BBC 5 Live General Chit Chat

Comments

• davestokedavestoke Posts: 3,009
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wns_195 wrote: »
    I was surprised the Inverdale thing was still going on on Thursday, and that Broad not walking was still being discussed on Wednesday.

I was tuning around and came across that sob story. I couldn't work out what it was about until near the end. Anyway it got a bit too much and I turned it off before it finished. At least the paper review was more enjoyable.

I hadn't thought about it until reading your post, but they do appear to search the world for sob stories.

Actually wns, I felt less sorry when I found she had a film to publicise & an imminent book to flog!
  • superbike999superbike999 Posts: 453
    Forum Member
    davestoke wrote: »
    Actually wns, I felt less sorry when I found she had a film to publicise & an imminent book to flog!

That's usually the case with Nolan's sob stories which usually finish up with "Thank you so so much for telling us your story" and if appropriate, Look forward to seeing the filum
  • Reform FiveReform Five Posts: 219
    Forum Member
    Does anyone else wonder why Sam Walker is given a token slot on the Sunday morning breakfast show. The infantly more talentented Caroline Barker has proven she can do the lot present, sport, read the news............. So why is Walker there she seems to contribute little and being kind is very average? Eleanor Oldroyd is far better too. An opportunity for thr Beeb to save money I think?
  • Phil AnderPhil Ander Posts: 1,556
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wns_195 wrote: »
    Breaking news on Stephen Nolan's show: Some Brits committed a crime in another country and that country punished them. As usual 5 Live isn't focusing on the criminals breaking the law of another country; they're focusing on the harshness of the punishments the criminals received.

Honestly I am not a spokesman for 5 live. I only want to comment on that story because it featured on Sky News last night. The complaint by the three people and their families was that they were stitched up and only confessed when tortured. The issue had been raised by the Prime Minister with the UAE.

Now we can all have our views as to whether we believe them or not. And it may be that Stephen Nolan's treatment of the story was not satisfactory.

The only point I would make is that there was more to this story than three Brits breaking the laws of another country.
  • lordlozlordloz Posts: 3,285
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tedious drivel about golf meant hardly had 5 live on.....however the ridiculous hushed tones from McNamara and co. Explanation of what's happening complete with sartorial commentary on white trousers with red trousers and so on had me in hysterics....hilarious... :D

Then to another equally tedious Nolan show with some musician who maybe very good but the talk was all about his mental illness and being sectioned......I'd far rather hear about his actual music career than Nolan trying to extract as much misery as possible.......

Great sports results over weekend for Britain though after all the hype with the golf ....curiously an American got it :p

Saddened that no BBC news tv sport or 5live could at least respect and report the tragic loss of world superstore mc rider Andrea Antonelli in Moscow though......
    Usually it's only time they report bike racing when there's a death but didn't even bother this time... :(

Very sad for Andrea & his family ....condolences....
  • ancient wolfancient wolf Posts: 424
    Forum Member
    Monday Night Club dumped again this time for a royal baby special! Can understand it when Murray game overran and was played under the roof a few weeks ago but this! Maybe shows new controller priorites in news and sport.
  • Robbie01Robbie01 Posts: 10,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Royal Baby is the ultimate Bump Club. I'm sure 5 Live are quite happy about that. I'm surprised Colin and Edith aren't on stand by.
  • paulx23paulx23 Posts: 2,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Robbie01 wrote: »
    I'm surprised Colin and Edith aren't on stand by.
    I feel sick.
  • p_c_u_kp_c_u_k Posts: 8,806
    Forum Member
    Monday Night Club dumped again this time for a royal baby special! Can understand it when Murray game overran and was played under the roof a few weeks ago but this! Maybe shows new controller priorites in news and sport.

You're not going to get anything different from the BBC after the birth of a royal baby.

Whether you're a royalist or not, a royal baby isn't born every day - one hasn't been born in a very long time - and constitutionally it is significant as it becomes third in line to the throne, meaning he will almost certainly be king one day.

Can't speak for 5 Live this morning but BBC Breakfast seem to have a decent balance. Lead story on an otherwise quiet news week for a bit, then move on. The night it happens though it's obviously going to get earthquake coverage,
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Todays phone in on the baby is hysterical.
  • curmycurmy Posts: 4,725
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's certainly some very polarised views !
  • davethecuedavethecue Posts: 23,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good feature on frank Bruno with Tony Livesey standing in for Victoria.

(He seems to be on a lot lately)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 831
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Of course, once Victoria started sagging off you can't stop Bacon doing the same.
  • NatterleeNatterlee Posts: 309
    Forum Member
    5Live continuing to be hysterical and in full overload over the royal birth and continually interrupting/cutting off existing guests/interviewees to go 'live to the hospital' to find nothing is happening and all you can hear are a load of apparent journalists all shouting at the same time resulting in an unintelligible noise. When they do ask a question why is it so banal? "What do you think of your new grandson?" Is it really necessary to report the arrival of every visitor- and also comment on what each female visitor is wearing? How is that relevant?

Someone gets charged with the horrific murder of PC Keith Blakemore but this is deemed by 5Live to not be the main story? It really is time that the BBC was properly accountable to its listeners and exercised some restraint with regard to the Royal family. Not everyone is a fan.

The press got a lot of criticism in the aftermath of the death of Diana for their antics and obsession with her. They don't seem to learn and appear to be determined to transform/ portray Kate as the 'new' Diana and chase her accordingly. Sooner or later one of the new Prince's uncles (or father) is going to clash verbally and physically with the press and their intrusive behaviour. No wonder 'Spitting Image' portrayed journalists as pigs with trilby hats on...
  • James1953James1953 Posts: 4,840
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Natterlee wrote: »
    5Live continuing to be hysterical and in full overload over the royal birth . It really is time that the BBC was properly accountable to its listeners and exercised some restraint with regard to the Royal family. Not everyone is a fan.

Woah back off dude........don't you know Knighthoods are at stake here...;):D
  • Robbie01Robbie01 Posts: 10,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    5 Live have announced that James Alexander Gordon is retiring. I'll miss his wonderful voice every Saturday, even if it was normally to announce that Newcastle had got beat :(

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/23434089
  • Phil AnderPhil Ander Posts: 1,556
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had to laugh when the Daily Mail accused the BBC of overkill re the new arrival given that that August Journal devoted some 20 pages to the story.

Had the BBC down played the event rest assured the Daily Wail would have banged on about Leftie Republicans.

Yes the coveage on 5 live and everywhere else was over the top but entirely predictable given that they were competing with other outlets. Competition does not always mean more choice. It often means less.
  • wns_195wns_195 Posts: 13,568
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Robbie01 wrote: »
    5 Live have announced that James Alexander Gordon is retiring. I'll miss his wonderful voice every Saturday, even if it was normally to announce that Newcastle had got beat :(

James Alexander Gordon is a broadcasting legend who consistently read the football results perfectly. I would switch to 5 Live to hear him read the results when listening to the ootball at home, because even though I could get them on my BBC local radio station, nobody could read them as brilliantly as James Alexander Gordon.

I was concerned that the 2012-2013 season could be his last when a few months ago, I noticed a deterioration in his voice. Still James Alexander Gordon tried his best.

I wish James Alexander Gordon could go on reading the football results for ever, but sadly there comes a time when no matter how fantastic and dedicated you are at providing a useful and reliable service on which millions of people can rely, you have to retire. For James Alexander Gordon, that time is now.
  • jolly turnipjolly turnip Posts: 726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Phil Ander wrote: »
    I had to laugh when the Daily Mail accused the BBC of overkill re the new arrival given that that August Journal devoted some 20 pages to the story.

Had the BBC down played the event rest assured the Daily Wail would have banged on about Leftie Republicans.

Yes the coveage on 5 live and everywhere else was over the top but entirely predictable given that they were competing with other outlets. Competition does not always mean more choice. It often means less.

Good point that.

I would love the BBC to totally go for the jugular on the Daily Mail one day. Unlikely to happen though of course. It is a ridiculous publication and treats readers with contempt when feeding its antiBBC vitriol on a daily basis. Not saying that there haven't been some specific events at BBC that needed investing and reporting in recent months of course!
  • p_c_u_kp_c_u_k Posts: 8,806
    Forum Member
    Natterlee wrote: »
    Someone gets charged with the horrific murder of PC Keith Blakemore but this is deemed by 5Live to not be the main story? It really is time that the BBC was properly accountable to its listeners and exercised some restraint with regard to the Royal family. Not everyone is a fan.

The press got a lot of criticism in the aftermath of the death of Diana for their antics and obsession with her. They don't seem to learn and appear to be determined to transform/ portray Kate as the 'new' Diana and chase her accordingly. Sooner or later one of the new Prince's uncles (or father) is going to clash verbally and physically with the press and their intrusive behaviour. No wonder 'Spitting Image' portrayed journalists as pigs with trilby hats on...

To be brutal about it, there are a lot of murders in the UK on a daily or weekly basis and unfortunately there have been quite a few murders of police officers.

There hasn't been the birth of a royal child who will grow up to become king (and therefore, constitutionally, head of the UK and Commonwealth) for some decades. Whether you like the royal family or not, unless the UK suddenly becomes a republic then it's a big deal.

(Also, as a legal point on the police officer story, the minute someone is charged you're hugely limited in what you can say about a case due to the Contempt of Court Act. So even if a station wanted to lead with the story it would find itself severely limited in what it could say.)

I love the idea people just blame the 'evil press' without thinking about their influence on it. Put simply, the press would not be giving you wall-to-wall Kate coverage if there wasn't a demand for it. I'm fed up with hearing hypocritical morons complaining about newspaper articles while continuing to buy the papers, or whining about the evil sexism of the Daily Mail while making similar comments about other people on a daily basis. Papers are led by demand. If there was no demand for celebrity and royal coverage then the tabloids wouldn't do it.

More to the point, there's not a shortage of other news options out there these days. We no longer have three or four TV channels. There's tons on the web, al Jazeera's on Freeview - look out some other news content if that's what you're after.

Also, I'm afraid that as far as the royals go my attitude is that we pay quite a lot of money to keep them in a good position, so I'm not going to take too many privacy complaints seriously. Diana era coverage - yes, that obviously went too far. But things have calmed down substantially since then.
  • swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,110
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Anita Anand presented Newsnight tonight .............is that her first?......... I haven't noticed her before and I watch it most nights

jolly good she was as well................
  • Lone DrinkerLone Drinker Posts: 1,699
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Interesting views by Judge Jeff Blackett today

'Sgt Danny Nightingale avoided a jail sentence, but was told in a scathing judgement that he had endangered society and invented a "spurious defence".

He said the special forces veteran had “falsely impugned” the reputation of another SAS soldier and had misled the public during a high profile campaign to clear his name.
    He dismissed Sgt Nightingale’s insistence he did not know the weapon was under his bed as “inconceivable” and said his claims he was being made a scapegoat were “absolute nonsense”

and on and on it goes

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/defence/10202288/Judge-criticises-former-SAS-sniper-Danny-Nightingales-spurious-defence-as-he-avoids-jail.html

Any guesses which 5live daily presenter gave this criminal a platform to air his now utterly discredited nonense and threw a few pat a cake questions that portrayed him as some kind of victim ?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 429
    Forum Member
    Interesting views by Judge Jeff Blackett today

Any guesses which 5live daily presenter gave this criminal a platform to air his now utterly discredited nonense and threw a few pat a cake questions that portrayed him as some kind of victim ?

I'm sure Victoria Derbyshire has got Mrs Nightingale booked in for a follow-up already! Be interesting to listen to now.............. :rolleyes:

I find the whole story very odd and disturbing.It's amazing what bandwagons people will leap onto just because of the letters S.A.S. He had a firearm and ammunition in his room. Illegally. Changed his story completely the second time. No wonder the judge got fed up. I don't doubt they do incredibley courageous and brave things but they also mess up things too. And, as far as I know aren't above the law.

Now we hear he has been "gagged" by the army. Can the army just "gag" people?

Perhaps VD could interview the SAS officers who marched two reserves to their deaths? Rather than the wife of a twice convicted arms holder?...................
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 831
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Deleted
  • simonosimono Posts: 697
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Getting into the new late show with Phil Williams especially now he is on Thursday as well!
    The midnight guest is always great value and the quiz is good listening the last hour is a bit rushed though need to spend more time with the guest and maybe do the money news before midnight.
    Overall though a good listen.
This discussion has been closed.