Options

An Alternative To Benefit Sanctions?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,910
Forum Member
✭✭✭
So this is a big topic at the moment, a big issue. A lot of people on benefits are getting sanctioned for not complying with job centre and work programme demands. People get left with nothing to live on. Many people find this unacceptable, i also find it cruel and a flawed system.

As they seem to want to go down this road of 'do as you're told or face punishment' what else could they put in place instead of taking money away and leaving people with nothing? I think they could do some kind of 'community service' type thing where the person finds themselves having to do 4 hours in the local charity shop or picking litter in the local park on saturday morning or something until they decide to comply.

This must be a better idea than leaving people destitute and could even benefit them if they were getting a bit of work experience!

Thoughts?

Comments

• Options
    TheTruth1983TheTruth1983 Posts: 13,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Get rid of all benefits and implement some form of basic citizens's income.
  • Options
    tghe-retfordtghe-retford Posts: 26,449
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pjw1985 wrote: »
    This must be a better idea than leaving people destitute and could even benefit them if they were getting a bit of work experience!
    The concept of benefit sanctions is twofold - to disuade people from claiming benefits in the first place and secondly to save money. Seems backed-up by the type of sanctions being levelled at claimants being so trivial and purely designed to meet targets and pursue a particular ideology.
    Get rid of all benefits and implement some form of basic citizens's income.
    I suspect any future Conservative or Labour Government will only implement the first part of that sentence. :(
  • Options
    AbominationAbomination Posts: 6,483
    Forum Member
    I would agree that sanctions to benefit are wrong. It is never acceptable to threaten a person with starvation and potential homelessness in order to make them comply, especially when it is so easy to "break the rules".

I've been sanctioned twice in six months - Once as the result of a computer error, once because I'd accidentally let my phone auto-correct my postcode on a job application into lower case letters (I know!). The former incident left me without any money for four weeks though it was eventually back dated. The latter incident unfolded in late January and they made it so that the two week period fell across six weeks, so I had no money at all until March. I was nearly made anorexic as I couldn't afford to eat and I only yesterday received a letter saying they will consider my case for potential back dating.
    In addition to all that it has probably kept me on benefits as well, as I can't always afford to get to job interviews and it knocks my confidence in an interview tenfold as the prospect of needing work boils down to whether I will be eating that week.

I think a basic citizens income is the way to go. It would keep people going and motivate the majority to keep on top of a job search - there would be a minority that abuse the system but when has that not ever been the case? It would also potentially SAVE the taxpayer money - the amount spent on sanctions is ridiculous, especially as over half of them are overturned. They could save further money by scrapping schemes like the work programme which have been proven to make unemployment worse than it would have been if the Government hadn't done anything at all.

The days of benefits claimants being scroungers are over - it isn't fair to make people live in fear just because there aren't enough suitable jobs to meet demand. I didn't work hard at school only to finish a few years ago to be looked down on by society and punished by an incompetent job sector that doesn't know what to do with me other than empty my table of food and make my life an utter misery.
  • Options
    BunionsBunions Posts: 15,023
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would agree that sanctions to benefit are wrong. It is never acceptable to threaten a person with starvation and potential homelessness in order to make them comply, especially when it is so easy to "break the rules".

I've been sanctioned twice in six months - Once as the result of a computer error, once because I'd accidentally let my phone auto-correct my postcode on a job application into lower case letters (I know!). The former incident left me without any money for four weeks though it was eventually back dated. The latter incident unfolded in late January and they made it so that the two week period fell across six weeks, so I had no money at all until March. I was nearly made anorexic as I couldn't afford to eat and I only yesterday received a letter saying they will consider my case for potential back dating.
    In addition to all that it has probably kept me on benefits as well, as I can't always afford to get to job interviews and it knocks my confidence in an interview tenfold as the prospect of needing work boils down to whether I will be eating that week.

I think a basic citizens income is the way to go. It would keep people going and motivate the majority to keep on top of a job search - there would be a minority that abuse the system but when has that not ever been the case? It would also potentially SAVE the taxpayer money - the amount spent on sanctions is ridiculous, especially as over half of them are overturned. They could save further money by scrapping schemes like the work programme which have been proven to make unemployment worse than it would have been if the Government hadn't done anything at all.

The days of benefits claimants being scroungers are over - it isn't fair to make people live in fear just because there aren't enough suitable jobs to meet demand. I didn't work hard at school only to finish a few years ago to be looked down on by society and punished by an incompetent job sector that doesn't know what to do with me other than empty my table of food and make my life an utter misery.
    Leaves me f**king speechless......:(
  • Options
    gothergother Posts: 14,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I've always strongly believed that the work programmes should be scrapped and the money used to train people for new skills ect, skills such as nurses, engineering which the UK is crying out for. This would make us less reliant on workers coming in from other countries to fill the gap. I have nothing against imigrants btw.
  • Options
    kippehkippeh Posts: 6,655
    Forum Member
    There is nothing inherently wrong with a conditional welfare system, as long as the rules are balanced, neither just handing out money (a la "citizen's income) nor being too draconian with the rules to enforce sanctions.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,910
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gother wrote: »
    I've always strongly believed that the work programmes should be scrapped .

It's a truly horrendous waste of time. The last course i had to attend there we were all patronised to death with common sense stuff that you would have learnt by the age of 13. No one wanted to be there, everyone was so miserable. It was obvious everyone was there for only one reason - they knew they would get sanctioned otherwise
  • Options
    1Mickey1Mickey Posts: 10,427
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So this is a big topic at the moment, a big issue. A lot of people on benefits are getting sanctioned for not complying with job centre and work programme demands. People get left with nothing to live on. Many people find this unacceptable, i also find it cruel and a flawed system.

As they seem to want to go down this road of 'do as you're told or face punishment' what else could they put in place instead of taking money away and leaving people with nothing? I think they could do some kind of 'community service' type thing where the person finds themselves having to do 4 hours in the local charity shop or picking litter in the local park on saturday morning or something until they decide to comply.

Thoughts?

I think it depends on what the punishment is for. If they missed some form of workfare training then the time they missed should be added to their sentence. If they missed a guided job search session, as I did in February and got sanctioned a months money for, a more reasonable form of torture than possible starvation in a flat with no electric or gas would be to make them do 9-5 Job search for a couple of days at the work programme centre.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,182
    Forum Member
    The sanctions make me wonder why more don't try to find cash in hand work. Not legal, but if the government can just pull the rug from beneath you at any stupid whim, is there and wonder why some do turn to crime just to get by? Anyone in that situation gets my sympathy. The government and the council are a complete joke to deal with.
  • Options
    1Mickey1Mickey Posts: 10,427
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sootysoo wrote: »
    The sanctions make me wonder why more don't try to find cash in hand work. Not legal, but if the government can just pull the rug from beneath you at any stupid whim, is there and wonder why some do turn to crime just to get by? Anyone in that situation gets my sympathy. The government and the council are a complete joke to deal with.

When I was in my teens I did cash in hand work for a short time twice but the place I worked at the first time got in trouble because of tax (and for employing kids that should've been at school). I'm not sure if its the same everywhere but the only work I know of that's cash in hand is building work and its hard to get if you don't already have years of experience.
  • Options
    AxtolAxtol Posts: 8,480
    Forum Member
    I think sanctions should stay but be more of a last resort punishment instead of being the default one.
  • Options
    Chris FrostChris Frost Posts: 11,022
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The stories I'm hearing about sanctions are bordering on criminal. I've heard of people being sanctioned for not attending a job centre appointment because they're on a training course that the job centre organised! How the hell can one person be in two places at once?

The other issue with sanctions is that they are incredibly damaging. If a person is literally only scraping by, then how can losing their benefits for weeks at a time actually help or encourage them? Talk about kicking someone when they're already down.

Then there's the activity just for the sake of it. You need to complete X number of job applications a day, irrespective of whether you have the skills for those jobs. What a waste of time for the person and for the advertising company. Sifting through hundreds or thousands of irrelevant and pointless applications just so some nerk in a Government department can see a target achieved.

A sanction should be the last resort, not the first. Use some common sense and don't penalise people unjustly.
  • Options
    SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

Thoughts?
    What if the person doesn't want to do this voluntary work ?
    A sanction should be the last resort, not the first. Use some common sense and don't penalise people unjustly.

Totally agree
  • Options
    Janet PlankJanet Plank Posts: 10,253
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If unemployed people did community work in exchange for their benefits it would give them dignity in the community and they would not be referred to as scroungers. It would also keep up their work routine for when a permanent job came along, giving them something to get up in the morning for and making friends at the work they are doing. Of course we will always have the people who don't want to work - like their fathers before them - I don't know what the answer to that problem is.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,182
    Forum Member
    If unemployed people did community work in exchange for their benefits it would give them dignity in the community and they would not be referred to as scroungers. It would also keep up their work routine for when a permanent job came along, giving them something to get up in the morning for and making friends at the work they are doing. Of course we will always have the people who don't want to work - like their fathers before them - I don't know what the answer to that problem is.

Or, you know, we could just not refer to anyone as a scrounger.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,168
    Forum Member
    The punishment for missing a Jobcentre interview is more severe than punishment for most crimes. At least a prison will feed you and put you in a heated cell.
  • Options
    StrmChaserSteveStrmChaserSteve Posts: 2,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Very interesting article
    Iain Duncan Smith's new Pip system (replaces DLA) - already a shambles !!

Personal independence payments are a punishment of the poor and ill
    Polly Toynbee

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/apr/11/iain-duncan-smith-pip-payments-punish-poor-ill-dying?CMP=twt_gu
  • Options
    Janet PlankJanet Plank Posts: 10,253
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sootysoo wrote: »
    Or, you know, we could just not refer to anyone as a scrounger.
    I do not refer to benefit claimants as 'scroungers'. But there is a significant body of society who think people are 'scroungers' if they get something for nothing, If claimants were doing a reasonable job in return for their benefits, we could eliminate this unpleasant name calling.
  • Options
    Watcher #1Watcher #1 Posts: 9,046
    Forum Member
    I do not refer to benefit claimants as 'scroungers'. But there is a significant body of society who think people are 'scroungers' if they get something for nothing, If claimants were doing a reasonable job in return for their benefits, we could eliminate this unpleasant name calling.

It's amazing, we have this thing called a minimum wage for work. If we are going to create a magical million of jobs for the unemployed, we should pay them the legal minimum for their time.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36,630
    Forum Member
    I'd agree we need some form of system than ensures people stick to the rules, but the problems are many with the current system.

No one should be sanctioned without proper prior notice detailing the reason a sanction is proposed, and giving them proper time to appeal as well as setting out exactly how to make that appeal. And NO sanction should apply until the outcome of that appeal. It should most definitely not ever be the case that the first time someone knows they've been sanctioned is when they attempt to use the cash machine on the day their benefits were meant to be paid. To leave someone destitute, with absolutely no notice and no real idea why is completely disgusting in my opinion.

The rules need to be properly clarified too, it can often be down to a JC adviser's discretion whether or not to put someone forward for a sanction, that should not be the case. There should be clear, written guidelines on when a sanction can be applied and claimants should also be fully aware of those guidelines.
  • Options
    Forum Member

If claimants were doing a reasonable job in return for payment then they wouldn't be unemployed.

If there is enough work to keep 2 million JSA claimants occupied then make them proper jobs, and pay them the minimum wage (at least) and the problem would be solved.

You talk about "something for nothing", yet seem to think it is OK for councils and companies to essentially get labour for nothing,

But there's the other issue. JSA only makes up a very small percentage of the welfare budget, yet are one of the main scapegoats for the recession and the cost of welfare (along with the sick and disabled). If JSA was completely scrapped tomorrow it wouldn't cut income tax for working taxpayers by much, if at all.

Yet it is pensioners that account for over half of the welfare budget, but little if any of the welfare cuts affect pensioners. Why?. Pensioners tend to be active voters.
  • Options
    Early BirdEarly Bird Posts: 2,147
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yet it is pensioners that account for over half of the welfare budget, but little if any of the welfare cuts affect pensioners. Why?. Pensioners tend to be active voters.
    they have also paid into the system for far longer than any of us!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Early Bird wrote: »
    they have also paid into the system for far longer than any of us!

Indeed, but the cuts are supposed to be about saving money and that just isn't really going to happen unless they can tackle costs of the biggest benefactors of the welfare state, and the burden is growing and set to grow further as the population ages.

It IS going to have be looked at at some stage, but it is a political hot potato given that pensioners are active voters.
  • Options
    TheTruth1983TheTruth1983 Posts: 13,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kippeh wrote: »
    There is nothing inherently wrong with a conditional welfare system, as long as the rules are balanced, neither just handing out money (a la "citizen's income) nor being too draconian with the rules to enforce sanctions.

You might want to do a bit of research into citizen's income. It is a concept supported by liberals and libertarians alike.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,954
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Job Centre should try and actively help people to find a job, they either give money to people without properly checking they are seeking employment or take money from those who are.