Greek Government to close state broadcaster to save money

1234568»

Comments

• tghe-retfordtghe-retford Posts: 26,449
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kastoria wrote: »
    The 3 political parties are meeting and still have not agreed so elections are still not ruled out..
    The insistence to open NERIT is still strange as ERT is an established brand ( ert.gr has already been sold for 90! Euros and a staffer bought it for sentimental reasons and NERIT.gr had not been bought so a blog bought it ..)
    Considering how ERT are now reporting their reopening and that technicians are restarting the transmitters, I can't see how any refusal to accept the decision by the Council of State would be seen by the public in any other way than anger and repulsion.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7
    Forum Member
    Sorry had not seen my early post posted..
    People are still not happy.. The pr damage is shocking

It has been reported skai (Greek private Station) has been given ert rights to broadcast international games, EBU refused to recognise the deal and how it was done so they stole! Pictures from zdf!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kastoria wrote: »
    Sorry had not seen my early post posted..
    People are still not happy.. The pr damage is shocking

It has been reported skai (Greek private Station) has been given ert rights to broadcast international games, EBU refused to recognise the deal and how it was done so they stole! Pictures from zdf!
    I just hope the EBU keeps up pressure for the media landscape to be reformed in Greece, it's something we would in the UK not recognise or indeed, we would find intolerable in a sense of private competition and Government involvement - we thought Murdoch and political parties courting for his newspapers support was bad.

I hope ERT will maintain its approach of being independent, able to be critical of the Government and be able to ask awkward questions. My fear is that Greek politics won't allow it. Although the UK Government and media outlets couldn't be 100% clean of that in the past (ie. Margaret Thatcher and the BBC/Thames).
    Forum Member
    I hope EBU keep the pressure up for ERT to stay permanently and not until NERIT opens and for an independent consultant (from EBU hopefully) to help out.

Britain media landscape is amazing compared to Greece.
    EU should have been pressuring for a law that gives out legal permits to private channels first of all and bandwidths are not given free. This has been happening for 25 years and EU still hasn't intervened.

I do hope ERT keeps up the amazing work they have been doing in the past few days of independent journalism..
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And still, ERT is not on the air, in fact, if anything does start broadcasting again, it won't be ERT, but 30 employees running the whole interim service - TV, Radio and Internet services for 11.3m people, no doubt all New Democracy sympathisers and officials picked by Samaras.

As a comparison, QVC UK has 1,981 employees. More people work for the BBC at home than planned for the whole new interim broadcaster. Insanity and unsustainable plan by PM Samaras.
    Forum Member
    And still, ERT is not on the air, in fact, if anything does start broadcasting again, it won't be ERT, but 30 employees running the whole interim service - TV, Radio and Internet services for 11.3m people, no doubt all New Democracy sympathisers and officials picked by Samaras.

As a comparison, QVC UK has 1,981 employees. More people work for the BBC at home than planned for the whole new interim broadcaster. Insanity and unsustainable plan by PM Samaras.

Exactly.. Common sense is not that common in Greece..
    They have convinced a majority of people that ert is wasteful and BBC only employs 800!! People.
    Samaras is an idiot, but his advisors are even more dangerous..
  • mooxmoox Posts: 18,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As a comparison, QVC UK has 1,981 employees.

But how many of those are responsible for producing the TV channel vs. the rest of the staff who will be handling the logistics of mail order shopping?

According to http://www.chiswickw4.com/default.asp?section=trading&page=qvc002.htm, only 600 staff work in their Chiswick building, where the TV operation is based.
    More people work for the BBC at home than planned for the whole new interim broadcaster. Insanity and unsustainable plan by PM Samaras.

Not sure how that one is relevant.

It is rather easy to be an armchair director general but in reality none of us knows how many employees ERT really needs to provide a service, assuming that all of the employees are there because they are needed and because they were best for the job rather than a political appointment.
    Forum Member
    ERT has 3 channels and a lot of radio stations -and web sites so iits safe to assume that the suggested number of 30!!! People is not enough for 2 months..
    The latest is there was a leak that court further explained its decision and said that ert is closed and all staff fired but will be open as an interim.

The head of court now came out and said it did not come from him so there will be more to come..
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    moox wrote: »
    It is rather easy to be an armchair director general but in reality none of us knows how many employees ERT really needs to provide a service, assuming that all of the employees are there because they are needed and because they were best for the job rather than a political appointment.
    How would you run a countrywide PSB across a wide area including islands to 11.3 million people including TV, newsgathering, national and local radio and Internet services and transmitter technicians beside other things with just 30 people? To any sane, realistic individual, that idea is outside the realm of sanity and reality.

You also assume wrong, as its widely suspected the 30 employees will be Government sympathisers or supporters.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A forewarning, news coming through that riot police are preparing to storm ERT headquarters (and I assume other buildings) this weekend using force.

This could get very ugly and sinister.
  • mooxmoox Posts: 18,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How would you run a countrywide PSB across a wide area including islands to 11.3 million people including TV, newsgathering, national and local radio and Internet services and transmitter technicians beside other things with just 30 people? To any sane, realistic individual, that idea is outside the realm of sanity and reality.

You also assume wrong, as its widely suspected the 30 employees will be Government sympathisers or supporters.

I am simply saying that neither of us can really determine whether 30 or 3000 people is enough to run a public broadcaster.

30 does sound a bit low but it doesn't mean all 3000 are needed - especially if the intention is/was to run a reduced barebones service.
  • topupkrazytopupkrazy Posts: 437
    Forum Member
    is there any update in regards to reinstating ert, or is it finally over?
  • mlt11mlt11 Posts: 21,091
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The new Greek public broadcaster EDT now appears to be fully up and running.

The EBU has pulled the plug on the emergency service of the old ERT.

EDT is expected to end up with 2,000 staff compared to 2,700 previously at ERT.

http://www.theguardian.com/media/2013/aug/21/greek-emergency-tv-service-closes
  • DelennDelenn Posts: 1,269
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, I am not in Greece, so have no direct knowledge, but if you read twitter, the EBU has jumped the gun. DT plans to run a news service, but has not done so as of yet. The programme last night didn't have much news and has been criticised for being a government mouthpiece, ignoring negative news that ERT was reporting at the time.

Anyway, ERT is still streaming online (www.ertopen.com), just not on the EBU website.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Whilst everyone was asleep, it looks like the Greek Government got nasty against anyone still within ERT's main headquarters. It headed the main story on BBC World News last night from what I understand:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-24847278

Also, reports of violence and tear gas used against anyone involved in ERT:

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2013/11/06/1253726/-Greek-government-sends-riot-police-on-overnight-raid-of-ERT
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 298
    Forum Member
    Mm, there was an interview on the Today Programme this morning, with a journalist who'd snuck back into the building after being evicted, and was now hiding in a closet or something.

Strong stuff.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's worth nothing that not too long before the riot police moved into ERT's HQ, the Greek Government legally handed over the digital spectrum to a consortium of private broadcasters.