The Ratings Thread (Part 45)

Comments

• derek500derek500 Posts: 24,890
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rzt wrote: »
    Sky Atlantic
    The Following 389k (2.3%)

As in the US, second episode up on the first. 270k last week.
  • Hit Em Up StyleHit Em Up Style Posts: 12,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I dont think its a generation thing with Dallas. 90210 has been hugely successful since its comeback and that was an old show.

I just think its on the wrong networks. Both here and in the US.
  • grahamzxygrahamzxy Posts: 11,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I dont think its a generation thing with Dallas. 90210 has been hugely successful since its comeback and that was an old show.

Dallas was huge here in the 1980s....sadly like Neighbours it has lost 90% of its viewers.....It is still a quality programme though....
  • C14EC14E Posts: 32,165
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I wouldn't say hugely successful is the right phrase. It started very well but ratings slumped through its first season. Since then it has been a poor to average performer for The CW. But what they did was totally give up on appealing to both sets and as of season 2 (?) they just focussed on the new kids rather than trying to link back to the old show all the time. As has been said, Dallas has misfired like so many revivals because it is trying to keep two very distinct audiences happy.

The Following seems to have had a very good response both here and in the US. Not often you see a new drama posting gains for its second episode. Looks like it could be a much needed new hit for Sky Atlantic.
  • fodg09fodg09 Posts: 3,602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Following growing week on week (and growing quite significantly) will be hugely welcomed at Sky (and FOX obviously). Atlantic is in dire need of some solid hits outside of Thrones, Blue Bloods and Boardwalk Empire. Imagine the timeshift figures are very strong as well - have heard that Atlantic content performs strongly on the Sky Go platform.
  • SamuelWSamuelW Posts: 8,447
    Forum Member
    Surprised Dallas did so bad, thought it would get over a million which most dramas get for Channel5 in that slot. Now what does it mean for the rest of the series, will Channel5 change the timeslot or keep it as it is?

FA Cup 5th round pick confirmed, Itv showing Oldham v Everton on Saturday 16 Feb with a 6oclock kick off. So will that late ko cause disruptions to their peak time programs?
  • chrisr21chrisr21 Posts: 1,198
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    derek500 wrote: »
    As in the US, second episode up on the first. 270k last week.

The fact that it was repeated on each of the 4 days following the initial broadcast probably helped figures rise. Wondering if anybody has those figures available?
  • ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SamuelW wrote: »
    Surprised Dallas did so bad, thought it would get over a million which most dramas get for Channel5 in that slot. Now what does it mean for the rest of the series, will Channel5 change the timeslot or keep it as it is?

FA Cup 5th round pick confirmed, Itv showing Oldham v Everton on Saturday 16 Feb with a 6oclock kick off. So will that late ko cause disruptions to their peak time programs?

It will certainly ruin STV's evening:D
  • BigOrangeBigOrange Posts: 59,672
    Forum Member

Disagree. It started strongly for TNT and C5. 3m for example watched the pilot in the UK, giving it every chance of becoming a hit from there. C5 could not have done more for the show in terms of marketing and also by fast-tracking the second season, but things have fallen apart alarmingly quickly both sides of the Atlantic. I am sure it would be doing better on say the BBC but what doesn't that apply to? I don't think this slump would have been avoided whatever channel it ended up on, for the reason stated earlier.
  • F1KenF1Ken Posts: 4,229
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Er, thanks Ken....

The crud theme tune and lyrics sum it up - and sung by Su Pollard too for christ's sake.

Here are the lyrics, which just sums up the quality of writing on the show:

A 7 year old could have done better.... :eek:

I loved it thoughts for those reasons. Being a railway enthusiast :sleep: I enjoyed it. People take comedy to seriously. I am (as you can probably) tell silly and that show was silly and that's why I loved it.

The theme tune was great! I can't get it out of my head now.

Not your cup of tea!:) Still I'd rather that than some of the stuff we get now. I'm going to buy the box set of that. I am in that kind of mood.

Ken:D
  • ronantronant Posts: 4,785
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    FA Cup picks:

16th Feb:
    Luton v Millwall (12.45 ESPN)
    Oldham v Everton (6.00 ITV)

17th Feb:
    Fourth Round Replay: Chelsea v Brentford (12.00 ITV)
    Man City v Leeds (2.00 ESPN)
    Huddersfield/Leicester v Wigan (3.55 ITV)

18th Feb:
    Man Utd v Reading (8.00 ESPN).
  • derek500derek500 Posts: 24,890
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chrisr21 wrote: »
    The fact that it was repeated on each of the 4 days following the initial broadcast probably helped figures rise. Wondering if anybody has those figures available?

...and we watched it on the ad free 'catch up' version. Wouldn't be surprised to see it aggregate around the 1m mark.
  • ScoreScore Posts: 17,285
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Shouldn't cause any disruptions. Splash finishes this week, they've got a film premiere on the 9th and Takeaway doesn't start until the 23rd, so this fits in nicely actually. It'll just be Take Me Out and Wossy after it.

The Sunday afternoon match will disrupt their Harry Potter season (I see they've got those rights back) but other than that there shouldn't be any other disruptions.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    NeilVW wrote: »

While checking the May 2012 pages of this thread I came across some discussion of the BBC's decision to repeat the first series of Death in Paradise on Sundays at that time. There was some criticism, but F1Ken said this:

But what are the chances of some of those 2.2 million people being new people? I think series two will rate well. 6 million material I think maybe 7. It's good the beeb are introducing it to more people and trying to help series two.

You were right, Ken! Although only two out of eight episodes were repeated in the end.

I don't believe it!!!! There you go people. Very,very rarely I speak sense. That's a very rare find Neil it might be worth some money. :D On second thought's maybe not. :o

I still think repeating quite new shows again is a good thing. It may damage your ratings by showing the repeat but you can seriously profit from benefits later.

DiP is not far of New Tricks now. There was a time when I was worried that New Tricks was there only big drama! and that All of BBC One's successful dramas were getting very old. Just think of the casualties Spooks, Waking The Dead, larkrise to candleford, Judge John Deed, the inspector lynley mysteries.

All gone now. And it has caused a flood of new stuff some has flopped but a lot has really hit the mark.

Ken
  • SamuelWSamuelW Posts: 8,447
    Forum Member
    Mrs Brown’s Boys to return to @BBCOne at Christmas - http://bbc.in/WxaJQY
    Following the huge success of the latest award-winning third series of Mrs Brown’s Boys, the BBC can announce that Danny Cohen, Controller, BBC One and Shane Allen, Controller, Comedy Commissioning, have commissioned two Christmas specials of BBC One’s In-House produced hit sit-com, Mrs Brown’s Boys, to air later this year.
  • ronantronant Posts: 4,785
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

That's the first slot of the BBC One Christmas Day 2013 schedule filled then (presumably one will be on Christmas Day this year). Bad news for Downton!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ronant wrote: »
    That's the first slot of the BBC One Christmas Day 2013 schedule filled then (presumably one will be on Christmas Day this year). Bad news for Downton!

They would be mad not to put it on Christmas day.

Ken
  • cylon6cylon6 Posts: 25,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ronant wrote: »
    F1Ken wrote: »
    They would be mad not to put it on Christmas day.

Ken

Danny Cohen must be breathing a sigh of relief that BBC1's biggest comedy is back for Christmas this year. Surely it'll be on Christmas Day.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cylon6 wrote: »
    Danny Cohen must be breathing a sigh of relief that BBC1's biggest comedy is back for Christmas this year. Surely it'll be on Christmas Day.

Most certainly. Miranda still up in the air though! They way they ended it they must come back.

More importantly will any of the sitcoms BBC One a launching this year be a success?

Ken
  • cylon6cylon6 Posts: 25,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Beeb were certainly desperate to cling onto it, because of course the creators Fegen and Norriss gave it up at the end of the 1994 series, with the final episode being a proper conclusion, only for the Beeb to decide to bring it back with new writers. That worked OK for two series but it was seriously running out of steam in the end.

I do remember the first series under the auspices of the new writers was in March 1996 on Tuesdays at 8.30 and they had to take it off every other week for football, and at the time I wondered why they'd given it such a hopeless slot that was being constantly interrupted.
    I think Fegen and Norris had a spectacular falling out and split but the BBC wanted The Brittas Empire to continue and brought in new writers. It was never quite the same when the original writers left.
  • jake lylejake lyle Posts: 6,146
    Forum Member

lmao i bet Shane Allen is loving his name being associated with that;):D
  • CUP OF TEAAA!CUP OF TEAAA! Posts: 4,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hope Miranda gets to be on Christmas day as well, followed by a 4th series. It's finally gained a lot of recognition, so it definitely needs another series. :)
  • rivkinrivkin Posts: 400
    Forum Member
    Something not quite right there, but either way ITV come out of it terribly poorly. Great Houses is simply not good enough for primetime ITV, and a Millionaire repeat is pathetic. It would probably hardly be any more expensive to make a new one. It's all very well saying ITV needn't bother on Tuesday but BBC1 is not unbeatable. Why can't they do better opposite Holby City when it's only getting five million viewers? They do alright on Mondays and Sundays against far greater competition.

how many years ago was it when itv had a regular tuesday winning line up before champions league moved from wednesdays and what was shown?? was it the bill at 8pm or ??
  • Jaycee DoveJaycee Dove Posts: 18,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    On Freeview, it launched halfway through the continuity announcement for Bargain Hunt, so the first half of the announcement was read by a northern woman, and the second half by a Welsh bloke. :rolleyes:

Was that the same continuity announcer who introduces Great British Railweay Journeys on BBC HD by saying it is time to join 'Hashtag sad man on a train' ?
  • Phil 2804Phil 2804 Posts: 21,846
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I just don't get what's up with Dallas, although I had to tell at least 5 of my fellow Dallas fans that it was back last night, including my parents who've loved the show since 1979. So what that says I don't know.

If we are not careful this is going to turn out like another Firefly scenario where a really good show gets cancelled. I hope I'm wrong because there is so much to love in this new series.
This discussion has been closed.