Options

If we evolved from apes, why are there still apes ?

BlizzardUKBlizzardUK Posts: 4,965
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Just curious. I don't get why some would slowly evolve in to humans but not all. You don't still see Giraffes with small necks, when supposedly they evolved to longer necks to eat from trees.

Also I am agnostic, and often hear of people saying how much of a genius Darwin is for his evolution theory, but atheists don't seem open minded enough to consider that perhaps a God of some kind actually could have created evolution. At the end of the day, none of us know for sure how we got here, and how the first particle was created, if a God or supreme being didn't create us then something still must have created the first speck of dust or soil or earth or whatever. Where is evolution supposedly meant to have begun ?

Comments

• Options
    vosnevosne Posts: 14,131
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The answer to this is pretty readily available.
  • Options
    TheTruth1983TheTruth1983 Posts: 13,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    http://www.evolutionfaq.com/faq/if-man-evolved-ape-then-why-are-there-still-apes
    Firstly, man did not evolve from modern apes. Man and modern apes share a common ancestor, which is extinct. However, the question comes from a flawed understanding of how evolution works. Evolution is not a straight line, where entire populations change into new species all at the same time. Often times, a small group breaks away from a population and begins to evolve independently of the source group. The source group does not need to go extinct, and is generally unaffected by the development of the smaller group. This is called "Allopatric Speciation," and it is just one of many ways that new species can evolve. There is nothing in evolutionary theory which states a source population must go extinct in order for new species to evolve.
  • Options
    Richard46Richard46 Posts: 59,834
    Forum Member
    BlizzardUK wrote: »
    Just curious. I don't get why some would slowly evolve in to humans but not all. You don't still see Giraffes with small necks, when supposedly they evolved to longer necks to eat from trees.

Also I am agnostic, and often hear of people saying how much of a genius Darwin is for his evolution theory, but atheists don't seem open minded enough to consider that perhaps a God of some kind actually could have created evolution. At the end of the day, none of us know for sure how we got here, and how the first particle was created, if a God or supreme being didn't create us then something still must have created the first speck of dust or soil or earth or whatever. Where is evolution supposedly meant to have begun ?

If 'something' did you have only posed the next question; who/what created that 'something'.?
  • Options
    KMKYWAPKMKYWAP Posts: 1,769
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sigh.
  • Options
    BlizzardUKBlizzardUK Posts: 4,965
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Richard46 wrote: »
    If 'something' did you have only posed the next question; who/what created that 'something'.?

Okay, that is true, I agree, but I still can't see how evolution evolved from nothing too then. This is why I choose to be agnostic, nothing seems plausible.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36,630
    Forum Member
    Okay, that is true, I agree, but I still can't see how evolution evolved from nothing too then. This is why I choose to be agnostic, nothing seems plausible.

Evolution didn't evolve from nothing.

If you are talking about the big bang, well many scientists don't subscribe to the something from nothing belief, they believe that something must have been there before, although they have no idea what. There are competing theories about what could have been in existence before the big bang.
  • Options
    Richard46Richard46 Posts: 59,834
    Forum Member

Nothing wrong with being agnostic but In that case you now have two questions rather than an answer; what/how/who is God and what/how etc is the Universe. :)
  • Options
    jzeejzee Posts: 25,498
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just curious. I don't get why some would slowly evolve in to humans but not all.
    What makes you think different groups of apes would be subjected to precisely the same evolutionary tests or experiences?
  • Options
    InMyArmsInMyArms Posts: 50,792
    Forum Member
    Have you never played Pokemon? I evolved my Magikarp into Gyarados and yet there were still a tonne of Magikarp along route 22.

:p
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The idea that there cannot have been anything before the big bang therefore it must have been God is a ludicrous theory.

We don't know how some (relatively) basic particles came to be and reacted to cause the big bang...so the default is that something even more complicated existed before (God).

:confused::confused::confused::confused:
  • Options
    dee123dee123 Posts: 46,271
    Forum Member
    vosne wrote: »
    The answer to this is pretty readily available.

Not to stupid people.
  • Options
    Sara WebbSara Webb Posts: 7,885
    Forum Member
    To the person in front of me in the queue: kindly hand me the revolver when you're finished with it. Ta.
  • Options
    trayhop123trayhop123 Posts: 886
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sara Webb wrote: »
    To the person in front of me in the queue: kindly hand me the revolver when you're finished with it. Ta.[/QUOTE

how ? lol
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Darwin was a christian:confused:
  • Options
    trayhop123trayhop123 Posts: 886
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    god said '' let there be light'',,,,,,,,,,,

,,,,,,chuck norris said '' say please''
  • Options
    Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member

Right, and I guess OKAPI are just a figment of my imagination. ;-)

TBH, I have no idea about the genetics of Giraffes but I'd bet there are a few animals around which share the same genetic heritage as Giraffes, just as we share the same genetic heritage as apes, from whatever was our common ancestor.

Apes didn't turn into humans.
    What happened was that some kind of proto-ape evolved into humans and into modern apes.

In just the same was as some kind of proto-Akapi spawned modern Okapi and Giraffes.

Don't have any problem with this at all.
    IIRC, I don't think Darwin did either. :confused:

If you adopt this sort of attitude there's no reason why atheists and religious types need to argue about evolution at all.

Trouble is, some hard-headed god-botherers insist on clinging to the whole "god created man in his image" thing, which forces them to deny the theory of evolution cos it'd mean either the bible was lying or that god was some kind of proto-ape and we've evolved into something "better than god" and neither of those possibilities would ever do, so they're forced to insist that we, and everything else, haven't actually evolved at all.

And make themselves look a bit silly in the process.
  • Options
    Uncle_PhilUncle_Phil Posts: 490
    Forum Member
    If pugs evolved from wolves, why are there still wolves?
  • Options
    Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    Uncle_Phil wrote: »
    If pugs evolved from wolves, why are there still wolves?

*sigh* :(
  • Options
    Uncle_PhilUncle_Phil Posts: 490
    Forum Member
    What?
  • Options
    HoffmisterHoffmister Posts: 12,030
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Its just like the good book says "Humans may be related to monkies but they rarely invite them round for tea"

They also say they are still looking for the missing link...I still reckon I married into that family
  • Options
    ChristmasCakeChristmasCake Posts: 26,078
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's not evolution's job to explain how creation started, that would be abiogenesis. Evolution merely explains the mechanism by which species adapt to their environment.
  • Options
    spiney2spiney2 Posts: 27,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    a species changes only if random mutations better fit into a changing environment over a long enough timescale ......

(yet another disguised religion thread !)
  • Options
    Jol44Jol44 Posts: 21,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm an ape, how would I know?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

god created a giant food chain with bigger animals killing and eating smaller ones all the way down to microbes. how wise. how noble. how loving.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hoffmister wrote: »
    Its just like the good book says "Humans may be related to monkies but they rarely invite them round for tea"

They also say they are still looking for the missing link...I still reckon I married into that family

well there were those p g tips tea party ads on telly. these stopped because the monkeys complained ......