Options

Sequels that are better or commercially more successful than the original

BarbraBarbra Posts: 15,581
Forum Member
✭✭
Apologies if this has been done to death in the past but I have only rejoined the forum recently.

For me -

Aliens
Terminator 2
The Mummy Returns

Comments

• Options
    LMLM Posts: 63,510
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I much prefer Sister Act 2 than the first one
    It has a much more meaningful plot and a stronger supporting cast
  • Options
    cliffy91cliffy91 Posts: 1,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Godfather part 2
  • Options
    kendogukkendoguk Posts: 13,804
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wouldn't say terminator 2 or aliens were better than the first ones they are however prob the best two sequels I've seen. They would be equal to the first ones in my view.

The dark knight though :) that was better. But still begins was great too.
  • Options
    dosanjh1dosanjh1 Posts: 8,727
    Forum Member
    Mad max 2
  • Options
    RBRB Posts: 352
    Forum Member
    The Dark Knight
    The Empire Strikes Back
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Toy Story 2 and Toy Story 3 are both better than the first (great) film.
    Bill and Ted's Bogus Journey has the slight edge on Excellent Adventure
    Most of the Star Trek films are better than The Motion Picture
    Quite a few Bond films are better than Dr No
  • Options
    Ancient IDTVAncient IDTV Posts: 10,175
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Pink Panther Strikes Again
    Indiana Jones and The Last Crusade
    For A Few Dollars More
    Superman 2
    Hot Shots! Part Deux
    The Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian

I like Terminator 2 and Aliens, but I don't think they're superior sequels. The irritating kids in both films drag them down a bit imo, and I think Arnie's terminator was more effective before they 'humanised' him.

I thought The Mummy Returns was garbage. I like the original.
  • Options
    Pistol WhipPistol Whip Posts: 9,677
    Forum Member
    The Dark Knight
    Scream 2
  • Options
    ScooterwolfScooterwolf Posts: 2,645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aliens
  • Options
    NostalgicNostalgic Posts: 7,199
    Forum Member
    Addams Family Values
    Batman Returns
  • Options
    SanguiniusSanguinius Posts: 1,723
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mad Max 2 - is far better than one. A stronger and more coherent plot.

Aliens- The first Alien film is probably the best science fiction horror film of all time, Aliens is probably the best science fiction action film of all time. I love both but Aliens is relentless action, it never stops all the way through.

The Bourne Supremacy- I thought it was better than the Bourne identity. Karl Urban didn't talk much but I thought he was a good character match to Bourne. It had the best chase scene of the 3 films.

Star Trek: The Wrath of Khan- Perhaps a bit dated now but it's clearly superior to The Motion Picture. It had the best Shatner acting in any of the films and Ricardo Montalban was superb as Khan. Might be the best Trek film of all time.

I might have a few more to add later but these are my immediate thoughts.
  • Options
    BarbraBarbra Posts: 15,581
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I like Terminator 2 and Aliens, but I don't think they're superior sequels. The irritating kids in both films drag them down a bit imo, and I think Arnie's terminator was more effective before they 'humanised' him.

I must agree with you about the irritating kids in both films or ANY films (sorry kids and dotting parents!). I enjoy films where the female leads are given a grittier role rather than plain damsels in distress, like the 3 sequels I mentioned.
  • Options
    mialiciousmialicious Posts: 4,686
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    x-men 2
    evil dead 2
    spiderman 2
    superman 2
    the expendables 2
    blade 2
    lethal weapon 2
  • Options
    RonSwanson92RonSwanson92 Posts: 768
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Avengers was better than Iron Man 2, Thor and Captain America.
  • Options
    VerenceVerence Posts: 104,590
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    dosanjh1 wrote: »
    Mad max 2

It's also better than Mad Max 3
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Young Guns 2. Not sure if it actually did better in the box office but I prefer it, probably something to do with my teenage crush on Christian Slater. ;)
  • Options
    dee123dee123 Posts: 46,274
    Forum Member
    The Dark Knight
    Scream 2

I actually like Scream 2 the best. Laurie Metcalf from Rosanne and the Toy Story movies does a good crazy.
  • Options
    stripedcatstripedcat Posts: 6,689
    Forum Member
    The Godfather Part 2 - Perhaps the standard which other sequels should aspire to. Strangely, it doesn't seem to have as many iconic scenes as the original(e.g. horse's head and memorable quotes), but it is the stronger film. The whole father/son parallel storyline adds to the film.

Spiderman 2 - Dealing with how his life is changing(Peter Parker's) really helps elevate this film.

Superman 2 - The whole Lois/Clark love stuff and how he has to deal with the new enemies makes this film superior.

Toy Story 2 & 3 - I think the fact that both of these film deal with how life changes as you grow older makes them probably the greatest trilogy of all time.

Empire Strikes Back - The darkest of all the Star Wars films(even beating Revenge of the Sith). Better acting from the cast and much better dialogue. This film is pretty bleak for a U rated film. It is the most adult of the Star Wars films. I think that it's the least successful commercially.

Three Colours Red : The most sophisticated of the "Three Colours" trilogy. Dealing with human relationships and voyeurism to some extent.

Star Trek II : The Wrath of Khan - I think TMP had a lot of production problem, hence the director's cut of it many years later. That was more a cerebral sci fi(i.e. 2001). In director's cut it is probably a good film. The second film however, more that makes up for the original's deficiencies. Shatner(never a top flight actor) does some of his best work in that film. It deals with getting older, life and death, fate(Khan coming back to take his revenge). I love the whole natutical feeling of two starships squaring off against one another. That is how an action scene should be done. The ceti eels were sort of influenced by Alien. Khan might be a campy villain, but he is charismatic and his performance is worth watching.

X-Men 2 - I think the whole "teaming up with Magneto and co." storyline helps out here. It adds another dimension to this film.

Bill and Ted's Bogus Journey - The jokes seem to work better in this one.

Wayne's World 2 - Again, a slightly better sequel, mostly down to the jokes.

Adams Family 2 - I think the satire element of not being like a normal American family helps this film out much better.
  • Options
    JohnbeeJohnbee Posts: 4,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Final Destination 2 is the best in the series.

James Bond 2 (i.e. From Russia With Love) was better than Dr No, but I suppose Goldfinger was as well before they started going downhill.