The Susannah question...

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 873
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nosaer wrote: »
    Well I'm voting for Kevin.

me too :)......I think they are a great couple and have fun.....she has 3 kids and I guess as a news reader she may seem a bit straight laced.......but on SCD she just lets herself go and throws herself into it......they have a fab connection with the general public .....I love them:D
  • Options
    wazzyboywazzyboy Posts: 13,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I actually like their hell for leather approach, if he gave her nice dances she could do no bother they' d have gone weeks back for being "meh".
  • Options
    coppertop1coppertop1 Posts: 4,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like her, sometimes these things are difficult to quantify in words. I will try.

I like her in her day job as I do all the BBC breakfast/news girls I think they are all good role models for girls, that it's not all about being in a girl band or marrying a footballer (that's not having a go at Abbey really it's just an analogy) that if you work hard & are tough enough you can break into a very male dominated pressure cooker job if that's what you want.

Apart from the fact that she's on TV she could be a Mum on the school run, she's seems very down to earth to me & if I met her on the school run I think I would like her as she would be funny & kind.

I like the fact that she's wants to do her best & like what she's done on the dance floor or not she lays it all on the line, she is not doing it half heartedly or based on what she thinks is 'appropriate' for her husband or granny to see. (Yes small dig at Sophie)

She has no previous dance experience or a musical background apart from some acting when she was a child.

Yes I like the relationship with Kevin that is also a factor.

I suppose ultimately I like her because I suspect we have a similar background & upbringing, I have been accused tonight of being a middle aged southerner or from Middle England ...the first I DEFINATELY am not the second I am not too sure what that is, but if it means that I come from a hard working family (military) who strived to do well at school, & jobs etc etc then I am guilty as charged. I like her what more can I say.
    I like her on the breakfast sofa and have thought she has done some excellant interviews and been tough with people that needed being tough with. I saw her interview David Cameron and not let him wriggle away from a tough subject.

I came to SCD with the expectation I would really like her. For me what I like in a newsreader comes across as hard and desperate on SCD.

I really dislike her have a go attitude that Kevin has as well, don't do that don't have a go, try to do it right, she has remained heavy footed throughout the programme and Kevin has constantly egged her on by giving her choreography that shows him off but leaves her looking worse than she is as he out dances her at every opportunity.

She has ended up believing her and Kevin's hype that trying hard and having a go is what is all about.

It really isn't , I liked Deborah she had a go but knew she wasn't the best , knew she had a lot to learn and tried to improve.

I just don't see that in Susannah every dance for me is marred by her have a go attitude, if only she would acknowledge her faults and we could see her and Kevin working on trying to correct them I would have more respect for them. Kevin knew at some point he would have to do the AT it is apparent he did not try to learn about it , just had a go and that really got on my wick too.
    This have a go attitude has made her a sloppy messy footed dancer who quite frankly has not really improved over the series.

This could be said for all of the others too by the way, but I see them trying to improve and all I see with both Kevin and Susannah is mucking about and having a go.

When I want any job done I want to see perfection not people having a go . I don't expect it of surgeons, dentist, air traffic controllers.

Others probably applaud them for their have a go attitude it drives me bonkers.
  • Options
    wazzyboywazzyboy Posts: 13,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Good job she ain' t a surgeon then. And that she doesn' t do her actual day job in a slapdash manner.
  • Options
    StansfieldStansfield Posts: 6,097
    Forum Member
    clareiow wrote: »
    After tonight's departure - which I have to say was completely wrong in my opinion - I really want to know one thing.

What is it that people like about Susannah that's keeping her in?

I've never *got* her. I like Kevin, but I find her uncomfortable to watch. So I'm intrigued to know what it is people see in her that I'm not.
    Me too - amazed she has a big public following...I found her false from day one, which was the first time I had seen her, never having watched Breakfast TV.
    {May have seen her interviewed on something in the past}
  • Options
    Jan2555*GG*Jan2555*GG* Posts: 11,064
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    coppertop1 wrote: »
    I like her on the breakfast sofa and have thought she has done some excellant interviews and been tough with people that needed being tough with. I saw her interview David Cameron and not let him wriggle away from a tough subject.

I came to SCD with the expectation I would really like her. For me what I like in a newsreader comes across as hard and desperate on SCD.

I really dislike her have a go attitude that Kevin has as well, don't do that don't have a go, try to do it right, she has remained heavy footed throughout the programme and Kevin has constantly egged her on by giving her choreography that shows him off but leaves her looking worse than she is as he out dances her at every opportunity.

She has ended up believing her and Kevin's hype that trying hard and having a go is what is all about.

It really isn't , I liked Deborah she had a go but knew she wasn't the best , knew she had a lot to learn and tried to improve.

I just don't see that in Susannah every dance for me is marred by her have a go attitude, if only she would acknowledge her faults and we could see her and Kevin working on trying to correct them I would have more respect for them. Kevin knew at some point he would have to do the AT it is apparent he did not try to learn about it , just had a go and that really got on my wick too.
    This have a go attitude has made her a sloppy messy footed dancer who quite frankly has not really improved over the series.

This could be said for all of the others too by the way, but I see them trying to improve and all I see with both Kevin and Susannah is mucking about and having a go.

When I want any job done I want to see perfection not people having a go . I don't expect it of surgeons, dentist, air traffic controllers.

Others probably applaud them for their have a go attitude it drives me bonkers.

Well not me & this thread asked me what I like about her & I said. I am not looking for dance perfection, if my favourite in any particular series happens to be the 'best' dancer then that's a bonus but it's not what Strictly is about for me. I don't know what you mean by 'acknowledge her faults' really, as the place to do that is in the training room & we don't see very much of that. When they have gone wrong like in the quickstep they did acknowledge it. Nobody in this series is a great dancer, they all have there good & bad, Natalie is the best but she doesn't make me smile, or laugh or go ah that was so sweet or stand up in my kitchen & applaud. The only dances this year that have made me do that were from Mark & Iveta (sadly missed) & Susannah & Kevin. I loved that manic ridiculous Samba, their waltz should have got at least one 10 & their Paso is the dance of this series for me. I can't do smilies on my iPad so I'm just going to say so there.

Ofcourse you don't expect it from a dentist or a doctor this is Saturday night entertainment for goodness sake.
  • Options
    missfrankiecatmissfrankiecat Posts: 8,388
    Forum Member
    wazzyboy wrote: »
    I actually like their hell for leather approach, if he gave her nice dances she could do no bother they' d have gone weeks back for being "meh".

Me too - no playing it safe. I really admire Kevin's nerve/lunacy in giving her some of the choreography she has had. And she really goes for it without moaning about how difficult it all is.
  • Options
    CadivaCadiva Posts: 18,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    coppertop1 wrote: »
    Stuff

I think you may have missed the bit of the thread where this was asking people why they liked and voted for Susanna, not why they didn't.
  • Options
    Sherlock_HolmesSherlock_Holmes Posts: 6,882
    Forum Member
    Think that Susanna represents the typical British housewife, they can live Strictly through her. Why not the other women? Well, I don't think your typical houswife looks like Abbey Clancy for instance (*runs out of thread*).
  • Options
    MonksealMonkseal Posts: 12,017
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Think that Susanna represents the typical British housewife, they can live Strictly through her. Why not the other women? Well, I don't think your typical houswife looks like Abbey Clancy for instance (*runs out of thread*).

I doubt they much look like Susanna Reid either.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Me too - no playing it safe. I really admire Kevin's nerve/lunacy in giving her some of the choreography she has had. And she really goes for it without moaning about how difficult it all is.

Yes I forgot that too. No complaining about stuff or I'm finding it so hard. Head down & get on with It.

By the way fans on the strictly website home page watch the goodbye Ashley clip. Kevin is hilarious about the swingathon.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Monkseal wrote: »

How very dare you !!!! How do you know.....oh yes you've seen me on twitter.
  • Options
    sloggaslogga Posts: 176
    Forum Member
    me too :)......I think they are a great couple and have fun.....she has 3 kids and I guess as a news reader she may seem a bit straight laced.......but on SCD she just lets herself go and throws herself into it......they have a fab connection with the general public .....I love them:D

Well said
  • Options
    DancingQueen74DancingQueen74 Posts: 883
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cadiva wrote: »
    Don't know about Susannah but I like Susanna because I enjoy her partnership with Kevin, I like that she always gives it 100% even when she knows the routine isn't particularly good, because she exudes the joy of dance that I know myself from doing it and because she's a 40-odd mother of three who provides a great example to demonstrate that you don't have to be technically perfect to love dancing or to entertain.
    Hey you, Cadiva, I like you! That was a great post, and very well-put!:) I like Susanna's attitude and she does exude the joy of dance. She entertains, and that's what I look for!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well not me & this thread asked me what I like about her & I said. I am not looking for dance perfection, if my favourite in any particular series happens to be the 'best' dancer then that's a bonus but it's not what Strictly is about for me. I don't know what you mean by 'acknowledge her faults' really, as the place to do that is in the training room & we don't see very much of that. When they have gone wrong like in the quickstep they did acknowledge it. Nobody in this series is a great dancer, they all have there good & bad, Natalie is the best but she doesn't make me smile, or laugh or go ah that was so sweet or stand up in my kitchen & applaud. The only dances this year that have made me do that were from Mark & Iveta (sadly missed) & Susannah & Kevin. I loved that manic ridiculous Samba, their waltz should have got at least one 10 & their Paso is the dance of this series for me. I can't do smilies on my iPad so I'm just going to say so there.

Ofcourse you don't expect it from a dentist or a doctor this is Saturday night entertainment for goodness sake.
    I like you too- well said.
    You've articulated a lot of what I wanted to say. I've not warmed to any other couple this year like Susanna and Kevin. They are very warm and genuine (whatever some people on here might say-they don't know them well enough to judge!) And at leadt Susanna does recognise when her dances haven't been perfect- she does acknowledge her faults.
    I'm a fan and I'm proud.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gosh I feel like I suddenly have a support group. I knew you were all out there somewhere!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Monkseal wrote: »

Well, I was talking more about the shape of the body rather then the face (I was being subtle for a reason...my own wellbeing). Mind you, as a foreigner, it slightly scares me if this is the poster woman for the british housewives association (have this image of her chasing the paperboy around the house, with her samba face on). Anyway, the record is probably one week away (oldest Strictly winner).
  • Options
    los.kavlos.kav Posts: 8,053
    Forum Member
    clareiow wrote: »
    After tonight's departure - which I have to say was completely wrong in my opinion - I really want to know one thing.

What is it that people like about Susannah that's keeping her in?

I've never *got* her. I like Kevin, but I find her uncomfortable to watch. So I'm intrigued to know what it is people see in her that I'm not.

Argh! Me too! Kevin is great - I remember a ton of things about his dances - but Susanna is blah. She fades into the background too much. I think this might be because I'd never heard of her before this series of Strictly, but I'd never heard of Kevin Fromgrimbsby before either, and he's a total legend in my eyes now.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gosh I feel like I suddenly have a support group. I knew you were all out there somewhere!!
    Yep, we're here! Just that some of us haven't spoken out so much before (in defence of Susanna... Oh and in voting for who we like (rather than who other people think we should like!)
    :D
  • Options
    zelda fanzelda fan Posts: 6,330
    Forum Member
    I love susannah and kevin because they are the only ones with a good partnership this series.
  • Options
    BuddyBontheNetBuddyBontheNet Posts: 28,165
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Hang in there! I just don't get all the accusations of smugness, etc. All I see is a confident woman having a ball, trying her best - and doing a great job most of the time too.

I'd love her to win. :)
  • Options
    Jennifer_FJennifer_F Posts: 4,443
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jxne wrote: »
    I don't know about everyone else, but I vote for her because: I love her, I love Kevin, I love their partnership, she seems to be loving it, I love her dances, she always performs, she is so funny and I just really want her and Kevin to win :)

My sentiments exactly.
  • Options
    clareiowclareiow Posts: 303
    Forum Member
    It's interesting to see what everyone thinks and feels about them as a partnership - I get the feeling she wouldn't have as much support had she been given another pro. Kevin is key.

On a personal level, I'm a journalist (local paper) and we aren't straight laced by any stretch! I find it funny how people think that because you deal in serious stuff all the time, you have to be like that all the time lol!

It does bother me that someone though (no matter how much she loves it) goes so far and could even win when the technical level isn't as high and (in the case of the quickstep) there are loads of mistakes.
  • Options
    millie3millie3 Posts: 1,134
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like her, sometimes these things are difficult to quantify in words. I will try.

I like her in her day job as I do all the BBC breakfast/news girls I think they are all good role models for girls, that it's not all about being in a girl band or marrying a footballer (that's not having a go at Abbey really it's just an analogy) that if you work hard & are tough enough you can break into a very male dominated pressure cooker job if that's what you want.

Apart from the fact that she's on TV she could be a Mum on the school run, she's seems very down to earth to me & if I met her on the school run I think I would like her as she would be funny & kind.

I like the fact that she's wants to do her best & like what she's done on the dance floor or not she lays it all on the line, she is not doing it half heartedly or based on what she thinks is 'appropriate' for her husband or granny to see. (Yes small dig at Sophie)

She has no previous dance experience or a musical background apart from some acting when she was a child.

Yes I like the relationship with Kevin that is also a factor.

I suppose ultimately I like her because I suspect we have a similar background & upbringing, I have been accused tonight of being a middle aged southerner or from Middle England ...the first I DEFINATELY am not the second I am not too sure what that is, but if it means that I come from a hard working family (military) who strived to do well at school, & jobs etc etc then I am guilty as charged. I like her what more can I say.

Oh I like this thread. At last people with similar views as myself. How anyone can say she is uncomfortable to watch is beyond me. I think some younger posters must have a problem with her looking glamorous in her forties and think she should be at home knitting!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    millie3 wrote: »
    Oh I like this thread. At last people with similar views as myself. How anyone can say she is uncomfortable to watch is beyond me. I think some younger posters must have a problem with her looking glamorous in her forties and think she should be at home knitting!
    Why would younger posters (of all people) have a problem with her? Surely, they would be least intimidated by her looks??