BBC set to bring back the Generation Game with Miranda Hart

SamuelWSamuelW Posts: 8,447
Forum Member
According to reports, the BBC is set to bring back The Generation Game which will be hosted by tv favourite Miranda Hart:
It is, perhaps, the best loved game show in Britain’s TV history – fondly remembered by millions for its cheesy catchphrases and conveyor belt of less-than-thrilling prizes.

At its peak in the late 1970s, The Generation Game pulled in an astonishing 20 million viewers every Saturday evening, first with Bruce Forsyth at the helm and then Larry Grayson. And now the show is set to make a remarkable return .  .  . with comedienne Miranda Hart taking on the role of presenter.

The BBC plans to screen the new version within a year, and a pilot episode is already taking shape, The Mail on Sunday understands.

‘Everyone is excited about this happening,’ said a BBC source who asked not to be named.

‘Miranda is a great fan of the original show and she has made no secret of her admiration for Sir Bruce Forsyth, the show’s very first host. Miranda and The Generation Game could be a match made in telly heaven.’

Hart, 41, who has established herself as one of the most popular family entertainers in Britain with her sitcom Miranda and her role in hit drama Call The Midwife, will become the first female host of The Generation Game.

BBC bosses say the idea is at the early stages and nothing has been formally confirmed, but they believe the combination of the show’s format and Hart’s family-friendly persona will prove ratings gold.

The star herself is a huge fan of the show and sang its praises in an interview she did with Forsyth last year. She said: ‘Bruce is too modest to say this but I am going to say it for him. During the 1970s the Generation Game was getting over 20 million viewers every week and my family were among them. I loved it. It is one of the greatest game shows ever.’

She even defended the programme when Forsyth himself said it might now be considered ‘old hat’.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2608560/Give-twirl-Miranda-Generation-Game-set-return-hosted-TVs-queen-comedy.html#ixzz2zN0bVAgt
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook
Fantastic news. This is a very strong format which audiences love, so it is good that this is being considered for a revival and could be on our screens in the next 12 months on BBC1

Comments

• Ten_BenTen_Ben Posts: 2,534
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Didn't Jim Davidson host it too?

Always liked the GG but can't abide Miranda Hart, so thumbs down from me.
  • alcockellalcockell Posts: 25,160
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh bloody hell!
    So Danny Cohen throws in the towel and replays the Bill Cotton Jnr playbook..
  • EVILSPEAKEVILSPEAK Posts: 980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I rather watch Jimmy Savile's corpse host this than Miranda Hart. I think that adequately sums up how much I loathe her.
  • TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What a shame, she's really polarising.

If true it's an odd choice.
  • Pink KnightPink Knight Posts: 24,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I saw the headline on the 10.30pm paper review. The most horrific headline I've seen this year so far.
  • vauxhall1964vauxhall1964 Posts: 10,356
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    she's wildly popular with a hit sitcom, a starring role in Call the Midwife and a recent sold out stand up tour. Sure some don't like her - and are very vocal about it - but her doing the Generation Game is quite an astute move. Ideal for a Saturday night BBC 1 audience. She's not been involved in a flop yet and this won't be in any danger of flopping either.
  • ClarkF1ClarkF1 Posts: 6,587
    Forum Member
    She's okay scripted, unscripted and let loose, i shudder to think.
  • AoibheannRoseAoibheannRose Posts: 1,617
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like Miranda's sitcom, but would never watch her in a presenter role as I find her irritating when out of character. I wish tv companies wouldn't 'bring back' shows, and would think up some decent new ones instead. They're never as good as people remember them to be (that's if they were ever actually considered good in the first place). I used to be love The Generation Game as a kid, and wouldn't want my fond memories of it ruined by a rubbish new version.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To be honest, most comedians are rather polarising.

At least it's not an ITV show, or it would be hosted by PJ and Duncan.... as ever.

They should give it back to Jim Davidson or try someone like Sarah Millican (yes, those two will polarise people's views as well!).
  • adamski94adamski94 Posts: 3,042
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I doubt it as jim davidson has already said he has been in talks with ch5 to revive it
  • LenitiveLenitive Posts: 4,263
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like Miranda in scripted shows but she seems a very unusual choice for a gameshow, as though the BBC has went, "Who's popular just now? Miranda Hart! Get her agent on the phone."

Has she ever presented anything before? Reviving a classic primetime series seems like a hell of an undertaking for someone who never has.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wasn't that Big Break?
  • adamski94adamski94 Posts: 3,042
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ten_Ben wrote: »
    Wasn't that Big Break?

Im sure it was the generation game
  • TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    GG has always been a vehicle for the host. The host being an ego on legs but personable with it.

Is Miranda that sort of person? She's more of an actor I think.

I don't think it'll work. I think it's the BBC playing safe again, going with a person with a small following.
  • FlukieFlukie Posts: 40,578
    Forum Member
    This is yet another example (and it was when Jim Davidson did it) that you should never remake a classic.

Nothing beats Brucie doing this show - specially in the 70's, the original version. I'd rather they showed those again!

And I don't like Miranda Hart. I wouldn't be watching anyway.

The games will probably be very hi-tec as well.

No, this is Brucie's show, no one elses. Leave these classics alone!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The trouble is (a) they're bereft of ideas, hence The Guess List, and (b) they want instant success/ratings and will never wait whilst something builds up a following naturally.
  • Pink KnightPink Knight Posts: 24,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Flukie wrote: »
    This is yet another example (and it was when Jim Davidson did it) that you should never remake a classic.

Nothing beats Brucie doing this show - specially in the 70's, the original version. I'd rather they showed those again!

I hated the Jim Davidson version, especially when he interfered with what the contestants were doing, like a bratty kid.
    Brucie was great but the Larry and Isla combo were my favourites.
  • GroutyGrouty Posts: 34,028
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LMFAO, un ******* believable! :D
  • tangsmantangsman Posts: 3,661
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    More Saturday night shite from the Beeb.
  • lloys-strachanlloys-strachan Posts: 1,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bruce and then Larry made the GG their own and would love it to be brought back.
    As much as I like MH, I can't quite see her doing this but wait to be proved wrong.
  • FuddFudd Posts: 166,995
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The show dipped to between 3-4m for it's final run:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/1885548.stm

That's mediocre at best for a Saturday night entertainment format nowadays; back then it would have been seen as disastrous. What caused it's final decline? Was it schedule opposite Pop Idol or something like that?

Didn't they try to bring the show back before with Graham Norton (?) but it didn't get passed the pilot stage?
  • VerenceVerence Posts: 104,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    she's wildly popular with a hit sitcom, a starring role in Call the Midwife and a recent sold out stand up tour. Sure some don't like her - and are very vocal about it - but her doing the Generation Game is quite an astute move. Ideal for a Saturday night BBC 1 audience. She's not been involved in a flop yet and this won't be in any danger of flopping either.

How about Hyperdrive?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyperdrive_(TV_series)
  • alcockellalcockell Posts: 25,160
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    adamski94 wrote: »
    Im sure it was the generation game
    When Brucie left to do Play Your Cards Right for Thames, Jim did the Gen Game for a while after doing Big Break... Lily Savage took over from him.
  • David_HillDavid_Hill Posts: 3,073
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Will she able to commit to it? You never know when her shows's gonna come back on or even if it is. Or for how many episodes. You'd have Generation Game on for a few weeks and then dissapear for a year and a half.
  • RoseAnneRoseAnne Posts: 3,203
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alcockell wrote: »
    When Brucie left to do Play Your Cards Right for Thames, Jim did the Gen Game for a while after doing Big Break... Lily Savage took over from him.

Larry Grayson took over from Brucie on the Generation Game. The others did it after him.

I really don't want it back. We've already got a revamped Blankety Blank (the Guess List) which isn't very good.