Options

Has ronnie o sullivan found inner peace now or is he a fake?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 15
Forum Member
Does he look at peace now or was his manic attitude attention seeking?
He seems so serene now. Is it the right meds?
Is he a bit phony or is he just in a better mind set as he ages.

Comments

• Options
    big macbig mac Posts: 4,583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mellowed with age, perhaps?

Steve Peters has probably had a lot to do with it as well.
  • Options
    SRWSRW Posts: 1,118
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He's a ballbag
  • Options
    mountymounty Posts: 19,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    the kid wot dunnit
  • Options
    InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,706
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Does he look at peace now or was his manic attitude attention seeking?
    He seems so serene now. Is it the right meds?
    Is he a bit phony or is he just in a better mind set as he ages.

He's in a much better place now in large part due to work with a therapist and in part due to his discovery of running as a form of physical and mental health fitness. (He's good at it too).

Was he attention seeking/phony? Absolutely not. I think from the outside it was often difficult to work out what his problem was but he's explained in some detail recently the type of conversations he was having with himself during various matches/points in his career and he was a very unhappy person.. often beating himself up over the slightest things that any other person wouldn't think twice about. He was sat there at matches destroying himself.

He's got on top of those thoughts now and he's found the right balance to allow him to enjoy what he does a lot more and we're seeing the results of that in his game and with his overall mood.

Mental health is a real issue that Ronnie struggled with for years and is now thankfully able to manage and control with various tools. I'm sure there are many other sports people who struggle in similar ways who perhaps don't go public. They should.. it would help awareness. Ronnie has been quite open about it all. If you're genuinely curious I'll post the links to a two part podcast interview where he went into a lot of detail about what went on in his head during games. He discusses it in his book "Running" too.
  • Options
    gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think so. Years ago, he would have probably given up completely as selby turned the screw.