Options

Sagem, Digifusion or Humax ???

2»

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 48
    Forum Member
    As long as we don't have to wait until the OAD wish could take a long time (and because of price too) compare to the web release
  • Options
    Forum Member
    marcdavis wrote:
    Not USB. If you wanted to manually update the firmware on the machine you need to connect it to your pc with a serial cable

Ah ok (that's stupid), does they give you the Serial Cable in the box ?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 327
    Forum Member
    CECEMF wrote:
    ...does they give you the Serial Cable in the box ?

No - it's not an essential part of the kit, but is useful for impatient techies like us who want these bugfixes early. Others can wait until the OTA update.

Details of the update(s) available for download, which you can transfer to your Humax with the serial cable, are at this web site:
    http://www.humaxdigital.com/hcsa/Default.asp

It'll also tell you what cable to get.

(You'll need to register.)

I'm disappointed Humax haven't got some of the easy bugfixes out of the way sooner than this. I can put up with waiting a few months for things like chase play, padding and EPG save to disc, but it's annoying to be waiting for simple things that I gather the 8000 can already do (name change issues) and things like not recording radio from standby.

I'll stop now, I'm waffling...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Do you mean that so far the 8000 is better than 9200 ? lol :D

I mean that is the 9200T is only few month old than is normale that he as less update than 8000 no ?

Actually when the 9200T went out ?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 34
    Forum Member
    I returned the Sagem to Argos in November (after almost a month) and used the money to purchase a Humax from Comet.

My main problem with the Sagem was that it was very unreliable in terms of scheduled recordings and would often split the recording in 2 with a gap of around a minute. Admiittedly, this demonstrates the recoverability of the system if it crashed (I never did find out how or why it crashed, as I was usually out or in bed when this happened!). However, this is not acceptable, especially if the lost ~1 minute contained a crucial part of a movie. :mad:

Also, the Sagem would sometimes only record half a movie and would then just stop recording... Not good! :eek:

I experienced numerous other bugs/"features" with the Sagem, I won't list here as I've seen them all in the Sagem forum.

Having said all that, one feature of the Sagem that I do miss is the capability to merge recordings, which I was able to do with multiple episodes of Balamory (for my daughter!).

Before I purchased another twin-tuner PVR I did my research on the web, especially this forum, and eventually opted for the Humax 9200.

It's all been said before, but this is one excellent piece of kit! The Humax blows the Sagem away in terms of usability, reliability and looks, and I've yet to have one missed recording.

However, I am becoming increasingly concerned with the number of "lost recordings" and nervously check that my recordings are all still there every morning...! I'll be a lot less nervous once this, and the lock-ups issue, have been resolved via a OTA update, and then the Humax will be relatively perfect in my eyes.

I would also like to see the "merge recording" feature but, like most other people, I would prefer the current outstanding bugs to be fixed before Humax start looking at "nice to have" features which the box wasn't sold with anyway... ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Thanks for your feed back now i'm definatly NOT gonna by a Sagem and now i still have the choice with Humax 9200T or Panasonic TUCTH100 or Thomson DHD 4000.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,528
    Forum Member
    Well DO NOT buy the Panasonic either - it's a pile of poo - see the long thread about it in the Panasonic forum for details. Either Humax or Thomson would be a GOOD choice.

Cliff
  • Options
    Forum Member
    CJL wrote:
    Well DO NOT buy the Panasonic either - it's a pile of poo - see the long thread about it in the Panasonic forum for details. Either Humax or Thomson would be a GOOD choice.

Cliff

The think is i'm looking around on internet and hight street shop and the thomson is imposible to find, the panasonic the same and apparently only the humax is easy to find.

What a hard job to find a good PVR :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I'm gonna wait for the new firmware of the HUMAX to make my desition
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 327
    Forum Member
    CECEMF wrote:
    I'm gonna wait for the new firmware of the HUMAX to make my desition

Sounds like the right decision to me. Let's hope you won't have to wait long.

It sounds like Humax are going to address the main problems with the machine, and if they do I won't hesitate in recommending it.

(I don't reckon they'll solve all the lock up problems in the next few months, but it sounds like there are issues with Freeview in general there, so perhaps that can't be expected.)