Options

BBC and old news

scorpio manscorpio man Posts: 4,960
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Anyone know why the BBC keep putting old news on their website 'News' page ?

Todays example .

Gaddafi killed....20 Oct 2011
France has too many foreigners....7 March 2012
Billionaire to build Titanic 2....30 April 2012
Rio summit ends....23 June 2012
Pope Benedict XVI to resign ....11 February 2013

Comments

• Options
    spkxspkx Posts: 14,870
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Only place I can see them is on the Most Read bit, which is just... well, what's the most read...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 706
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This is only in the 'Most Read' list, so is probably generated automatically.

It's been like this for a few days, so my guess is that their website is under some kind of attack, with bots constantly reloading loads of old pages in order to put the servers under strain.

A lot of things like this happen to large websites that you never hear about unless the site actually crashes. But lists like that can provide clues.
  • Options
    D_Mcd4D_Mcd4 Posts: 10,438
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That's their most read articles list. I noticed it today as well and I have no idea why so many old news stories are being read today.
  • Options
    gasheadgashead Posts: 13,822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If the story about the snake that tried to eat a crocodile doesn't reappear for about the hundredth time, I'll be sorely disappointed.
  • Options
    Steveaustin316Steveaustin316 Posts: 15,779
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    gashead wrote: »
    If the story about the snake that tried to eat a crocodile doesn't reappear for about the hundredth time, I'll be sorely disappointed.

It didn't merely try to eat it, it succeeded in doing so.:D

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-26413101
  • Options
    MustabusterMustabuster Posts: 5,975
    Forum Member
    Somebody on a forum somewhere probably resurrected an old thread and everybody is just clicking on the link thinking it's a current news item.
  • Options
    NX-74205NX-74205 Posts: 4,691
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anyone know why the BBC keep putting old news on their website 'News' page ?

Todays example .

Gaddafi killed....20 Oct 2011
    France has too many foreigners....7 March 2012
    Billionaire to build Titanic 2....30 April 2012
    Rio summit ends....23 June 2012
    Pope Benedict XVI to resign ....11 February 2013

That's the 'Most Read' section. As the name implies, it's automatically populated by the most read stories.
  • Options
    yellowparkyellowpark Posts: 2,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's the same with LBC radio news, bringing up old news.
  • Options
    scorpio manscorpio man Posts: 4,960
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    NX-74205 wrote: »
    That's the 'Most Read' section. As the name implies, it's automatically populated by the most read stories.

Oh right.
    Thanks for that.
  • Options
    solarflaresolarflare Posts: 22,383
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh right.
    Thanks for that.

Lol :D:D
  • Options
    CravenHavenCravenHaven Posts: 13,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It didn't merely try to eat it, it succeeded in doing so.:D
    "The snake certainly knew what it was doing"
    that, presumably, would be why it was eating crocodile instead of old boots and supermarket trolleys
  • Options
    lemoncurdlemoncurd Posts: 57,778
    Forum Member
    It's usually when old stories get posted to large websites like Reddit. It only takes a couple of hundred people to follow the link in a short space of time for it to push the page into the "Most Read" top five.
  • Options
    HildaonplutoHildaonpluto Posts: 37,697
    Forum Member
    I havent noticed this?Did the glitch just start today?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I havent noticed this?Did the glitch just start today?

It's not a glitch.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This has been annoying me for months clicking on most read articles to find they are posted from years ago. Have no idea how they came back to life lol.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's not a glitch.

So how comes a article from years ago pops into the top 10? I've even done a google search related to the article to see if it has hit the news again and most of the time I find nothing...
    Weird.
  • Options
    BluescopeBluescope Posts: 3,432
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Their is no New News it is all just old news that comes around again.

This does happen on the BBC site I have noticed it occurring a every 2-3 months. I can see the odd story becoming popular again but some of the stories that get tagged make little sense. I think it is more likely caused by them updating the content servers on the website which clears out some of the data in the most read section.

Once the data is populated again the stories disappear as the most recent news floats to the top. I believe this is the case because it tends to start at weekends and late at night when it is most likely such changes are made.
  • Options
    d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,531
    Forum Member
    Well it's bonkers and irritating, the Beeb need to update their algorithms to stop it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So how comes a article from years ago pops into the top 10? I've even done a google search related to the article to see if it has hit the news again and most of the time I find nothing...
    Weird.

It's merely down to the amount of people clicking links to that article, and the links to those articles are more than likely posted on high-traffic sites like Reddit. ∴ the story is classed as being amongst the 'most read' and appears in the automatically generated 'most read' list.

It ain't rocket science!
  • Options
    The FBIThe FBI Posts: 2,205
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Slow news day
  • Options
    davidmcndavidmcn Posts: 12,112
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's merely down to the amount of people clicking links to that article, and the links to those articles are more than likely posted on high-traffic sites like Reddit. ∴ the story is classed as being amongst the 'most read' and appears in the automatically generated 'most read' list.

And is self-fulfilling as readers on the BBC site (like the OP) click on the "most read" link to see the story...