LBC General Chit-Chat (Part 24)

SupportSupport Posts: 70,496
Administrator
OMG yes Was that at 4 am? (I thought he came on at 5?)
I thought I was having a nightmare or hearing an old show?
    Admin Notice: This thread is a continuation of: http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1705193

Comments

• jackyorkjackyork Posts: 6,608
      Forum Member
      Sorry to nick the first post I have been trying to do that on TS for years.:D
    • MartinRosenMartinRosen Posts: 33,063
      Forum Member
      ✭✭✭
      jackyork wrote: »
      Sorry to nick the first post I have been trying to do that on TS for years.:D

That's all right. It feels like we have turned over a new leaf, a new page in the book !

Hope the others find us soon :D
    • Charlie DrakeCharlie Drake Posts: 3,389
      Forum Member
      ✭✭✭
      That's all right. It feels like we have turned over a new leaf, a new page in the book !

Hope the others find us soon :D

Hello Martin, and all :)

Having spent the last 36 hours or so listening to LBC (yes, I know, I must get a life!), I can't help but be reminded of the new Rolling Stones song 'Gloom and Doom' (a real classic Stones song, imo, and a welcome return to form).

The recession, increasing utilities bills, increasing travel and insurance costs, suicide, snoopers charter, taxation, morning sickness ad nauseum etc. etc.

JHB is continuing the theme of suicide....and if I hear that rape advert one more time....:(

Time for me to take a break...'Tis the season to be merry, FFS! :confused:
      Forum Member
      ✭✭✭
      Hello Martin, and all :)

Having spent the last 36 hours or so listening to LBC (yes, I know, I must get a life!), I can't help but be reminded of the new Rolling Stones song 'Gloom and Doom' (a real classic Stones song, imo, and a welcome return to form).

The recession, increasing utilities bills, increasing travel and insurance costs, suicide, snoopers charter, taxation, morning sickness ad nauseum etc. etc.

Well there are seven topics there. I am sure you could expand them slightly - utility bills (Why do they all increase prices at the same time? ... Because the same economic pressures affect all the companies, or they are all in it together to fleece the customers!). Suicide - best ways of doing it ....(find an expert witness !!!). Insurance You are legally liable to insure your motor vehicle, but depending on your financial circumstances do you need too insure your home - the money you save from insurance could pay the bills when your house falls down !!!).

Must give the Stones record a listen (trouble is that Gold don't play it !).
      Forum Member
      ✭✭✭
      I know this isn't the place for record reviews, but OT, just listened and watched it on You Tube. I agree it is like the 'old' style, and I shall probably have nightmares tonight having watched the video. However, it is not as good as anything by Chinchin's favourite artist - Sir Cliff Richard!
      Forum Member
      ✭✭✭
      I know this isn't the place for record reviews, but OT, just listened and watched it on You Tube. I agree it is like the 'old' style, and I shall probably have nightmares tonight having watched the video. However, it is not as good as anything by Chinchin's favourite artist - Sir Cliff Richard!

'Summer Holiday', anyone? :)
    • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 700
      Forum Member
      ✭✭
      Haven't checked in for eons.

Groan - straight away I came across the usual 'can't understand why people are still tuning in to SA bla bla bla'. So pleasant. Plus ca change!

Then there was JM in for JOB. I hope this doesn't mean JOB's father has taken a turn for the worse. I heard James mention he was in hospital last Friday (stroke I think). All good thoughts being sent his way.

And arggh - the rape advert. Just argghh. Oh yes it's a noble cause but I'm not sure at all how appropriate it is to be hearing that throughout the day. Not on my own account but surely there are young kids being ferried hither and thither. I dunno - I just don't think it's suitable.
    • Oscar_Oscar_ Posts: 3,191
      Forum Member
      ✭✭✭
      Publicising a website that rape victims can turn to is not a bad thing, but we certainly don't need the dreadful and distressing amateur dramatics do we?

It is an absolute atrocity that the LBC management allow listeners' ears to be bombarded with such audio imagery. We could do without the menacing footsteps, threatening knocks at the door and vulgar messages of "We're watching you" and "We're coming for you" as well.

Someone in the upper echelons of Global needs to get a grip. I appreciate that commercials provide the financial revenue but they do not need to be done in that way in order to get a message across and in fact allowing them to be broadcast (especially with such frequency) must be counter-productive.

Many listeners have LBC on for long periods as a form of human companionship. It provides a backdrop of friendly and familiar voices chatting away. Some people even sleep with it on and do not want to have nightmares induced. I am certain that the failure of management to address this issue will be causing listeners to turn off. It's a bad policy and it's downright rude and insulting.
    • gurney-sladegurney-slade Posts: 29,655
      Forum Member
      ✭✭✭
      CarrieK wrote: »

Then there was JM in for JOB. I hope this doesn't mean JOB's father has taken a turn for the worse. I heard James mention he was in hospital last Friday (stroke I think). All good thoughts being sent his way.

I see the Max is in again tomorrow. I'd forgotten James' father is unwell. There's never a good time for family illness or bereavement but it's especially hard at this time of the year, if that's the reason for his absence.
      Forum Member
      ✭✭✭
      Oscar_ wrote: »
      Publicising a website that rape victims can turn to is not a bad thing, but we certainly don't need the dreadful and distressing amateur dramatics do we?

It is an absolute atrocity that the LBC management allow listeners' ears to be bombarded with such audio imagery. We could do without the menacing footsteps, threatening knocks at the door and vulgar messages of "We're watching you" and "We're coming for you" as well.

Someone in the upper echelons of Global needs to get a grip. I appreciate that commercials provide the financial revenue but they do not need to be done in that way in order to get a message across and in fact allowing them to be broadcast (especially with such frequency) must be counter-productive.

Many listeners have LBC on for long periods as a form of human companionship. It provides a backdrop of friendly and familiar voices chatting away. Some people even sleep with it on and do not want to have nightmares induced. I am certain that the failure of management to address this issue will be causing listeners to turn off. It's a bad policy and it's downright rude and insulting.

Very well said, Oscar. (hand claps).

There is also much irony in advertisements encouraging the listener to enter into accident litigation when at the same time you have a presenter suggesting that these cases raise the cost of insurance for everyone else.

You're quite right, of course, about the need for the station to raise advertising revenue, but surely they could be more ethical in their choice of which ones get aired and - dare I say it - vary the diet a little?
    • RegTheHedgeRegTheHedge Posts: 2,794
      Forum Member
      ✭✭✭

It is an absolute atrocity that the LBC management allow listeners' ears to be bombarded with such audio imagery. We could do without the menacing footsteps, threatening knocks at the door and vulgar messages "

HMRC using TV detector van style ads.Must be getting real desperate.
    • m4rk1m4rk1 Posts: 4,084
      Forum Member
      ✭✭✭
      Totally agree with Oscar and others about the rape ad. It is now aired almost as many times as the stations broadcast frequency.

The HMRC ad is another which immerses itself into the festive season. It sounds like something that could have come out of Nazi Germany with it's 'we're coming for you' tone.
    • TragicDoggieTragicDoggie Posts: 590
      Forum Member
      ✭✭
      HMRC using TV detector van style ads.Must be getting real desperate.

I am not sure how that will work in light of this.........

HMRC job cuts ‘undermining’ tax crackdown

Link:-
      http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/423ece70-a57b-11e1-a3b4-00144feabdc0.html#axzz2ElQnyTZs
      Forum Member
      ✭✭✭

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/423ece70-a57b-11e1-a3b4-00144feabdc0.html#axzz2ElQnyTZs

Didn't the Government put more money into the HMRC to cut down on tax dodgers, in the Autumn Statement ?
      Forum Member
      ✭✭✭
      JOB is a good broadcaster who occasionally gets on my wick for reasons I stated the other day. James Max is just about listenable and also gets on my wick again for reasons I stated the other day.

JOB must have been really pleased to hear his take on rail fares this morning. According to Max everyone CAN afford huge train fares, it's just that they moan about it. His proof was 'they are on the trains aren't they'? so they must be able to afford it. One snappy commuter correctly pointed out to him that if they spent every penny they had only on train fares they are on the trains but clearly *unable* to afford it.

What planet does this guy live on? Or is he put there just to wind the plebs up. If ever there was a person who had the philosophy of if you can't afford it work harder or leave the Capital altogether- it is him.

The worst part about him is he picks on people who are working all hours and still struggling. God knows what judgment he reseves for anyone else.

He's the type of person I've seen come a cropper under the what goes around comes around rule. And he won't get much sympathy here if he does.
      Forum Member
      ✭✭✭

It's a veiled threat to electricians and plumbers mainly. They have to register much of their work through various trade bodies and the Local Authority Building Control. It's one big paper chain that the Revenue can easily check back on due to the legislation.

All sinister sounding stuff made to sound like everyone's in the frame but they have their certain few preferred subjects they intend to catch.
    • TragicDoggieTragicDoggie Posts: 590
      Forum Member
      ✭✭
      Didn't the Government put more money into the HMRC to cut down on tax dodgers, in the Autumn Statement ?

I refer you to post #17 which I agree with.

Also.........

I think that the HMRC Ad campaign running on LBC at the moment is BS.

Be afraid, Be very afraid, HMRC is coming after you. Da Da, Da Da, Da.

Please, Most of us 'Get the joke'

They have to 'Shame' Starbucks etc into paying Tax YET they are trying to scare the rest of us out of our wits :)

Shame on you HMRC = Con/Lib Government.
    • makeba72makeba72 Posts: 5,723
      Forum Member
      Many listeners have LBC on for long periods as a form of human companionship. It provides a backdrop of friendly and familiar voices chatting away. .

I think that used to be a lot truer than it is nowadays. I understand the LBC has more listeners, but that they listen for a lot less time on average. A product of the 'serious' modern face of LBC and meaning that they are less concerned about repeating the same topics throughout the day.
    • Virgin QueenVirgin Queen Posts: 13,425
      Forum Member
      ✭✭

There's nothing wrong with Cliffy baby.
      He once won me a prize of two weeks in Mexico plus £1k spending money. :D

P.S. It's taken me all day to find you.
    • chinchinchinchin Posts: 125,669
      Forum Member
      ✭✭✭✭
      'Summer Holiday', anyone? :)

Lies! Lies! :mad::p
    • gurney-sladegurney-slade Posts: 29,655
      Forum Member
      ✭✭✭
      chinchin wrote: »

Did you manage to sign up for the FB Legends to get the free podcasts? I hope you aren't one of the trolls they seem to attract? :D

Morning all. :)
    • ~Twinkle~~Twinkle~ Posts: 8,165
      Forum Member

Cliffy baby? CLIFFY BABY? I ain't sayin' anover word.

Just popped in to say that Stevie baby (sorry VQ ;) ) hasn't been himself for the last few mornings, he's been coming out with intelligent responses to the Aussie phone call debacle. I sincerely hope that he isn't poorly. :D
      Forum Member
      ✭✭✭
      We haven't had the Garman ad, 'Carol of the Bells', this year. Love the music!
    • Star_BrightStar_Bright Posts: 11,341
      Forum Member
      ✭✭
      m4rk1 wrote: »
      JOB is a good broadcaster who occasionally gets on my wick for reasons I stated the other day. James Max is just about listenable and also gets on my wick again for reasons I stated the other day.

JOB must have been really pleased to hear his take on rail fares this morning. According to Max everyone CAN afford huge train fares, it's just that they moan about it. His proof was 'they are on the trains aren't they'? so they must be able to afford it. One snappy commuter correctly pointed out to him that if they spent every penny they had only on train fares they are on the trains but clearly *unable* to afford it.

What planet does this guy live on? Or is he put there just to wind the plebs up. If ever there was a person who had the philosophy of if you can't afford it work harder or leave the Capital altogether- it is him.

The worst part about him is he picks on people who are working all hours and still struggling. God knows what judgment he reseves for anyone else.

He's the type of person I've seen come a cropper under the what goes around comes around rule. And he won't get much sympathy here if he does.

I completely agree with you. "If you have been out of work for more than 3 months, what's your excuse?", oh **** off, James Max! I really can't stand that guy.
    This discussion has been closed.