Do You Think Some People Like Being In Prison?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,910
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Is it really a deterrant to some?

I wonder if some people just can't cope or function on the outside, they cope best with rules and routine. Also perhaps some really have literally nothing on the outside. No friends no family maybe no roof over their heads in some cases.

The other thing is that as ex offenders will perhaps struggle to find a job or a clean start in life they may decide just to keep on going back to prison.

You might even get a few who enjoy going there cos they like all the aggro, they might thrive in such a hostile environment.

Thoughts?

Comments

• anais32anais32 Posts: 12,963
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's not a deterrent to anyone. Never has been. I've been in many prisons and met many prisoners. None of them 'liked' being in prison. Many of them, however, didn't much like life outside it either. Lots understood prison better. They knew what was expected of them and the rules made sense.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,910
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    anais32 wrote: »
    None of them 'liked' being in prison. Many of them, however, didn't much like life outside it either. .

Yes i think thats perhaps a big part of it. They don't much like life in the outside world either.
  • Pumping IronPumping Iron Posts: 29,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's not a deterrent to anyone. Never has been. I've been in many prisons and met many prisoners. None of them 'liked' being in prison. Many of them, however, didn't much like life outside it either. Lots understood prison better. They knew what was expected of them and the rules made sense.

It's a massive deterrent to me. I would lose my house, my job, my freedom, possibly my family etc.

For those with nothing to lose, it may not be such a deterrent.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,713
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some prefer it to an unstructured and chaotic life outside. It's probably better for people like that.
  • AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, some will.
    You hear of some prisoners becoming institutionalised. They know where they are in that environment, so to speak, and may have learned how to navigate that system. Also many people on release from prison may find it difficult to be accepted by society at large, in terms of things like gaining employment.
  • Hugh JboobsHugh Jboobs Posts: 15,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's a massive deterrent to me. I would lose my house, my job, my freedom, possibly my family etc..

Yep, the only people prison is a deterrent to are decent law abiding citizens who would never dare do anything to warrant ending up there.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36,630
    Forum Member
    Absolutely.

Long term prisoners can easily become institutionalised. They get used to the routine, they make friends, they may even gain a certain level of respect and admiration. They may have some form of employment that breaks up the day.

When they are released they lose all of that, outside they are generally nothing but an "ex con". They have little structure, may even have completely lost touch with friends and family, have little choice on where to live and risk homelessness etc. To ex prisoners that end up in that situation I can understand why many may chose to commit another crime and prefer to be back inside.

There's been a couple of interesting documentaries on such subjects recently.

Long term prisoners get a certain level of support, many get help with housing, budgeting, help with claiming benefits etc. Some even learn a trade when inside which can help them get employment outside. Unfortunately that isn't consistent, some prisons offer none of that.

But short term prisoners get none of that help at all. They are released at the gates with their £40 odd pound allowance and sent on their way, left to their own devices. Often they end up right back in whatever situation, and amongst the same people that got them into trouble in the first place.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yep, the only people prison is a deterrent to are decent law abiding citizens who would never dare do anything to warrant ending up there.

I don't think they are law abiding to be in prison. Strange comment.
  • kippehkippeh Posts: 6,655
    Forum Member
    It's not a deterrent to anyone. Never has been.

It's a deterrent to me, it would fk my life up good and proper getting sent down. So not universally true.
  • Hugh JboobsHugh Jboobs Posts: 15,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't think they are law abiding to be in prison..

Well yeah, that's exactly my point. I'm saying that decent people would find it a deterrant. Scrotes who choose to live outside the law don't see it that way.
  • James FrederickJames Frederick Posts: 53,184
    Forum Member
    No my Dad who last I saw him had spent about half his life in prison said it wasn't a deterrent in fact he always said prison was far to easy and wished it was tougher as that may put some of the younger ones off committing crime again

I don't know if he liked it inside but he certainly didn't care about been there even when he got out he more than once committed a crime (usually assault-mugging) the same day.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well yeah, that's exactly my point. I'm saying that decent people would find it a deterrant. Scrotes who choose to live outside the law don't see it that way.

Well yes that's obvious.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kippeh wrote: »
    It's a deterrent to me, it would fk my life up good and proper getting sent down. So not universally true.

Exactly its a huge deterrent to me also.
  • SteganStegan Posts: 5,039
    Forum Member
    Criminals in the UK have it relatively easy compared to those abroad. It's not really surprising they don't mind too much going back in prison as people have said.
    Forum Member
    Stegan wrote: »
    Criminals in the UK have it relatively easy compared to those abroad. It's not really surprising they don't mind too much going back in prison as people have said.

Our prisoners certainly have it easy compared to Third World countries, but our prisons seem remarkably similar to those of most other developed Western nations, and some countries have a far "cushier" prison regime than we do, check out Norway's prison system for example. But maybe that isn't a bad think, Norway has supposedly cut re offending rates by concentrating on rehabilitation rather than having the focus on punishment. They';re doing something right if that is the case, surely?.
  • realwalesrealwales Posts: 3,110
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I overheard two blokes talking about this issue on a train recently. One was an ex-con, and in summary, he said that prison was OK - three square meals a day, a TV and games console in his cell, gym facilities. He said that the downside was that he couldn't speak to or see his family when he wanted to. That, to him, was the main downside.

I believe that prison is nowhere near tough enough to act as a deterrent. I don't believe in torture, but it should have the very basics you need to survive: basic food, hard work, no TVs, games consoles or entertainment, apart from educational books, no phone calls home, and one family visit per month.
  • JakobjoeJakobjoe Posts: 8,235
    Forum Member
    some people are just bad and end up where they deserve..ive no sympathy for crims..
    i agree prisons should be harsher to be a deterrent..
  • Gordie1Gordie1 Posts: 6,993
    Forum Member
    I think some people learn to live with it, and become comfortable with it.

the same goes for some long term, multi-generational benefits claimants, it becomes the norm, their comfort zone if you will.
    Forum Member
    realwales wrote: »
    I overheard two blokes talking about this issue on a train recently. One was an ex-con, and in summary, he said that prison was OK - three square meals a day, a TV and games console in his cell, gym facilities. He said that the downside was that he couldn't speak to or see his family when he wanted to. That, to him, was the main downside.

I believe that prison is nowhere near tough enough to act as a deterrent. I don't believe in torture, but it should have the very basics you need to survive: basic food, hard work, no TVs, games consoles or entertainment, apart from educational books, no phone calls home, and one family visit per month.

The prison reward system that allows the use of a TV or games console for prisoners who behave is not there to benefit prisoners, it is primarily to encourage good behaviour making it safer and easier for prison officers and staff. If prisoners misbehave, don't engage with productive work where available, or take part in rehabilitation programmes if on offer then those privileges get removed as punishment. It's one of the main reasons that our prisons are nowhere near as violent as prisons in many other countries are, and why things like large scale riots for example are relatively rare here.
  • BastardBeaverBastardBeaver Posts: 11,903
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I suspect it can be favourable to certain other situations. I have found myself homeless for the past month, and on some days I fantasise about the idea of commiting a crime and just going to prison just for some stability... However I'm too much of a wimp / decent person to commit a serious enough crime.
  • Keyser_Soze1Keyser_Soze1 Posts: 25,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I once got talking to two young blokes in a pub.

I wish I hadn't as they they were up for serious GBH and actually were not bothered whether they were found guilty or not as they had many mates inside and said it was pretty easy when you knew people.

Not bothered about the victim of course.

Which I think says a lot about the system at the moment.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Our prisoners certainly have it easy compared to Third World countries, but our prisons seem remarkably similar to those of most other developed Western nations, and some countries have a far "cushier" prison regime than we do, check out Norway's prison system for example. But maybe that isn't a bad think, Norway has supposedly cut re offending rates by concentrating on rehabilitation rather than having the focus on punishment. They';re doing something right if that is the case, surely?.

The prison system in Singapore (although a lot stricter than ours) also focuses a lot more on rehabilitation and the reoffending rates are far less over there too.
  • James FrederickJames Frederick Posts: 53,184
    Forum Member
    I suspect it can be favourable to certain other situations. I have found myself homeless for the past month, and on some days I fantasise about the idea of commiting a crime and just going to prison just for some stability... However I'm too much of a wimp / decent person to commit a serious enough crime.

For Homeless people prison must be far better than the life they have as they at least get a roof a bed and 3 meals a day far better than sleeping on the floor or a bench if they are lucky no matter what the weather is and having to go though bins and pick up scraps of food off the floor.
  • rupert_pupkinrupert_pupkin Posts: 3,975
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes. Fruitcakes
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For Homeless people prison must be far better than the life they have as they at least get a roof a bed and 3 meals a day far better than sleeping on the floor or a bench if they are lucky no matter what the weather is and having to go though bins and pick up scraps of food off the floor.

There wouldn't be so many homeless people if that were the case. If I were homeless at least I would still have my freedom and hope that I could improve my situation. For other people drugs and alcohol maybe involved, and they would rather have them and live on the street, over being clean and in prison.