Options

Honestly Healthy

louise1966louise1966 Posts: 4,012
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Natasha Corrett has established a vegetarian healthy eating business, focusing on an alkaline diet. She has written a cookbook on this lifestyle which, as a vegetarian myself, I am quite interested in incorporating into my diet.
She operates a service, the Fridge Fill Plan, where the food is delivered to you, a bit like diet chef, customised for your own particular wants/needs. I suppose if you are a business man/woman, who works long hours, this may be an ideal solution for you. For the majority of us, however, I feel it may just be outside of our price range. A 12 week supply costs £2280 for the business plan. Multiply that by the number of months in a year, and food alone will cost £9120. In comparison, a 3 day soup and smoothie plan costs an exorbitant £199.
I really do believe in the benefits of eating an alkaline diet, including spirulina and wheatgrass, but I think I'll buy her cookbook for £16 and make the recipes myself.
Ms Corrett is, btw, the daughter of Kelly Hoppen. I have quite a few pieces of Kelly's bed linen and it is quite expensive, comparatively, but also vfm.
Having a dragon for a mother, it is not surprising Natasha has a head for making money.

Comments

• Options
    BlueEyedMrsPBlueEyedMrsP Posts: 12,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As you say, it seems like something aimed at a particular niche of clientele.. wealthy and limited time.

As far as 'diets' go, I think any of them that have food delivered is not going to give long-lasting results unless you plan on staying on it for the rest of your life. If a person is overweight, it's usually because they over-eat and/or don't know how to cook nutritious food. Having someone else do the work for you doesn't really teach you anything, but then that's why diets in general don't work and lifestyle changes do. Or maybe there's an assumption that being on that kind of plan for a while the mindset will just be adopted through osmosis.:D

If someone does a strict diet to lose weight, they may achieve a goal of weight-loss, but then what? Do they continue on that strict diet? That's unrealistic. Go back to their old habits and gain weight? Many do. There will always be a problem with regaining the weight if people don't think of it as a lifestyle change. Too many get caught up in a number on a scale as their only focus, and while losing weight to reduce health risks is a good thing, there has to be more thought given to what happens after.
  • Options
    epicurianepicurian Posts: 19,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What is an alkaline diet meant to achieve?
  • Options
    BlueEyedMrsPBlueEyedMrsP Posts: 12,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    epicurian wrote: »

Here's an article if you're interested:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/foodanddrink/recipes/9189022/Eat-the-alkaline-way-recipes-for-a-healthier-you.html

It seems the basic premise is that many ailments are caused by foods too 'acidic' and the alkaline diet is meant to limit that.

"The perfect way to balance alkaline-forming and acid-forming foods, if you are someone who eats chicken, fish or meat, is to follow the 80/20 rule: have plenty of vegetables, served on a base of grains, with your protein perched on top. This way you can ensure that the majority of your meal is alkaline, without having to sacrifice those foods that you really enjoy."

Sounds like common sense eating with a new name given to it for marketing purposes.
  • Options
    molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Change your PH levels supposed to stop you getting cancer and help you lose weight.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Call me sceptical.

Our stomachs are so acidic that nothing can permanently change its acidity. Even antacids only last a few minutes. All the food that leaves your stomach is acidic and then once in the intestines, excretions from the pancreas neutralise the acid. Our bodies have vital homeostatic mechanisms that keep the acidity of the blood stream within a narrow range.

It's true that cancer cells cannot survive an alkaline environment, but neither can any of the other cells in your body. If your blood is too acidic, because, say, you have diabetes, then you need a doctor, not wheatgrass.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Call me sceptical.

Our stomachs are so acidic that nothing can permanently change its acidity. Even antacids only last a few minutes. All the food that leaves your stomach is acidic and then once in the intestines, excretions from the pancreas neutralise the acid. Our bodies have vital homeostatic mechanisms that keep the acidity of the blood stream within a narrow range.

It's true that cancer cells cannot survive an alkaline environment, but neither can any of the other cells in your body. If your blood is too acidic, because, say, you have diabetes, then you need a doctor, not wheatgrass.

Completely agree with you, interesting for me as a cancer survivor is those who adopted these odd diets did not do as well as those of us who didn't in the clinic I attended. Purely anecdotal I know but very telling I thought.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    molliepops wrote: »
    Completely agree with you, interesting for me as a cancer survivor is those who adopted these odd diets did not do as well as those of us who didn't in the clinic I attended. Purely anecdotal I know but very telling I thought.

The OP said Natasha has a head for making money. I wonder if she's acquainted with this guy: "pH Miracle" Author Accused of Practicing Medicine Without a License

This quack claimed his pH diet could cure cancer, lupus, type 1 diabetes, and the rest. Thank god he's been arrested.

Snake oil salesmen make me so angry.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes they prey on peoples worries I always think. Oddly I have less problem with the diet in the OP as it's so expensive but that shows my lack of empathy with rich people I guess :blush:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,232
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The diet plan that has stood the test of time is the: All things in moderation diet.

Food fads come and go, and today's piece of research will contradict what was discovered yesterday, and so on.

What research has shown over and over again over the past 50 years is that dieting nearly aways makes for short-term change and people fall back into their previous body shape and eating patterns.

Weight Watchers and the like will search out exceptions to the rule to promote their pay-more-for-less products, and dietary advice, etc, but that's the nature of marketing.

Radical diet plans can be as big a risk to health as being very overweight can.

The All things in moderation diet plan is totally free, and I don't think anyone has written a book on it because after the first sentence there isn't a lot more to say.
  • Options
    MoggioMoggio Posts: 4,289
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Alkaline diet?

Doesn't sound like a load of old nonsense at all.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Peter_CJ wrote: »
    The diet plan that has stood the test of time is the: All things in moderation diet.

Food fads come and go, and today's piece of research will contradict what was discovered yesterday, and so on.

What research has shown over and over again over the past 50 years is that dieting nearly aways makes for short-term change and people fall back into their previous body shape and eating patterns.

Weight Watchers and the like will search out exceptions to the rule to promote their pay-more-for-less products, and dietary advice, etc, but that's the nature of marketing.

Radical diet plans can be as big a risk to health as being very overweight can.

The All things in moderation diet plan is totally free, and I don't think anyone has written a book on it because after the first sentence there isn't a lot more to say.

That works well if you have no intolerances/ allergies and no diabetes. But yes other than that works well :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,232
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That works well if you have no intolerances/ allergies and no diabetes. But yes other than that works well :D

Absolutely - I used the term diet tongue in cheek, and the old adage as a general guideline. If food diagrees, then obviously best to avoid it.
  • Options
    towerstowers Posts: 12,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Except an 11 year old girl has had her quite severe peanut allergy cured by having a very controlled amount every day for several weeks & months, to the point that she can now eat peanuts without having to go to hospital.

Obviously diabetes is a different kettle of fish but allergies / intolerances may not be forever.,