DEATHDANCE OF DEATH Posts: 4,781
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It speaks volumes when my wife likes it. It usually ends up being crap and Tipping Point is just that...crap.
  • Options
    David1964David1964 Posts: 1,226
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It speaks volumes when my wife likes it. It usually ends up being crap and Tipping Point is just that...crap.

Awww come on, give it a chance....it's only in its second week.:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Thanks, makes sense:D
  • Options
    Forum Member

That is true, but (and this is a very big but), why go for a 1 counter question, when you have a 1 in 3 chance of getting a 3 counter question correct just by picking a random answer. If you do know the answer you get 3 counters, if you are certain one of the three answers is incorrect, you still have a 50-50 chance of 3 counters by guessing between the other two answers.

If you go for a 1 counter question, the best you can do is get 1 counter, and if you get it wrong, you get nothing. That is a crazy option.

Even the 2 counter question is bad as the 3 counter questions don't seem significantly harder (and in any case, you always have a 1 in 3 chance with a random guess).
  • Options
    GoCompareThisGoCompareThis Posts: 10,260
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Some of those 3-counter questions weren't hard at all. I knew the gas in the champagne bottle.
  • Options
    abarthmanabarthman Posts: 8,501
    Forum Member
    Starting to like this show, but I've always liked the penny falls-type of arcade games in the amusement arcades.

If they introduce a sub-game where the contestants have to roll a giant penny and land it between two solid lines on a rolling surface, I'll be completely sold!
  • Options
    GoCompareThisGoCompareThis Posts: 10,260
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't get why they don't add the existing cash in the bank to the £10,000 won. That counter might as well have been worth £7,150.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I don't get why they don't add the existing cash in the bank to the £10,000 won. That counter might as well have been worth £7,150.

ITV isn't made of money. I think they're being pretty generous giving away as much as they are every weekday in what is a fairly low-audience slot (compared with prime-time weekend shows). Besides, think how much the machine must have cost to make...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    abarthman wrote: »
    Starting to like this show, but I've always liked the penny falls-type of arcade games in the amusement arcades.

If they introduce a sub-game where the contestants have to roll a giant penny and land it between two solid lines on a rolling surface, I'll be completely sold!

Ha! Both those machines take me back to my childhood in the late 60s - 70s.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 21,093
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Yes it is. When does The chase return?
  • Options
    wuffleswuffles Posts: 45,776
    Forum Member
    Ben Shepherd is no Bradley Walsh, that's for sure.
  • Options
    Mr TeacakeMr Teacake Posts: 6,593
    Forum Member
    PrinceGaz wrote: »
    That is true, but (and this is a very big but), why go for a 1 counter question, when you have a 1 in 3 chance of getting a 3 counter question correct just by picking a random answer. If you do know the answer you get 3 counters, if you are certain one of the three answers is incorrect, you still have a 50-50 chance of 3 counters by guessing between the other two answers.

If you go for a 1 counter question, the best you can do is get 1 counter, and if you get it wrong, you get nothing. That is a crazy option.

Even the 2 counter question is bad as the 3 counter questions don't seem significantly harder (and in any case, you always have a 1 in 3 chance with a random guess).

Are you sure there's a 1 counter difficulty level? I've only seen 2 or 3 counter questions....

This show has pioneered the term 'lateral movement'. :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 47
    Forum Member
    Mr Teacake wrote: »
    Are you sure there's a 1 counter difficulty level? I've only seen 2 or 3 counter questions....

Yes, there is definately a counter difficulty level. So easy question equals 1 counter etc.

I know this, as I am a contestant on the show.

And btw, Ben is a lovely guy, very genuine, not like some of the quiz hosts who can only look in the mirror. He likes a chat and brings his family to the show. Just my "counter/tuppence's worth"!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Mr Teacake wrote: »

I could be wrong, but I'm pretty certain I've heard Ben say you can choose a one, two or three counter question.

If no-one has ever opted for the one-counter question, it is probably because it would be a stupid thing to do :p (it's not like you'll ever know you're only one counter away from pushing the jackpot counter over the edge, because it's down to luck on how much if at all they push it each time)

Even the two-counter question is a very dubious choice as from what I've seen, the three-counter questions aren't much more difficult. It would require the three-counter question to be much harder than the two-counter question to not consider going for it, as it doesn't matter how difficult the question is, you have a 1 in 3 chance of getting it right anyway when you don't know the answer, which is worth 1 counter per question on average for not knowing the answer!

Edit: confirmed by above poster. And Ben does seem like a nice guy, I liked him on ITV's morning show before their new one started.
  • Options
    Apple_CrumbleApple_Crumble Posts: 21,748
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "Push, push, push, push, C'MON"
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Ben gets just as excited as the contestant watching the machine at work, I think he suits the show perfectly.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Ben gets just as excited as the contestant watching the machine at work, I think he suits the show perfectly.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "Push, push, push, push, C'MON"

Pregnancy questions are best posted in the advice forum.

:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Not long now for the highlight of my day: Tipping Point :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    PrinceGaz wrote: »
    Not long now for the highlight of my day: Tipping Point :)

I've taken some beta blockers to keep me calm,

I want to make sure i see the whole show out
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wow! Things are picking up when it's not me who bumps up the thread! :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    James is really enjoying himself
  • Options
    Forum Member
    That counter totally over the edge is the most amazing thing I've ever seen!
This discussion has been closed.