Options

.docx - OpenOffice or Libre Office?

Can either of these two free office suites save documents in the .docx format?

:)

Comments

• Options
    mred2000mred2000 Posts: 10,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dunno, why is it important?
    As far as I know, without checking, anything that can open docx can certainly open doc and rtf files which Libre and oo can certainly save as.
  • Options
    EosterwineEosterwine Posts: 108
    Forum Member
    I don't have any option to save as .docx in Open Office, only the older .doc. So I don't think you can save, only read.
  • Options
    henrywilliams58henrywilliams58 Posts: 4,963
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ...... wrong thread perhaps ...
  • Options
    albertdalbertd Posts: 14,362
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have an old version of LibreOffice (3.5.1.2) installed though I don't normally use it as I have Office 2007. I just tried saving a .docx file from Writer and it went OK and opened OK in Word.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    Libre Office has improved .docx compatibility, but personally I've never really used the format. My daughter tells me she has done homework fine with it though.
  • Options
    BeethovensPianoBeethovensPiano Posts: 11,689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    OK thanks everyone, I will have a look at both.
  • Options
    Esot-ericEsot-eric Posts: 1,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OpenOffice.org refused to add support for .docx when it was maintained by Sun and then Oracle.

The .docx patches were maintained separately (but included in the versions of OpenOffice.org that pretty much every Linux distro shipped) and were one of the first things merged when LibreOffice forked, so LibreOffice had support right from the start.

It's possible that OpenOffice.org has added support for .docx now that it's maintained by Apache but LibreOffice is so far ahead of OpenOffice.org now that there's really no reason to use OOo over LO.
  • Options
    BeethovensPianoBeethovensPiano Posts: 11,689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've installed LibreOffice now.