Options

Are the co-op in trouble?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,341
Forum Member
The current MD resigns after just four months on the job after the previous MD resigns.
Is this a bad sign?

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,133
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As opposed to good ?
    :D
  • Options
    lemoncurdlemoncurd Posts: 57,778
    Forum Member
    I think they'll survive - it's only the bank that's floundering and that's just because of their capitalisation plans from a few years ago. Put it this way, they're still spending money on NOMA in Manchester, so they clearly think it's business as usual.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    So they say up at head office.
    Even one of my team leaders and some of the customers said it was a bad idea opening a Co-Op in Whalley Range.
  • Options
    WellHiddenMarkWellHiddenMark Posts: 1,797
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    motsy wrote: »
    So they say up at head office.
    Even one of my team leaders and some of the customers said it was a bad idea opening a Co-Op in Whalley Range.

Why is that? Whalley Range has been largely gentrified by Chorlton overspill in the last few years.

The one on Copson St in Withington is still a joke though, even with the competition from Sainsburys and the far superior Co-Op branch on Burton Road.
  • Options
    cpu121cpu121 Posts: 5,330
    Forum Member
    lemoncurd wrote: »
    I think they'll survive - it's only the bank that's floundering and that's just because of their capitalisation plans from a few years ago. Put it this way, they're still spending money on NOMA in Manchester, so they clearly think it's business as usual.
    As it stands, the Bank has a better chance of surviving than the Group.

The acquisition of Somerfield has been as poisonous for the retail arm as the Britannia was for the bank. Whereas the bank is moving forward, the Group remains stuck with the same management structures that failed so abysmally over the past decade with far too many vested interests wilfully undermining attempts at reform.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Why is that? Whalley Range has been largely gentrified by Chorlton overspill in the last few years.

The one on Copson St in Withington is still a joke though, even with the competition from Sainsburys and the far superior Co-Op branch on Burton Road.

Because I've had people say bring back NETTO/its shit/too expensive in here.
  • Options
    cjsmummycjsmummy Posts: 11,079
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was wondering the same seeing the news. Their "ethical" persona has certainly taken a bashing now.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    cjsmummy wrote: »
    I was wondering the same seeing the news. Their "ethical" persona has certainly taken a bashing now.

Its alright. I had my suspicions about the Co-op during retraining (and the rest of the ex-NETTO crew, being the mindless sheeple they are, took everything apart from it's EVERYBODY on the staff's job to keep the shop tidy and pick bits of cardboard up because they were so used to me doing it. NOT ONE OF THEM had become capable of doing it themselves and I don't know how they coped when any menial/dirty/cleaning jobs needed doing when I wasn't there.
    They couldn't even think for themselves and here's an example:-
    It could have been raining before I arrived for my shift and NOT ONE OF THEM went outside to collect the newspapers and hiow could I have answered the bell at the tills when there were other staff on the shop floor if I was round the back. Then there was the time I was cleaning up outside and the till operator and the rest of the sheeple there were so used to me answering the ell that the till operator kept on ringing (that was NETTO's version of common sense and logic) and then there was the customer who really needed help carrying shopping home (at least it got m out of the shop for a while while I helped her and she eventually got picked up by somebody) and how could I have put all the frozen stuff out if the freezers were full and the freezers didn't expand and there was no back up freezer?

BOT..
    A load of shopping trolleys and all the proptional signs've had to go from the Whalley Range Co-op and I'm surprised the promotional signs weren't nicked/vandalised and there's been no word from head office.. yet.
  • Options
    cjsmummycjsmummy Posts: 11,079
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Its alright. I had my suspicions about the Co-op during retraining (and the rest of the ex-NETTO crew, being the mindless sheeple they are, took everything apart from it's EVERYBODY on the staff's job to keep the shop tidy and pick bits of cardboard up because they were so used to me doing it. NOT ONE OF THEM had become capable of doing it themselves and I don't know how they coped when any menial/dirty/cleaning jobs needed doing when I wasn't there.
    They couldn't even think for themselves and here's an example:-
    It could have been raining before I arrived for my shift and NOT ONE OF THEM went outside to collect the newspapers and hiow could I have answered the bell at the tills when there were other staff on the shop floor if I was round the back. Then there was the time I was cleaning up outside and the till operator and the rest of the sheeple there were so used to me answering the ell that the till operator kept on ringing (that was NETTO's version of common sense and logic) and then there was the customer who really needed help carrying shopping home (at least it got m out of the shop for a while while I helped her and she eventually got picked up by somebody) and how could I have put all the frozen stuff out if the freezers were full and the freezers didn't expand and there was no back up freezer?

BOT..
    A load of shopping trolleys and all the proptional signs've had to go from the Whalley Range Co-op and I'm surprised the promotional signs weren't nicked/vandalised and there's been no word from head office.. yet.
    You said "sheeple'. I can't. concentrate. now
  • Options
    U96U96 Posts: 13,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No country for old school values.The CO-OP have been on a downward spiral for a long time now.Like Woolies they'll bite the dust.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    U96 wrote: »
    No country for old school values.The CO-OP have been on a downward spiral for a long time now.Like Woolies they'll bite the dust.

D'you know what it's like to have possible redundancy hanging over you and how demoralising it is? Believe me, I've been there.
  • Options
    U96U96 Posts: 13,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    D'you know what it's like to have possible redundancy hanging over you and how demoralising it is? Believe me, I've been there.

Yes.Lots of times.In my present employ I've been up for selection 4 times now.The letter,the interview.The skills matrix(points mean you stay and your workmate goes).
  • Options
    WellHiddenMarkWellHiddenMark Posts: 1,797
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

People in Manchester will say that about everything. They fear change.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It's going to happen. It's the bank that has the problem not the shops.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Have you been told that:confused: It's the banking that's in trouble.
  • Options
    Steve™Steve™ Posts: 7,286
    Forum Member
    Its the most awful shop ever. Every store I have ever been in has very limited stock, its expensive and I have on several occasions put stuff in my basket only to get home and find its out of date. If I do go in a Coop its really just because its convenient. I would never do a big shop there or make a point of going to any Coop.
  • Options
    OvalteenieOvalteenie Posts: 24,169
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd make sure you had less than the maximum sum protected under the financial compensation scheme (I think it's £85k?) just in case the Co-op bank collapses.
  • Options
    Frankie_LittleFrankie_Little Posts: 9,271
    Forum Member
    There's a co-op near my office, the £3 meal deal is awesome. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    My take on the situation...
    Nothing's been said about it affecting the food shops (yet) but it wouldn't surpise me if it was announced that they were selling off some of the shops to other chains and closing some down. A lost odfd people've said to me bring back NETTO/ they should never have got rid of NETTO...

It wasn't them that had somebody suddenly going blind/ unable to understand English hanging around their arse and following them around the shop after telling them for the hundredth time where something is, what the price was and something was at the bottom of the pallet and it migh not have even arrived and them walking off after they've taken everything off the pallet or asking you to open the special offers so that they could see what the product looked like (even if there was a picture on the box) then telling you they down't want it and to put it all back then just walking off or getting baskets of shopping, leaving them on the shop floor and just leaving the shop (It's THEIR shopping, THEIR put backs, THEIR problem and THEIRS only and they should NEVER have been allowed to leave the shop until they put it all back in the right place themselves)
  • Options
    euphieeuphie Posts: 2,280
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My take on the situation...
    Nothing's been said about it affecting the food shops (yet) but it wouldn't surpise me if it was announced that they were selling off some of the shops to other chains and closing some down. A lost odfd people've said to me bring back NETTO/ they should never have got rid of NETTO...

It wasn't them that had somebody suddenly going blind/ unable to understand English hanging around their arse and following them around the shop after telling them for the hundredth time where something is, what the price was and something was at the bottom of the pallet and it migh not have even arrived and them walking off after they've taken everything off the pallet or asking you to open the special offers so that they could see what the product looked like (even if there was a picture on the box) then telling you they down't want it and to put it all back then just walking off or getting baskets of shopping, leaving them on the shop floor and just leaving the shop (It's THEIR shopping, THEIR put backs, THEIR problem and THEIRS only and they should NEVER have been allowed to leave the shop until they put it all back in the right place themselves)

So this thread is less about the CO-OP and their issues, and more of another rant about them from you?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    euphie wrote: »
    So this thread is less about the CO-OP and their issues, and more of another rant about them from you?

No, in fact I prefer working at the Co-op and just wondering how many people now trust a respected name after the banking scandal and what the repercussions for the rest of the group are.
  • Options
    The WizardThe Wizard Posts: 11,071
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Co Op have ruined our town. For years this is all we have had and it's pushed people out of the town to shop elsewhere causing small independent retailers to suffer. If we had a decent supermarket then the place wouldn't be struggling. It's staffed by people which haven't got a clue and couldn't care less. The service is disgusting and the staff are too interested in standing out back having a smoke. The bread is always stale, the stock is limited and vastly overpriced and the overall attitudes of the staff is, can't be bothered and customer service is practically non existent. Do they actually know the meaning of staff training? Even the store managers seem useless and haven't a clue.

This apparently isn't anything unique to our co-op. I hear this story everywhere I go and from people around the country. I went to visit relatives in Kent and the same lame 'can't be bothered' service was rife there too. The checkouts are rarely manned and only the cigarette till is open and staff happily stand around joking with one another when they should be serving. You can't do a full shop there because they haven't got a big enough range and a trolley full of stuff would cost you a fortune. I only ever shop there when I'm desperate purely out of convenience.

Two years ago they built a new store spending £8m on a bigger one but it's the same old story. Same crap badly managed store. Same overpriced groceries. Same idiotic staff with the same bad attitudes and the same limited choices. All that money and it hasn't brought in any more customers because it's basically the same old rubbish only bigger.

Thankfully we're getting a new supermarket soon with on site petrol station and now the co-op are panicking because they think it will put their store out of business. Sorry co-op but you had your chance and blew it. Time for a decent supermarket to move in and show you how it's done. It will also put the only petrol station in town out of business too who's been severely ripping everyone off for years due to having the monopoly around here.

I've got no sympathy for businesses who get their comeuppances from competition when they've been overcharging or ripping people off for poor service all this time because they know that customers don't have any other alternative.
  • Options
    Frankie_LittleFrankie_Little Posts: 9,271
    Forum Member
    Blimey, The Wizard, where on earth do you live? The co-op near me, in Buckinghamshire, is fantastic, open til 11pm, great selection of wine, beers, fresh bread and cheese.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The Wizard wrote: »
    The Co Op have ruined our town. For years this is all we have had and it's pushed people out of the town to shop elsewhere causing small independent retailers to suffer. If we had a decent supermarket then the place wouldn't be struggling. It's staffed by people which haven't got a clue and couldn't care less. The service is disgusting and the staff are too interested in standing out back having a smoke. The bread is always stale, the stock is limited and vastly overpriced and the overall attitudes of the staff is, can't be bothered and customer service is practically non existent. Do they actually know the meaning of staff training? Even the store managers seem useless and haven't a clue.

This apparently isn't anything unique to our co-op. I hear this story everywhere I go and from people around the country. I went to visit relatives in Kent and the same lame 'can't be bothered' service was rife there too. The checkouts are rarely manned and only the cigarette till is open and staff happily stand around joking with one another when they should be serving.

Two years ago they built a new store spending £8m on a bigger one but it's the same old story. Same crap badly managed store. Same overpriced groceries. Same idiotic staff with the same bad attitudes and the same limited choices. All that money and it hasn't brought in any more customers because it's basically the same old rubbish only bigger.

Thankfully we're getting a new supermarket soon and now the co-op are panicking because they think it will put them out of business. Sorry co-op but you had your chance and blew it. Time for a decent supermarket to move in and show you how it's done.

Have you ever thought of taking the matters I've boldened up with head office?
  • Options
    The WizardThe Wizard Posts: 11,071
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ovalteenie wrote: »
    I'd make sure you had less than the maximum sum protected under the financial compensation scheme (I think it's £85k?) just in case the Co-op bank collapses.

My son has a trust fund with Britannia which became the Cooperative Bank. He can't get to his money until he's 18. Does anyone know it there's a way it can be released and moved to another bank as I've lost all confidence in the co-op and don't want to end up losing all his savings if the co-op go under.